FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google's Official Answer To PageRank Related Problems

the-guide
After Google PageRank recently update on June 2010 many webmasters noticed a PageRank drop for their websites in several area. The PageRank of these sites was lowered to zero.

However, Google's official recently answer to PageRank related problems as following.

Quote:
Don't worry. In fact, don't bother thinking about it. We only update the PageRank displayed in Google Toolbar a few times a year; this is our respectful hint for you to worry less about PageRank, which is just one of over 200 signals that can affect how your site is crawled, indexed and ranked.

PageRank is an easy metric to focus on, but just because it's easy doesn't mean it's useful for you as a site owner.

Have you noticed "How about your site's PR at last update on June 2010?"... Exclamation
msphoto
The Google Page Rank information was interesting. Thanks for passing it on. It does make one wonder why have it if it is not involved in a goal we should have.
the-guide
msphoto wrote:
The Google Page Rank information was interesting. Thanks for passing it on. It does make one wonder why have it if it is not involved in a goal we should have.

Google Page Rank can affect how your site is crawled, indexed and ranked as well although not much since it's just one of over 200 signals, as Google has been described.

Google Page Rank also useful in some other point such as it can show your site's credibility to your visitors.
inphurno
counting on page rank these days doesn't really mean much. not so long ago people would focus on this exclusively but as things went along you saw pages with lower page ranks get placed higher in google searches pretty much rendering it meaningless. This article is just a clearer display of what has been fact for a while now, Page rank is not the thing to focus on. Focus on good content and make sure people no about your site and google will notice you. Another thing to mention here is that google isn't the only search engine on the net so its not the only way to get traffic to your site Smile
metalfreek
I have heard that Pagerank system will be removed soon is this true? I have also heard that it will be replaced by trustrank or some like that.
inphurno
trustrank is another search engine algorithm developed by stanford (again) in conjunction with yahoo this time. seems interesting but relies on a base set of "trusted" reviews to set certain pages as authoritative. from these reviewed pages links are traced and other sites are rated based on this. seems like this can be easily manipulated like page rank but there the potential fro spam is lessened i guess....
jmlworld
My site was PR5 and nothing changed so far. It didn't drop its PR status.

I don't think this PR thing is something worthy at all. Its only metrics as mentioned and we should not worry about it.
the-guide
Although Google never confirmed that website's PageRank will be removed soon but it's seem that the worth of website's PageRank was decresed everyday. Also, most webmasters believe that finally Google will remove it sooner or later.

Of course, we should not worry about website's PageRank too much.

However, since website's PageRank stay on, nowadays, the websites with high PageRank still have more value than another with low PageRank, by themselve.

Possum
My Page Rank dropped from 2 to 0...

Now I know why...

thx
inphurno
did you change something recently with the site? just interested to know because something like that happend to me a while back so maybe i could help you pin it down...
Possum
Yes I have

I'm changing all my page names from database friendly names such as udopage_203.php to css_color.php
inphurno
ah ok so maybe Google isn't finding your pages and not giving it the old corresponding page rank, that might explain why you lost your page rank. i'm wondering, did you setup some redirect rules to send traffic from the old from database friendly names to the new ones? btw maybe this conversation should be moved to its own thread by making a new thread.
Possum
NO I never set up any redirects. Although in the future I would follow such advice..

My site is experimental so I'm not too effected.

My research has shown me that Google ranks on many site has changed recently

Thank you