FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wich is the best IDE for PHP?

jorge777
Wich is the best IDE for PHP?
For me is Zend.
ocalhoun
I use zend when I'm forced to code on windows, but if a linux computer is available, I very much prefer quanta+
rayxzero
You can use Netbeans a decent PHP IDE.
cemycc
rayxzero wrote:

On linux netbeans runs great
On windows don`t know why but i get some errors from it.

You can try Eclipse with PHP is better than netbeans in my opinion
Jean-Clod
Komodo Edit! Mozilla-based, tons of configuration options, addons & all! rocks
rayxzero
You can use Dreamweaver also.
Jean-Clod
right, but its not free, nor opensource!
snowboardalliance
I've found PHPEdit to be pretty cool and it's free for personal use. But I don't use an IDE enough yet to really give it a good review. Still, it seems pretty solid from what I've seen. But Eclipse or NetBeans would be my other choices.
Hogwarts
I use notepad++ on windows and vim/gedit on linux for PHP, because IDE's are purely bloat when writing PHP Rolling Eyes
Nemesis234
i use maguma free, has basic php debugging in-built and a previewer, also have wamp installed for a true system test before upload to the web.
Iguleder
I like Eclipse myself, I think I saw some PHP thingy for it. I use it for both Java and Python (with PyDev) and I must say it's the best IDE I ever used, imho. Smile
Diablosblizz
phpDesigner although it is not free. There is a demo though.
dwxco
i love notepad++. Its easy to use, has good features, and is fast.
snowboardalliance
As an update to my previous post, I started comparing Eclipse, Net Beans, and PHPEdit for a project using Zend Framework and I really can't pick one I like best. Net Beans supposedly integrates with the Zend Framework but I'm not seeing the benefits. Eclipse seems nice with PDT but it's missing some functionality I'd like, like more code formatting options to clean up code. PHPEdit is cool but it is only free if you apply for a personal license and then you lose out on a lot of nice plugins that cost money. For now I think I'll stick with Eclipse and try to find more plugins to fill in the gaps.
silverdown
I also prefer Zend as well
Hogwarts
silverdown wrote:
I also prefer Zend as well

Zend.. isn't an IDE

Maybe you mean Zend Studio? Confused
dickerson
I like the Zend IDE. It has a context-sensitive help, hit highlighting, auto completion and lots of other interesting features. It allows remote debugging, but slow.
welshsteve
I really want to get to know how to use php frameworks. I'm looking to get into php development as a job, and most companies are asking for experience in using the Zend framework.
mahirh
rayxzero wrote:
You can use Dreamweaver also.

me too , i use dreamwaever cs5 which has internal debugging and a lot of other features , i used to use php-dev which is open source and free but the newer versions are like _________ but if younare going to use it , better download the older one
chartcentral
Adobe Dreamweaver, Notepad++, Netbeans. Smile
portoskt
adobe tools i like the most
SultanMA
Dreamweaver is best IDE really, it shows the code and the result in a windows.
thnn
SultanMA wrote:
Dreamweaver is best IDE really, it shows the code and the result in a windows.

I find Dreamweaver to be horribly nasty for PHP development. I much prefer Netbeans for PHP development, as I often make use of PHPUnit to unit test my code, and Netbeans makes easy work of this. Netbeans also has very very good syntax highlighting, and code completion.
FunDa
Another vote for Netbeans over Dreamweaver from me.

For PHP Dreaweaver is a bit problematic to use
kacsababa
My vore right now (always changing as new things come out):
PhpStorm 2 > Aptana 3 > NetBeans 7 > Eclipse3.6+PDT > Aptana 2 (had some nasty problems so its behind E+PDT) > Dreamweaver
malaysia
Until now, there ara no free PHP IDE editor.
dude_xyx
I have used Dreamweaver for a while now. It's getting better and better by very latest version.
shomesnehanjan
Well i hate coding on windows but when the situation cannot be avoided i use notepad++ or quanta+ is the God.
ProfessorY91
rayxzero wrote:

Came here to say this. It works well for Java, JavaScript, and Python as well.
Radar
Maybe it's just my personal taste, but I'm not sure if you need a bells-and-whistles IDE for PHP development.

I feel like syntax highlighting is really all you would want.
Navigator
Have tried Eclipse, Notepad++ and a few others, I keep returning to NP++ for some reason, its lightening fast and I recently discovered that it has debugging capabilities through plugins! awwwesome!
Navigator
Navigator wrote:
Have tried Eclipse, Notepad++ and a few others, I keep returning to NP++ for some reason, its lightening fast and I recently discovered that it has debugging capabilities through plugins! awwwesome!

Ah, I can't remember even thinking the above quote. Netbeans all the way!
chartcentral
Notepad++ is sufficient for me. Adobe Dreamweaver and Zend Studio could also do the job if you're willing to shed some cash. Smile
LxGoodies
For php keep it small.. I use Dev-PHP (for Windows)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/devphp/files/Dev-PHP%202.0%20IDE/2.6/

No fuzzy features or comms.. syntax highlighting and php run

On Apple, the Xcode IDE is ok to edit php (eclipse flavor)

Lx
Radar
Anything with syntax highlighting works for me.
dude_xyx
Radar wrote:
Maybe it's just my personal taste, but I'm not sure if you need a bells-and-whistles IDE for PHP development.
I feel like syntax highlighting is really all you would want.

Syntax highlighting is the main thing. But there are other few time savers in Dreamweaver which helps you if you do coding everyday.

Does Netbeans can be used for PHP coding too ? It's free unlike Dreamweaver which is way too expensive for general use.