FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Help for RAM





dxhunter
Hi all I have 2 x 256 Mb. DDR400 and use Gigabyte K8NS Board. My board has 3 RAM Slot and I need +512 ddr400 but 1 Ram slot is empty..

1- I sell 2x 256 and Buy 2x 512 DDR400

OR

2- I buy one 512 Ram for 3. Ram slot ???

What i make ??
bicostp
I'd buy the additional 512MB card, and replace the other two one at a time as the money becomes avalible.

Or if you have the money already, scrap the 256MB cards and replace them with 512MB cards, AND buy another 512MB card. More RAM is always better after all!

Just see what balance of RAM to Money will gie you results you're happy with.
TheGeek
forget that, just toss the 2x256 cards and then fork up the cash for a 1GB stick, then when needed up grade to a second one, and a third if neccessary...though doubtfull it will ever be so.
Summer
Prefer 2x512MB . 1 GB ram is good enuf .
dxhunter
Ok TNX for all answer
I ask my computer seller friends and sell my 2x256 and buy 2x512
I give little diffirence (5-10$)
Aelita
look your computer up and find out its max per slot then go get the max per slot.. Thats what I'd do, but thats prolly going to be expensive.. So save money for a little bit sell what you got then go get the best you can.. Or you can do it my other way ...scap the whole comp buy a new one and upgrade that one..lol HAVE FUN!
orno
more RAM = more POWER!!

make sure u get a motherboard compliant RAM btw....
Krespov
Just make sure you get RAM that is supported by your MOBO and buy as much as you can afford.
Prabhu Raj
More RAM = No use.
The ram u use is directly dependent on the processor u use.
Say u r using a P4 1.4 Ghz processor and putting 1 GB RAM in your mother board, what is the use? The processor can transfer a certain amount of data at a time. If you add RAM to that data proportionally you get the peak performance. But if u add excess ram, The processor is going to store only a limited amount of data on the ram and then delete it. So you get the peak performance but a waste of RAM.

I would also recommend 2 X 256 MB Ram coz RAM has the tendency to fail more often than any other computer parts. so if you use 2 RAM even if one ram fails you can have the other one untill you can replace the failed one.

To use more than 512 MB RAM you must put your machine as a web server coz your web server application will use thousands of instances of the website in a time and that a larger RAM would increace the system performance. But for home or office use even if the computer is fully loaded a 512 MB of DDR is enough.

If you surely want to go for 1 GB RAM then go for 512 X 2 coz having a 512 and 256 combination wont work
Helios
3x512 would be cool with a dual 3Ghz processor =)
I wish i had the money though Sad
gnomme
dxhunter wrote:
Hi all I have 2 x 256 Mb. DDR400 and use Gigabyte K8NS Board. My board has 3 RAM Slot and I need +512 ddr400 but 1 Ram slot is empty..

1- I sell 2x 256 and Buy 2x 512 DDR400

OR

2- I buy one 512 Ram for 3. Ram slot ???

What i make ??


buy two 512!
gh0stface
Prabhu Raj wrote:
More RAM = No use.
The ram u use is directly dependent on the processor u use.
Say u r using a P4 1.4 Ghz processor and putting 1 GB RAM in your mother board, what is the use? The processor can transfer a certain amount of data at a time. If you add RAM to that data proportionally you get the peak performance. But if u add excess ram, The processor is going to store only a limited amount of data on the ram and then delete it. So you get the peak performance but a waste of RAM.

Umm... I'm not sure where you've been getting your information from... but more RAM is better and there is USE. An excerpt from an article on RAM.
Quote:
The more RAM a system has, the less it has to access the hard drive to swap out data and the longer that hard drive will last. Think of RAM like this: when your CPU requests a file, the hard drive delivers that file and puts it into RAM where it can be manipulated with greater speed. The next file you request will also need to be loaded into RAM—and if there's not enough RAM to store both files, you have to wait while the computer puts the first file back onto the hard drive before it loads the second file. This takes time and slows your computer down a great deal.
If you meant, more RAM = no performance gain, then sort of. In benchmarks, you won't notice much but in real world application you will. As long as the RAM speed runs at the FSB of your CPU, you won't take a performance hit.

Prabhu Raj wrote:

If you surely want to go for 1 GB RAM then go for 512 X 2 coz having a 512 and 256 combination wont work

Wrong again here. A lot of motherboards have 3 RAM slots. Most newer motherboards also have Dual Channel ability which allows you to have 2x256 and 1x512.
SoftStag
gh0stface wrote:
Prabhu Raj wrote:
More RAM = No use.
The ram u use is directly dependent on the processor u use.
Say u r using a P4 1.4 Ghz processor and putting 1 GB RAM in your mother board, what is the use? The processor can transfer a certain amount of data at a time. If you add RAM to that data proportionally you get the peak performance. But if u add excess ram, The processor is going to store only a limited amount of data on the ram and then delete it. So you get the peak performance but a waste of RAM.

Umm... I'm not sure where you've been getting your information from... but more RAM is better and there is USE. An excerpt from an article on RAM.
Quote:
The more RAM a system has, the less it has to access the hard drive to swap out data and the longer that hard drive will last. Think of RAM like this: when your CPU requests a file, the hard drive delivers that file and puts it into RAM where it can be manipulated with greater speed. The next file you request will also need to be loaded into RAM—and if there's not enough RAM to store both files, you have to wait while the computer puts the first file back onto the hard drive before it loads the second file. This takes time and slows your computer down a great deal.
If you meant, more RAM = no performance gain, then sort of. In benchmarks, you won't notice much but in real world application you will. As long as the RAM speed runs at the FSB of your CPU, you won't take a performance hit.

Prabhu Raj wrote:

If you surely want to go for 1 GB RAM then go for 512 X 2 coz having a 512 and 256 combination wont work

Wrong again here. A lot of motherboards have 3 RAM slots. Most newer motherboards also have Dual Channel ability which allows you to have 2x256 and 1x512.

Well said gh0stface. There seems to be a lot of myths about RAM. I think it is important to add though that whilst more RAM is beneficial, there is a limit to what is beneficial. For example, if you only use your PC for surfing the net, then you will see no difference between using 512kb and 1Gb of RAM. If you do a lot of multi-tasking then you will notice it more. I would argue that 512kb is enough for most users these days, although there are always people who want the best so will go for the best available. Operating systems also make a difference, XP requires a fair amount of RAM just to work smoothly, Linux much less so.
Related topics
Overclocking my ram.
Help : Fedora Core 4 + Ubuntu
Buying Computer, Need Help
Laptop and Network problems.. help please
A problem with my computer.....need help...plz
Memory (RAM) Problem
DDR-RAM and DDR2-RAM Compatible?
Ram
Any computer technician plz help me!!!
HELP on PHP MYSQL : everything MESSED UP
Need help with RAM
Ramayana by Bill Gates
DDR1/2 RAM, anyone can help?
VIDEO CARD TROUBLE AFTER ADDING RAM! PLEASE HELP!
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.