FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Man walking across USA from New York to Oregon

Starrfoxx
Has anyone been to this site?

http://imjustwalkin.com/

It's about Matt Green, who is walking across the USA from his home in Rockaway Beach, NY to Rockaway Beach, OR. He has a push cart that he spent a year in preparation to have made, and he has been taking pictures and videos of his adventure. The pictures and captions that he's taken can be really entertaining, and I've had a blast following him along on his journey. He brings a tent with him and asks to sleep on the land of farms from people he meets along the way. Most of the time they invite him in their home for food, rest, and a shower.

It's a fascinating story, and he's just doing it just to do it. That's what I like the most about his site. He's not trying to write a book, become famous, or anything. He just decided that he wanted to walk across the U.S. and experience life outside of an office. It's been inspirational to me.
ocalhoun
It was done once before, by a man in the 70's, who in fact crossed the country twice.
(Later he wrote two books on the subject.)

To top that, somebody has already walked around the entire world (skipping oceans of course).

A great idea, of course -- in fact, I've considered doing that*. But it actually isn't as astounding a feat as you might think.

*After I leave the military, I'll take advantage of the GI bill to get a free 4 year education... Once that ends, I'm tempted to simply live homeless for a while (Thoreau like)... If I could manage that while moving around with no permanent address, I might try for an ultra-long-distance trek like this one.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
*After I leave the military, I'll take advantage of the GI bill to get a free 4 year education... Once that ends, I'm tempted to simply live homeless for a while (Thoreau like)... If I could manage that while moving around with no permanent address, I might try for an ultra-long-distance trek like this one.
My cousin is a trucker and has criss-crossed the States a few times horizontally and vertically. And he is getting paid for it too. If there were one nice straight road from East to West, it will probably be OK, but trucking sounds much more fun to me.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
but trucking sounds much more fun to me.

You don't experience much of what you're passing if you pass it at a distance in an enclosed, air-conditioned cab...

You'd likely go a lot of different places, but never experience any of them more than just a view out of a window.

There's still a lot of unknowns about my plans though. Could I support myself on a free-handouts income? Could I do so without an address? Would I walk, leading a pack-horse, or would I ride one horse, with another following with a pack? Would I go all around the world, or stay in-country?
I've got around 6 years to answer those questions though, so I'm not worried.
Starrfoxx
I know that walking across the country or world is nothing new, but I like how this guy shares his adventure with everyone. You don't have to wait for him to write a book or anything about it. You can read about it and see pictures now as he is trekking across the U.S.
deanhills
Starrfoxx wrote:
I know that walking across the country or world is nothing new, but I like how this guy shares his adventure with everyone. You don't have to wait for him to write a book or anything about it. You can read about it and see pictures now as he is trekking across the U.S.
I like that too. Like a "living bio". Very motivational and inspirational as well. Someone living their dream so to speak as well.
Starrfoxx
The guy's humor is awesome. He'll put something in the title of his picture, and then he'll write something funnier in his description. Half the time, the comments to his photos are even better than the photos themselves.

He took a break over the past few days to rest his feet, but he's supposed to be back at it today. He had some challenges with Google Maps claiming "roads" that weren't really roads.
deanhills
Starrfoxx wrote:
He took a break over the past few days to rest his feet, but he's supposed to be back at it today. He had some challenges with Google Maps claiming "roads" that weren't really roads.
Sounds like a great opportunity to do some business with Google to test their maps? Smile