FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Favorite non-electronic games

chartcentral
Hi, all! I know there's this other official thread for favorite games but the discussion there has been mostly about computer games and also from consoles and portable devices. So I'm making this alternate thread, to be dedicated to non-electronic games.

So, what are your favorite non-electronic games?

My all-time favorite would be Scrabble and Sungka. Also when I was just a kid, I used to play local games that involved running (hide-and-seek, patintero, shatong, agawan base and the like), pog and marbles with my fellow children at school and in my neighborhood. Smile
wombatrpgs
I'm also a huge Scrabble fan. I love anagrams.

My favorite boardgames though have to be Settles of Catan (everyone loves that) and Acquire. I own my father's original release set for Acquire and my whole extended family plays it. Lots of thinking, lots of fun, and supports lots of people.
weableandbob
Scrabble and Pictionary are probably my two favorite board games.
rayxzero
Sungka, Scrabble, Millionares Game
Peterssidan
I don't know the English name of the game but in sweden it's called Finans. It's a board game similar to monopoly but more advanced. Among other things you have stocks. You can only buy places inside the bank so it's less luck because you don't have to land on the place you want to buy. I have not played a lot of monopoly so I'm not sure about all the differences. Too bad nobody want to play with me Sad

I also like Alfapet. Apparently there is a game called Scrabble that is similar. (I have never played Scrabble)
Nameless
Traditional pen and paper roleplaying games (eg. Dungeons and Dragons) FTW. Not that I actually know anybody else willing to play them, but they're still pretty awesome!

Poker is also pretty fun when you're not actually playing for money or anything.

EDIT: Scratch those, just remembered Mafia.
wombatrpgs
I never got into the whole tabletop RPG stuff, probably because my first RPG was electronic and I could never get used to the slow pace...
spinout
the danish game stratego is one of my favorites!
QrafTee
Um... I'd say Monopoly... until I start losing. Otherwise, I don't mind playing Yu-Gi-Oh, or various forms of poker.
wombatrpgs
spinout wrote:
the danish game stratego is one of my favorites!

It's in English as well, and is one of my old favorites.
Magicman
My favorite card game is probably Texas Hold'em Poker, although a lot of other card games are good too. These games are always a great way to get together with friends and have a good time.
Ghost900
I would say Chess, Monopoly, or Suduku puzzles.
eday2010
Monopoly, chess, Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, Pictionary, Joker Rummy, Skip-Bo, The Game of Life. There were a few when I was a kid that I really liked, including Mouse Trap, Fireball Island, and another whose name I can't remember. It was some sort of Demolition Derby game. It had plastic car tokens that were smashed up, and you had to race from one end of the board to the other. I think maybe it was a dirt valley or something. The board was molded plastic that was thee dimensional. I wish I could remember the name!

Any help?
c'tair
Nameless wrote:
Traditional pen and paper roleplaying games (eg. Dungeons and Dragons) FTW. Not that I actually know anybody else willing to play them, but they're still pretty awesome!

Poker is also pretty fun when you're not actually playing for money or anything.

EDIT: Scratch those, just remembered Mafia.

Oh yes, pen and paper rpg's are damn awesome. It totally depends on the people, so if you had slow and boring games, it's probably the players or the dm.

And poker for fun money? Nah, it's not real poker then, there's no getting into it when you're not playing for cash because things like bluffs, tight-loose or aggresive-passive just don't work when there is not cash. But hey, that's just me, poker literally jumped me and kidnapped my brain lately. Razz
ribozon
definitely monopoly ^^
amperx
well ive played sungka, jolen, and patentero, but my all time favrite game is syatong yeah!!
jigoku05
magic the gathering card game
chartcentral
I also used to play dampa (a game involving rubber bands) as well as card games with my friends when I was a kid. Some one peso candy comes with "free" cards which feature images from hit TV shows (examples: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Dragon Ball). Or is it the other way around (cards for P1, plus candy)? And sometimes, the candy is optional too! Hehe.

