FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Closest I can find related to writing of will

shenyl
Health will one day disappeared.

So, I am getting ready for that and this area of concern for a written will of a person.

Not much in the Frihost Index I can find where I can address this issue.

So, folks I address it here - some how related to failed health.

Jokes aside - anyone can advice on this before directing me to a solicitor?

Templates, etc will be helpful.

Issues to considered when one is finally away from the body.

Thanks and with regards.
socceraggie
Legalzoom.com is a helpful site. I'm not an employee, stockholder or owner of this website, but I've used it before to help with simple legal issues (such as a will). If you are creative, you can use it to develop a valid will to give yourself a template and not have to pay for it.

I've had some rough experiences with lawyers in the past. One lawyer was suppose to draft a will and set up a valid trust for a friend of mine's mother. He didn't create a will. He set up a trust but failed to inform my friend's mother that she had to "fund" the trust. Essentially when she died the trust was a useless shell. Then my wife and I used a lawyer to create wills for us. $1000 later we had a piece of crap that I could have done using the website above for probably less than $100!

When creating a will, there are many other things to think about beyond just the document called "Last Will & Testament". You also want to consider a medical power of attorney in the event you are in an accident and can't make decisions for yourself. Another document (I can't remember the name of it) that outlines your medical wishes should you be unable to do that and you don't have a medical power of attorney.

Good luck and make sure you get a lawyer you can trust if you go that route as this is a very important legal step to take to protect your family and friends.
deanhills
Agreed. Medical Power of Attorney is almost more important than your Will. If you are dead, you are dead, but if you are alive but completely unconscious, then you would want someone to make decisions for you, and it would be helpful if you could decide what you want those decisions to be so that you can at least have a say in the decisions when you are out of it. This is a good link for an example of a Medical Power of Attorney form and tips of how to complete it:
http://www.free-legal-document.com/medical-power-of-attorney.html

There is a Word template available at the link below:
http://www.blanker.org/medical-power-attorney
jwellsy
Legalzoom just had one of their wills upheld in court in a high profile case. It's unclear how much of a challenge there really was. But, it makes a good story.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/ladaily/city-news/sammy-davis-jr-suit/
Quote:
​The son of late entertainer Sammy Davis, Jr. was awarded the rights to most of his creative output, including his recordings and life story, after a court upheld the legality of a will that was created via online law center LegalZoom.com, the company announced Thursday afternoon.

After his mother, Altovise Davis, died and willed the intellectual property to son Manny, Los Angeles County Probate Judge Reva Goetz upheld the legal document. "I think that full weight should be given to the document as an expression of Mrs. Davis's intent with regard to her estate and what she wanted to happen to it," Goetz stated.

Sammy Davis, Jr. died from cancer in 1990 and left almost everything to his wife. It was alleged in court, however, that she was deceived by two business partners who gained some control of the estate. After accusing the pair of defrauding her in 2008, she used LegalZoom.com to leave the estate to only son Manny.

Those partners challenged the will, partially because it was executed via a do-it-yourself site. But the judge wasn't having it. At trial, the former business partners sought to invalidate the LegalZoom will.

"The other side questioned whether the LegalZoom will accurately reflected what Mrs. Davis wanted to be in the will," plaintiff's attorney Ulu K. Orange said. "It was very clear, based on looking at the will and listening to the witnesses, that the will that was produced from LegalZoom was exactly what she intended, as far as the disposition of her estate."
socceraggie
I heard about that story too. Great press for them!