FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

E3 2010

LostOverThere
So, E3 is upon us again! Starting with Microsoft's conference on the 14th, and Nintendo and Sony's on the 15th, it should be an interesting expo to say the least.

Personally, I'm mostly looking forward to Nintendo and Sony's conference, and other 3rd party titles like Epic Mickey.

Anyone else going to be watching?
driftingfe3s
The new motion controls for the xbox 360 and playstation 3 look interesting but the current games looks pretty lame. It looks like for now it's targeting more of a casual gamer audience like the Wii gamer base. Sill it looks like they have a lot of potential. I can't wait to see what new games come out for them.
Magicman
I'm really excited for the remake of the N64 classic Goldeneye 007. It looks like it will be a great game.
digitalhaze
Man, E3 was a blast. Favourite moments were the Zelda: Skyward Sword demo (motion controls ftl) and the SW:TOR demo. Star Wars the Old Republic will be THE MMO of our time.
QrafTee
After E3 was over everyone pretty much said Nintendo had the best running followed by Sony and trailed by Microsoft. I guess a lot of game reviewers and such felt a little "betrayed" by Microsoft pushing more "casual" Kinect over "core" games.
Nameless
QrafTee wrote:
I guess a lot of game reviewers and such felt a little "betrayed" by Microsoft pushing more "casual" Kinect over "core" games.

What are you talking about fighting tigers barehanded is pretty hardcoh son of a power glove, microSOOOFT! *shakes fist*
QrafTee
Nameless wrote:
QrafTee wrote:
I guess a lot of game reviewers and such felt a little "betrayed" by Microsoft pushing more "casual" Kinect over "core" games.

What are you talking about fighting tigers barehanded is pretty hardcoh son of a power glove, microSOOOFT! *shakes fist*
Fighting? It looked like tickling, but... I guess it could have been fighting.
eday2010
Nintendo definitely stomped the other two this year. Sony didn't show anything that interested me except maybe LittleBigPlanet, and apart from some of the things for Kinect, Microsoft didn't have much I cared about. I didn't care about Fable III since I haven't played Fable II yet.

Nintendo, on the other hand, had a ton of stuff that got me excited.
QrafTee
eday2010 wrote:
Nintendo definitely stomped the other two this year. Sony didn't show anything that interested me except maybe LittleBigPlanet, and apart from some of the things for Kinect, Microsoft didn't have much I cared about. I didn't care about Fable III since I haven't played Fable II yet.

Nintendo, on the other hand, had a ton of stuff that got me excited.
I only fear one thing from Nintendo's Donkey Kong Country Returns... giving other companies idea of rehashing old games with new flares and selling it as a new game.
eday2010
It's not rehashing and old game. It's a new game based on the old IP. And I would rather see new games from old franchises than the same crap we see every year. Oh yippee, yet another Call of Duty. Oh yippee, another Gears of War. Oh yippee, another shooter.

At least it's still a new game. You can't say the same about that Sly collection coming out on the PS3.
QrafTee
eday2010 wrote:
It's not rehashing and old game. It's a new game based on the old IP. And I would rather see new games from old franchises than the same crap we see every year. Oh yippee, yet another Call of Duty. Oh yippee, another Gears of War. Oh yippee, another shooter.

At least it's still a new game. You can't say the same about that Sly collection coming out on the PS3.
If New Super Mario Bros. Wii is an example... I'd still say that it's just a rehash with new flare--the bad part is that it's shorter than Super Mario Bros. 3. Hopefully the developers don't get into the laziness found in similar rehashes.
eday2010
So because it's a 2D platformer, it's a rehash? That makes Super Mario World a rehash as well. And they are all rehashes of the original Super Mario Bros..
QrafTee
eday2010 wrote:
So because it's a 2D platformer, it's a rehash? That makes Super Mario World a rehash as well. And they are all rehashes of the original Super Mario Bros..
No, you've got it completely wrong. Because New Super Mario Bros. Wii is so similar to Super Mario Bros. 3, that's why it's a rehash. There is a item save system, there is a bonus item grab level, there are bonus hammer bros. levels, there is a path-by-path over world, and a ton more things similar to Super Mario Bros. 3 minus a lot more levels. Do you understand now? Or have you not played the two games to see the blatant copy/paste development?
Nameless
You know, a game doesn't have to have staggeringly new concepts to be a good and equally enjoyable game. ('Real life' football is my favourite example here.) I've played pretty much all the old 2D Mario games, and quite happily bought and played NSMBW because it was basically more of the same fun platforming with new levels and such. It's not something you can fairly define as "lazy rehash" because, well, I'm pretty sure design work is far, far smaller a part of the total development time compared to reprogramming / graphically designing / balancing (etc.) everything, but MORE TO THE POINT the originality / familiarity is a sliding scale and the ideal point is largely subjective.

Some players want a largely new experience, but take that too far and it's not really a 'sequel' anymore so much as it is a new game; but for them that's okay. Conversely, some players want a sequel with familiar gameplay and only levels / missions / whatever being original because they have just enjoyed their hunk of delicious Super Mario Apple Pie and will pass on the Cave Story Cupcake to buy another slice, please.

And in the end, both deserts are equally delicious and everyone is equally satisfied!
QrafTee
Nameless wrote:
You know, a game doesn't have to have staggeringly new concepts to be a good and equally enjoyable game. ('Real life' football is my favourite example here.) I've played pretty much all the old 2D Mario games, and quite happily bought and played NSMBW because it was basically more of the same fun platforming with new levels and such. It's not something you can fairly define as "lazy rehash" because, well, I'm pretty sure design work is far, far smaller a part of the total development time compared to reprogramming / graphically designing / balancing (etc.) everything, but MORE TO THE POINT the originality / familiarity is a sliding scale and the ideal point is largely subjective.

Some players want a largely new experience, but take that too far and it's not really a 'sequel' anymore so much as it is a new game; but for them that's okay. Conversely, some players want a sequel with familiar gameplay and only levels / missions / whatever being original because they have just enjoyed their hunk of delicious Super Mario Apple Pie and will pass on the Cave Story Cupcake to buy another slice, please.

And in the end, both deserts are equally delicious and everyone is equally satisfied!
If they're going to do a rehash, don't make the experience shorter than the original. Is that too much to ask for?
Nameless
QrafTee wrote:
If they're going to do a rehash, don't make the experience shorter than the original. Is that too much to ask for?

I ... haven't played SMB3 for years, admittedly, but I don't recall it being longer than NSMBW. I think it might have had slightly more stages per world, but the average length of each stage was slightly shorter plus NSMBW has the star coins to collect (and more replay value, if you like the multiplayer).
LostOverThere
Man, I found NSMBWii to be considerably longer than SMB3. Maybe it was just me though?
QrafTee
LostOverThere wrote:
Man, I found NSMBWii to be considerably longer than SMB3. Maybe it was just me though?
You probably used the warp whistles in SMB3, that's why. Haha.
espinosa
I am very much crazy about the war games. The casting of the gamer is wonderful. Actually, its game is is very decent and conceptive with good sources. I had it very soon when it was issued in market.