Card games such as the following were popular in our neighborhood:
  • Taks - Cards are placed in a marked square on the ground. From the starting line, players would use a pamato (boulder or shooter stone) to try to take out and wins the cards from the square. Cards can also be won by eliminating other players by hitting his/her opponent's pamato with yours if both are outside the marked square.
  • Apir-apir - players hold a card in hand and high-five the opponent. The face-up card wins over the face-down card when they fall to the ground.
  • Lucky 9 - players make use of the numbers found in the card. A dealer shuffles and deals 2 cards to the players. Players can ask for a 3rd card. The numbers on the cards are added. The player with the highest last digit of the sum wins.
  • Count the Heads - A deck of cards is divided into piles (the number of piles depend on the number of players). Players bet on the pile who they think would have the most number of people pictured in the bottom-most card. If a player guesses correctly, he wins; if he doesn't, dealer wins.
  • Unggoy-Unggoy - From the standard set of 52 cards, 1 card is hidden. The rest of the cards would then get distributed to the players. All matching cards (same number or letter) would be discarded. Players will take turns in picking a card from their opponent. If a card matches one on their hand, it is discarded. Game continues until one card is left. Player who ends up with the card that matches the hidden card is the loser and is called the "unggoy" or monkey.
weableandbob
Risk has always been fun for me. It can take a long time, but it's time well spent.
wombatrpgs
chartcentral wrote:

Card games such as the following were popular in our neighborhood:
  • Taks - Cards are placed in a marked square on the ground. From the starting line, players would use a pamato (boulder or shooter stone) to try to take out and wins the cards from the square. Cards can also be won by eliminating other players by hitting his/her opponent's pamato with yours if both are outside the marked square.
  • Apir-apir - players hold a card in hand and high-five the opponent. The face-up card wins over the face-down card when they fall to the ground.
  • Lucky 9 - players make use of the numbers found in the card. A dealer shuffles and deals 2 cards to the players. Players can ask for a 3rd card. The numbers on the cards are added. The player with the highest last digit of the sum wins.
  • Count the Heads - A deck of cards is divided into piles (the number of piles depend on the number of players). Players bet on the pile who they think would have the most number of people pictured in the bottom-most card. If a player guesses correctly, he wins; if he doesn't, dealer wins.
  • Unggoy-Unggoy - From the standard set of 52 cards, 1 card is hidden. The rest of the cards would then get distributed to the players. All matching cards (same number or letter) would be discarded. Players will take turns in picking a card from their opponent. If a card matches one on their hand, it is discarded. Game continues until one card is left. Player who ends up with the card that matches the hidden card is the loser and is called the "unggoy" or monkey.

Huh, where'd you grow up? I've never heard of most of these.
watersoul
Darts, Chess, Monopoly & Scrabble have got to be my favourites. Still going strong at my home whenever friends are around who fancy a change from staring at a screen! Smile
Ankhanu
I love board games.
Some of my favorites include:
.: Ticket to Ride
.: Settlers of Catan (and its expansions)
.: Robo Rally
.: Puerto Rico
.: Carcassonne

I've recently been getting back into Magic the Gathering a bit; I hadn't really played since about 1997 Razz

I'm also big on table top roleplaying. Dungeons & Dragons/Pathfinder, old World of Darkness, West End Games' Star Wars are among my favorites.
wombatrpgs
Ah, Carcassonne is really fun. Can't say I enjoyed Ticket to Ride that much though... There seemed to be very little interplayer action.
Alerrandre
Soccer of course !!!
ham65
I love soccer and volleyball.

Bye Very Happy
Gh0stw4r
Soccer and Monopoly
rayxzero
Badminton and Basketball
speeDemon
Scotland yard,
monopoly,
clue,
scrabble,
chess,
and some more, whose names I don't remember.
Grandhacke
chartcentral wrote:
Hi, all! I know there's this other official thread for favorite games but the discussion there has been mostly about computer games and also from consoles and portable devices. So I'm making this alternate thread, to be dedicated to non-electronic games.

So, what are your favorite non-electronic games?

My all-time favorite would be Scrabble and Sungka. Also when I was just a kid, I used to play local games that involved running (hide-and-seek, patintero, shatong, agawan base and the like), pog and marbles with my fellow children at school and in my neighborhood. Smile

monopoly is mine Very Happy
Romeo27
Scrabble it's good for vocabulary.
Ankhanu
Romeo27 wrote:
Scrabble it's good for vocabulary.

Scrabble just reinforces words you already know... Balderdash introduces new ones Wink
ProwerBot
Scrabble is certainly a classic, but for playing a game anywhere, tic tac toe wins hands down.
cybersa
Playing Cards and UNO.
CheDragon
RISK FTW!!!!!
Just awesome
wombatrpgs
CheDragon wrote:
RISK FTW!!!!!
Just awesome

Ha, Risk is also one of my favorites, but I never really got into it before I started playing it online, so does that even count? Oh well...
Cheeldash
I like Magic, chess and the settlers of catan. I enojoy also pen and paper role playing games, though not D&D
Harrison12
Playing Cards, Monopoly, Scrabble.
chartcentral
I also remember now that I like playing Monopoly, Mastermind and Battleship. Smile
wombatrpgs
Mastermind was a great game for learning logic. When your less than 10 years old, figuring out the right algorithms is tons of fun.