FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer people

vatking
sort-of computer people

~~~~
O ( o. o ) O
() (_----_) ()
\\___||___//
|_______|
// \\
() ()
__| |__
(__) (__)

~~~~
O//( o. o )\\O
() (_----_) ()
\\___||___ //
//|_______|\\
///////////\\\\\\\\\\\
////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\
/////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\
(__) (__)
msphoto
VatKing, that is awesome. I have no idea how you did that, so I will simply admire it. However, I can't imagine personally taking the time or having the patience to do that. How about giving instructions?
Sacred
Nice Very Happy Iv seen a lot of those but never figured out how to do Wink Good Job (=
vatking
All you do acully is use slashes (/or\), curved lines(()), squiggles(~), underlining, underscores
(_), dashes(-), O's(O or o), straight lines(|), periods(.), and more. Start with the hair then the head
and so on. It took me a while to make those.Wink
meep
why aren't you using a fixed width font like courier or courier new?
Captain Fertile
There are some AWESOME images out there, try searching for the phrase "ASCII art" you will be amazed. Shocked
Vrythramax
It's called Ascii Art, a Google search can provide some great examples. Wikipedia also has a description.

Note: This was how we used to post text-art messages on IRC in the past...you can also add color codes for use on many chat servers;)
saratdear
Vrythramax wrote:
It's called Ascii Art, a Google search can provide some great examples. Wikipedia also has a description.

Note: This was how we used to post text-art messages on IRC in the past...you can also add color codes for use on many chat servers;)

Speaking of the Google search, there is a surprise in the Google logo when you search "ascii art". Smile

P.S: Nice to see you again, Captain Fertile!
Vrythramax
saratdear wrote:
Speaking of the Google search, there is a surprise in the Google logo when you search "ascii art". Smile

P.S: Nice to see you again, Captain Fertile!

yeah...I saw that too Smile

and I apologize captain....WELCOME BACK!!!!!!
Xanify
Haha neat. Very Happy
Captain Fertile
Thanks for the warm welcomes guys. Smile

ASCII art is really fascinating to search around and check for. There are also ASCII generators which will create ascii art for words and names you type in or even some that changes images you upload into ascii art.
Bikerman
Vrythramax wrote:

Showing your (and my) age there max. Those where the days - good ole' UseNet - no graphics (hell, no Windows at all), and unbelievably, no commercial activity of any sort in those days - just text and a bit of imagination.

Here's a nice little web-page that will turn your images into ASCII-art automatically
http://www.glassgiant.com/ascii/

eg - you might be able to make out my ugly mug in this
http://bikerman.co.uk/me.html

(PS - I have cans and a microphone on my head - that's not a congenital deformity Smile )
Vrythramax
Bikerman wrote:
Showing your (and my) age there max. Those where the days - good ole' UseNet - no graphics (hell, no Windows at all), and unbelievably, no commercial activity of any sort in those days - just text and a bit of imagination.

Usenet...*sigh*

I don't mind showing my age at times (yeah right!)

Here's a blast from the past for you Bikerman...do you remember a text based (it didn't support graphics) web browser named Lynx? no fair looking it up either Razz

P.S. here's another blast from the past...my original Geek Code!
Bikerman
Yes I do indeed (and no lookups - promise).
That would have been mid 90s. I didn't have it but the college I worked at had it.
Actually I seem to remember that it had some primitive speech capability and was used in special needs....could be mixing it up though....

PS - LOL,...I'd forgotten all about that Smile I was a deprived and unrecognised pseudo-geek so I never had one Sad
vatking
Okay if you are not talking about the topic then STOP replying!!!!!!Ok?????
Bikerman
vatking wrote:

Err...did I miss an election where you were made moderator? I'm sure I didn't...
iman
I think there are some programs out there that can generate ASCII art. However, you won't see the art and passion there.
And personally, I do recommend courier new
soljarag
the only ANCII art I know is from Digg, and thats the Pedo Bear Smile
guissmo
Oh, that Google easter egg was a surprise.
ASCII art is fun to generate. I remember finding a website that can generate ASCII art when you upload a JPEG image. Very Happy Has anyone else seen it?
Bikerman
guissmo wrote:
Oh, that Google easter egg was a surprise.
ASCII art is fun to generate. I remember finding a website that can generate ASCII art when you upload a JPEG image. Very Happy Has anyone else seen it?

