FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sphinx support on my Webhosting account

bukaida
Can I have the Sphinx support on my frihost hosting account? Since the shell access is not provided in CP, it is not possible for me to install it from my end. The frihost itself is running on it, so it will be extremely helpful if you can provide it for my site www.pratik.frih.net. Thanx in advance.
Bondings
Unfortunately I don't think this is possible; by my knowledge Sphinx isn't made for use in shared hosting. You need a shell account and also a daemon that runs constantly. The first we don't provide for security reasons and the second obviously not. You most likely need a vps to do it. Maybe some shared hosting providers will allow it, but probably not the cheaper ones.

Normally you also don't need Sphinx for a normal website. It only becomes useful for large databases, like these forums or bigger. For smaller databases you should use the MySQL full text or something similar.
bukaida
unfortunately I was planning to host a project of mine which consists of more than 100 MB text file. The full text search is not possible by simple mysql search-match for a such huge database. Anyway can you guide me what kind of requirement I should place to a payed hosting for this purpose ?
Presently I am running it successfuly on my winXP system as service. How can I migrate it to a linux based hosting system?
Bondings
A small (and hence cheap) vps is the best way in your case.
bukaida
Thanx Bonding. But I will again bug you during configuration of sphinx because you are the best person to ask as you have already implemented it here. Very Happy
Bondings
bukaida wrote:
Thanx Bonding. But I will again bug you during configuration of sphinx because you are the best person to ask as you have already implemented it here. Very Happy

It's actually rather simple. Just a configuration file and then accessing it using php. It's very well documented on their website and I think there are a lot of tutorial posts about it.