FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I'm In a Rock and Roll Band: Live

medesignz
In the UK the BBC are currently broadcasting a call in show for the greatest Band, Guitarist, Drummer and Front Man of all of rock history.

They brought each cat to three.

Band
Led Zepelin
The Beatles
Queen

Guitarist
Slash
Jimmy Page
Jimmi Hendrix

Drummer
Dave Grohl
John Bonham
Keith Moon

Singer
Robert Plant
Kurt Cobain
Freddie Mercury

Flea won best bassist on the largest online vote of recent history

Who would be your favourites?
Afaceinthematrix
By the looks of this, the band that is chosen via votes will be terrible. I see people make this same mistake all the time when talking about the ideal band. They'll put people that are great on their instruments and place them all in one band without actually thinking about how the overall sound will be. You can have a great guitar player, great bass player, great drummer, great keyboardist, and a great singer but if they do not have similar styles and cannot mold together nicely, then there won't be the magical connection needed to make an ideal band. You have to choose people who will be able to connect well. I always say that Dimebag Darrel, Randy Rhodes, Cliff Burton, John Bonham, and Paul Baloff (or maybe Dio now) need to have a Return from the Dead Reunion Tour. That would be epic lol. I think that those people would connect well except maybe John Bonham. Someone like Dave Lombardo would fit in there better but thankfully he is not dead.
liljp617
I seriously never understood the appeal of Slash...I mean, he's a good guitarist, but he's also your pretty generic blues-rock guitarist. He's certainly not even close to the best in rock history. I personally wouldn't put any three of those guitarists in my top 3. I know they've basically achieved legendary status (some of it deservedly, some of it not), but I think much of it was they were in the right place at the right time. From the perspective of my ears, they're not the best, although I love Page and Hendrix.

I feel pretty much the same about Cobain. Nothing against him, but I really never saw anything special in him. If we're going with that era/genre of music, Layne Staley beats the hell out of Cobain on all levels. Plant is one of a kind, as was Mercury.
medesignz
They did a mashup of all artists, and it sounded quite good... I'd like to hear a pro mash up dj have a stab at it.
Ankhanu
liljp617 wrote:
I feel pretty much the same about Cobain. Nothing against him, but I really never saw anything special in him. If we're going with that era/genre of music, Layne Staley beats the hell out of Cobain on all levels.

Cobain CERTAINLY shouldn't be in a list of "best singers", that's for sure. As for what made him special, it was kind of a "right fit for the time", "voice of a generation" thing that really wouldn't have worked in any other circumstances. I think Nirvana would have been a wicked punk band in its own right, without the cultural junk that went down in the late 80s/early 90s, but it was the social circumstances that really thrust them/Cobain up in status.

Layne Staley was a fine musician/vocalist with some pretty solid work, but he didn't have Cobain's charisma, nor ability to really get a message across... he lacked Cobain's mojo, if you will. Musician vs. musician, yeah, Staley would probably come out on top on musical merit... but Cobain was social more than musical, which put him in the place he found himself and why AiC were big and made great music, but not really culturally relevant.
liljp617
Ankhanu wrote:
liljp617 wrote:
I feel pretty much the same about Cobain. Nothing against him, but I really never saw anything special in him. If we're going with that era/genre of music, Layne Staley beats the hell out of Cobain on all levels.

Cobain CERTAINLY shouldn't be in a list of "best singers", that's for sure. As for what made him special, it was kind of a "right fit for the time", "voice of a generation" thing that really wouldn't have worked in any other circumstances. I think Nirvana would have been a wicked punk band in its own right, without the cultural junk that went down in the late 80s/early 90s, but it was the social circumstances that really thrust them/Cobain up in status.

Layne Staley was a fine musician/vocalist with some pretty solid work, but he didn't have Cobain's charisma, nor ability to really get a message across... he lacked Cobain's mojo, if you will. Musician vs. musician, yeah, Staley would probably come out on top on musical merit... but Cobain was social more than musical, which put him in the place he found himself and why AiC were big and made great music, but not really culturally relevant.

Yeah, I suppose if we're using the terminology "frontman" rather than "vocalist," the views change a bit. I guess that's where I take issue.
medesignz
sorry it was front man, i didn't mean to put singers.. it was rather late Razz
_AVG_
Well, I'd vote for The Beatles, Hendrix, Bonham and Mercury.

Although, I disagree with the nominations. Razz
medesignz
_AVG_ wrote:

It was based on a pre selected top 10 which then got shortlisted to 3

What would your nominations be?
_AVG_
medesignz wrote:
_AVG_ wrote:

It was based on a pre selected top 10 which then got shortlisted to 3

What would your nominations be?

Which were the Preselected 10?

Firstly, I wouldn't nominate Zepelin or Queen. (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath are better according to me)

Also, I wouldn't nominate Slash and Jimmy Page (Gilmore, Randy Rhodes are better - in my opinion)

And as far as the singers are concerned, why no Ozzy Osborne?

Let me know the Preselected 10 and I'll put forward who according to me should have been nominated.
medesignz
As requested...

Bands:
Queen
Led Zep
The Beatles
The Clash
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Joy Division
Nirvana
Radiohead
The Rolling Stones
The Smiths

Singers/Frontman:
Freddie Mercury
Robert Plant
Kurt Cobain
Bono
Jarvis Cocker
Debbie Harry
Mick Jagger
John Lydon
Morrisey
Iggy Pop

Guitarists:
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Eric Clapton
Graham Coxon
Johnny Marr
Pete Townsend
Jack White

Drummers:
John Bonham
Keith Moon
Dave Grohl
Ginger Baker
Phil Collins
Stewart Copeland
Mitch Mitchell
Ringo Starr
Lars Ulrich
Charlie Watts

Bassists:
Flea
John Entwistle
Peter Hook
Alex James
John Paul Jones
Lemmy
Mani
Paul McCartney
Paul Simonon
Tina Weymouth

PHEW!
liljp617
eek no Neil Pert or Mike Portnoy!!?

I don't understand the guitar list at all. Are these people you put on the list from personal opinion or are they legitimate picks that people think are some of the "best guitarists" in rock history? There's no way someone like Jack White or Graham Coxon is superior to Gilmour, Rhoads, Iommi, etc. etc. I understand the list can only be so long, but there's some GIGANTIC names being left off that list and some incredibly questionable choices.

As for the frontman category, is it frontman or singer? Because that influences quite a bit in the choices. Ozzy may not be the best singer, but he is, without a doubt, one of the most prominent frontmen in rock history. A number of others were superior frontmen relative to that list (Halford, Dickinson, Dio, etc.). There's a lot more to being a frontman than just singing.

On a significant side note, it's quite obvious no one will ever come close to unanimously agreeing on one combination. People can't even agree on the candidates.
medesignz
I feel the list is British bias, and also commercially viable. So if you were to have a top ten drummer list, who would that be?
militarist
this is great
Starrfoxx
I'm in a band too, but it's on the Wii and PS3 in the form of Rockband. Laughing
gverutes
What is the best "band" version of Rock Band video game?
medesignz
Who would be your ideal line up for the greatest rock band of all time?!
slashnburn99
I always wonder who picks these lists

How many of those bands are on the same record label?
medesignz
slashnburn99 wrote:
I always wonder who picks these lists

How many of those bands are on the same record label?

It was actually picked by musicians, journalists and commentators... Then ultimately, the public.
alugueldelanchaangra
Band
The Beatles

Guitarist
Slash (In my opinion, Angus Young)

Drummer
John Bonham

Singer
Freddie Mercury