FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

BOSS-(Bharat Operating Systems Solution) A LINUX VARIENT

smit_alumni
Well there are a number of operating systems but none specifically built for indian rural mass. this is a new operating system now which is a new linux varient called the BHARAT (ie india) OPERATING SYSTEMS SOLUTION also called BOSS.
Being a third world country has a lot of technical difficulties to over come. this revoltionary new operating system which will now enable the localy educated villagers to comunicate with the outer world.
socceraggie
Are you involved in the development of this new OS? Do you know where more information is available and whether it is available for download? Is it open source? Can you download it for free?

Very interesting.
smit_alumni
@socceraggie
I am not directly involved in developing the operating system but i have made contributions in testing it extensively. I am an engineer from India. It is available with the systems one gets to buy from the government offices here. The systems are relatively inferior and has the capability to run only this OS. If you were in India i would have sent a licensed copy of it to you. Very Happy
fladry
Isn't it the same OS that i see advertisement as 'Revolutionary 3D Desktop' e.t.c in my tv?
weableandbob
May check it out just for the name =)
Rajiev
Great Going BOSS.

But what the heck is "can buy from government offices ":O:O :O

You are going to make a linux based OS popular in India buy selling it Surprised

no way, The only way to get a new thing popular is to give it free.
Fire Boar
Not necessarily. In the west, Microsoft dominate, but in the east they don't have their foot so firmly in the door so there's a lot more competition.
mahirharoon
Rajiev wrote:
Great Going BOSS.

You are going to make a linux based OS popular in India buy selling it Surprised

misunderstanding ... total misunderstanding this is not for regualar citizens , those who want it like developers and so can buy computers from the so called gov.t offices and the os comes as just a built in os but the systems will be so poor that it cannot run any other os
Rajiev
mahirharoon wrote:
Rajiev wrote:
Great Going BOSS.

misunderstanding ... total misunderstanding this is not for regualar citizens , those who want it like developers and so can buy computers from the so called gov.t offices and the os comes as just a built in os but the systems will be so poor that it cannot run any other os

arh,

So its a low resouce hungry one? great.
So many users can have the luxury of a low end system and high end performance Smile
Flakky
Did I understand this correctly and will this be sold? :O

I would advice a already existing Linux distro to cut costs and they will be better of than creating another OS and do lots from scratch.
Rajiev
Flakky wrote:
Did I understand this correctly and will this be sold? :O

I would advice a already existing Linux distro to cut costs and they will be better of than creating another OS and do lots from scratch.

Hmm... great idea. I think They'll try to localize it rather than to re-invent the wheel from the scratch :S
awz, most of the linux destros are ( i mean the not so popular ones) modifications of another destro.
ankur2010
Yep.... BOSS is the Linux based Os developed by C-DAC in India.

It's Quite good in interface.Free of Cost.
You can get it by ordering the DVD.... Razz
debjitbiswas
Bengali is added its a good one.