Read back up the page.
Arty
Here:
Code:
                                ___    _     ,,
                                  | |_||_    (  )
      sssSSSSSs                   | | ||_   (    )
   sSSSSSSSSSSSs                           sSSSSs )           nn   sSSSs
  SSSS           ii  mM     mmm   pPPPPpp sSS     )     nn    nn sSSSSSS
 SSSs           iII mMMMM  mMmmm pPP  PpppSs      oOoo  nNN   nN SS   SS
 SSSs           iII mMMMMM mM Mm Pp     PPSSSSs  OOOOOO NNNn nNN SSSs
 SSSSSSSssss    iIi mMM MMmM  Mm ppPPppPP  SSSSsoO   OO NNNNNNNN  SSSSss
    SSSSSSSSSs  iIi MMM  MMM  Mm PPPPppP   (  sSOO   OO NN  nNNN     SSSs
          SSSS IIi  mMM  MMm  Mm  Pp   sSSssSSSSOO ooOO nN   NN        SS
           sSS III   MM       MMm pPp    SSSSSS  OOOOO          sssssSsSS
sSSsssssSSSSS   II                         (      )              SSSSSSS TM
  SSSSSSSSS                                (      )
                       the information     (      )
                       superhighway, man!  (      )
                               \           (      )     ,__
     suck, suck!                \ }\/\/{   (      )    /   ``\
          \           _/\/\/\_    |    |   (_ _ _ )    |     |
           _/\/\/\_   \,,  ,,/_   (.)(.)   (,,  ,,)    (.)(.)M
           \,>o(,,/_  \(.)(.) /_  | C  |)  \(.)(.))    C___ |)
           \(.)(.) /_  /C__, @_/  (___/|    /C__, @    /___/\|
            /c    @_/    )  |/      )__|      )  |     __)__/|__
             C_, )/      oooo       /  \\     oooo    /   \/ /  \
              /  |/     /   \\     /    \\   /___\\  /      /    \  tif'94

S u n d a y s   8 / 7  C e n t r a l   F O X
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
vatking wrote:

Err...did I miss an election where you were made moderator? I'm sure I didn't...
This is interesting information. I always thought moderators were appointed by the owner? If it is by election, it would be interesting to know how it works.
Bikerman
deanhills wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
vatking wrote:

This is interesting information. I always thought moderators were appointed by the owner? If it is by election, it would be interesting to know how it works.
If I told you then I'd have to kill you....rules are rules...
erlendhg
Ah! ASCII art. It gives so many good memories.
Have anyone of you checked out the ascii version of Star Wars? You could either open towel.blinkenlights.nl in telnet, or check out the online version at http://www.asciimation.co.nz/

Also, I find Toogle quite amusing. It does a google image search for the phrase you type in, and return the first image on Google's listing as colored ASCII art, only using the characters in your search phrase.

Take for example the search for "google logo": http://c6.org/toogle/index.php?phrase=google+logo
Really cool Wink

Cheers!
chatrack
Hi,

It is hard to believe that some one has really made it by hand. It really need hard work.
There may be programs for making such arts. I do have seen such woks among my orkut friends.
It mean these ascii works are still loved by many of us
deanhills
Maybe it is fun for computer geeks, but I really don't see any beauty in this. I remember the first drawing of this kind I ever saw was the one of Mona Lisa. That was interesting. But can one really describe it as "art"?
Aulos
I suppose you can. The definition of art and what is considered art is being rewritten often. Computer art is a relatively new field of art defined on Wikipedia as: "Computer art is any art in which computers played a role in production or display of the artwork."

I guess ASCII might not be as impressive if it's just used to display a photo or some other picture in text character form. While ASCII generators make it's case as an art form even weaker, I'm sure someone could create an original and impressive piece with ASCII.

Interestingly enough, do a web search for ASCII art on Google converts their logo into ASCII on the results page brought back.
chatrack
Use a dot a matrix printer to print an image . The printout itself is an art of " . "
deanhills
Aulos wrote:
I suppose you can. The definition of art and what is considered art is being rewritten often. Computer art is a relatively new field of art defined on Wikipedia as: "Computer art is any art in which computers played a role in production or display of the artwork."

I guess ASCII might not be as impressive if it's just used to display a photo or some other picture in text character form. While ASCII generators make it's case as an art form even weaker, I'm sure someone could create an original and impressive piece with ASCII.

Interestingly enough, do a web search for ASCII art on Google converts their logo into ASCII on the results page brought back.
Agreed. And I must also admit that with bringing colour and digital texture in, there has been an enormous improvement in the quality of the art.
ProfessorY91
I was curious, so I looked up a pretty decent ASCII Art Generator. It comes in handy when you have small picture gif's of random stuff, and want to post a comment on facebook that includes the picture. A bad example: An ascii middle finger goes a long way. Generators are generators however. http://www.glassgiant.com/ascii/
hunnyhiteshseth
Bikerman wrote:
vatking wrote:

Well he may not be the moderator but I think he has a valid point there. Off-topic discussions should be discouraged and least we can expect is that moderators lead by an example for that.