FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Colemak keyboard layout.

meep
I've recently downloaded the Colemak keyboard layout, and I must say i find it really easy so far (still in the learning stage, and I still confuse s and r, but I'll manage Smile).
I kind of wondered if there are other Colemak users out here, and if there are any, what are your experiences learning/using Colemak?

For people that don't know what Colemak is, I've included an image:

It's designed to minimize the chance of rsi, and to be easier for touch typist to learn than the dvorak layout.

P.s this took 20 minutes to type Laughing
Nemesis234
lol, think ill stick to qwerty, seeing as i really cba to move the keys around. i prefere to take breaks to prevent rsi, not on computer for longer than an hour straight anyway.

i cant really see how a change in layout could have any major benefits, if any. it goes on saying your fingers move less blah blah, lol, sure rsi is mainly in the wrists anyway, so its really where you rest your hands etc imo.
meep
try looking at this and then tell me why it won't have any benefits: http://colemak.com/Compare
more keys on homerow = quicker typing and more accuracy, and the lower distance means having to take less breaks Smile
+typing feels more natural
Ghost Rider103
I don't see the point in trying to learn a new keyboard layout.

It takes a while to get used to a new layout to where you don't have to look at the keys. Then when you need to use a computer at a local place, or a friends place or somewhere similar, it will more than likely be a qwerty keyboard and you won't be so effective.

You might as well stick with the norm in my opinion. The difference it will make isn't big enough, which is why most of the people today are still using QWERTY.

Also, that comparison chart is BS in my opinion anyways and seems inaccurate. I'm assuming it calculates the distance if your hands are actually on home-row. I don't think I know anyone that uses the home-row typing technique anymore.

But if you want to learn it so your hands and fingers don't have to travel as far, thats cool I guess lol. My hands will be in better shape by sticking with QWERTY. Very Happy
meep
the reason I picked colemak over dvorak was because there are programs that convert qwerty input into colemak, so public computers aren't a problem.
Also I spend most of my day typing a lot of schoolwork, and actually couldn't type for like 2 days once because my wrist hurt too much.
And I've seen people I know getting 70wpm while doing 30 on qwerty.
I currently type 80 wpm on qwerty, and hope to surpass it, or at least equal it having the benefit of more comfortable typing.

And to be honest, the layout change was easier than I expected, since 8 keys are still on the same spot(compare the image with your keyboard and try to figure out which ones:p)
Nemesis234
meep wrote:
the reason I picked colemak over dvorak was because there are programs that convert qwerty input into colemak, so public computers aren't a problem.
Also I spend most of my day typing a lot of schoolwork, and actually couldn't type for like 2 days once because my wrist hurt too much.
And I've seen people I know getting 70wpm while doing 30 on qwerty.
I currently type 80 wpm on qwerty, and hope to surpass it, or at least equal it having the benefit of more comfortable typing.

And to be honest, the layout change was easier than I expected, since 8 keys are still on the same spot(compare the image with your keyboard and try to figure out which ones:p)

i fail to believe public computers would willing let you install some random 3rd party software which messes up the keyboard input.
meep
Nemesis234 wrote:

i fail to believe public computers would willing let you install some random 3rd party software which messes up the keyboard input.

Then I use an online converter using php Smile
And the program is just a script and doesn't mess up input, when I close it input is back to normal Smile