FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Formating pc

Denvis
I'm considering a complete format of my laptop. However I want it set out slightly different than my usual layout.

30GB Partition - System files (any drive but C)
The rest - whatever I may see fit (C drive)

How do I do that?

Windows 7 ultimate.
Fire Boar
With difficulty. I tried to achieve something similar recently and it took me a full weekend. First of all, the labelling of your drives is unimportant. You basically want to install Windows to your 30 GB partition, then before setting up a user account use ROBOCOPY with about 50 different flags to copy your Users, User Data and Program Files directories to the other partition, then delete each of these directories (as much as possible). I think after that the command is MKLINK /J to create a link to these directories from your 30 GB drive. Oh, and don't forget to edit the registry to point to the new location.

... that's basically how you do it. You'll need to look up the specifics. Unless someone can think of an easier way.
infinisa
Hello Denvis
Denvis wrote:
I'm considering a complete format of my laptop. However I want it set out slightly different than my usual layout.

30GB Partition - System files (any drive but C)
The rest - whatever I may see fit (C drive)

How do I do that?

Windows 7 ultimate.

Why make life so difficult for yourself? Why not do as I do and put your system files on C: and everything else on D:?

Assuming your disk has a single partition at present, you just need to shrink the current partition (C:) and then create a new partition (D:).

To be on the safe side, you should backup drive C: before shrinking it.

Hope this helps
ocalhoun
^Indeed, using a program like partition magic, you may likely be able to do this without formatting the partition windows is on now.
(Just remember to defragment the drive first, which will help the process be more effective.)

@Fire Boar:
It's a lot simpler if you just consider user accounts to be system files, and save your documents to directories you create in the second partition.
Nemesis234
ocalhoun wrote:
^Indeed, using a program like partition magic, you may likely be able to do this without formatting the partition windows is on now.
(Just remember to defragment the drive first, which will help the process be more effective.)

@Fire Boar:
It's a lot simpler if you just consider user accounts to be system files, and save your documents to directories you create in the second partition.

i cannot discourage the use of partition magic enough, twice i have used it, twice it has f**ked my hard drive and left all data unrecoverable.
Fire Boar
ocalhoun wrote:

I'd have to agree with Nemesis234 here. Partition Magic isn't very good and it is expensive. Gnome Partition Editor is a better choice: it's completely free, you just download a smallish .iso image and boot up a CD burned with it. The utility also comes with the Ubuntu live CD, so if you have one of those or know someone who does you can boot it up instead and save yourself a CD: simply press Alt+F2 when the desktop appears and type "gksudo gparted" (without quotes) to run the utility.

ocalhoun wrote:
@Fire Boar:

It's not that simple though. Many programs insist on saving data into the user directory defined by Windows. Sometimes it's just the default path and you have to keep navigating to the proper directory, other times (often with games) it's hard-coded. Your approach has a number of pitfalls that will bite you every time you make use of it, whereas mine is difficult to achieve at first but once it's set up it works flawlessly and integrates very nicely with the rest of the system. But by "difficult to achieve at first" I mean "it took me a weekend to do it properly with numerous reinstalls until I got it right, and I'm competent with computers".
lightwate
Windows 7 comes with it's own advanced software to handle your disk partitions. If you want the user friendly one (with the GUI), you can go to start and type in "disk management". From there you can partition your disks anytime you want.

If you're doing a complete reformat, then the same utility can be found in the windows installer. If you only have access to the command line, you can also use the command
Code:
diskpart
which as the same capabilities of the disk management tool Very Happy
aningbo
why dont u just insert the dvd and follow the onscreen instruction?

it wont take an hour to format your system and partition ur hard drive. give it a try. its a catwalk.