FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chat with your friends through MS-DOS

Meit
Quote:
Chat with your friends through MS-DOS
1. All you need is your friends IP address and your Command Prompt.

2. Open your notepad and write tis code as it is.................. I would prefer you to copy this !

@echo off
:A
Cls
echo MESSENGER
set /p n=User:
set /p m=Message:
net send %n% %m%
Pause
Goto A

3. Now save this as "Messenger.Bat".

4. Drag this file (.bat file)over to Command Prompt and press enter!

5. You would then see some thing like this:

MESSENGER
User:

6. After "User" type the IP address of the computer you want to contact.

7. Before you press "Enter" it should look like this:

MESSENGER
User: IP_Address
mOrpheuS wrote:
Quote tags added. Please use quote tags around text that you haven't written yourself.
Iguleder
MSDOS or just a command prompt? Just another win32 console application or a real 16-bit DOS executable?
weableandbob
Cool. I'll be sure to use this during computer science class Very Happy
Diablosblizz
This won't work in Windows Vista or Windows 7 as the send parameter is gone from net.
tamilparks
its not working for me, i am using windows XP
menino
I remember using net send a long time ago, but its not really a chatting software. Its more like an alert, and the recipient can only click on ok, after reading the message.

I believe that there are lots of free network communication (chatting) softwares around, anyways, so why use MSDOS prompt?

overall it is a nice script, but I doubt anyone will really use it now.
Fire Boar
menino wrote:
I believe that there are lots of free network communication (chatting) softwares around, anyways, so why use MSDOS prompt?

To annoy people, naturally. And to mess about during class.
jilbs
Diablosblizz wrote:
This won't work in Windows Vista or Windows 7 as the send parameter is gone from net.

hehe yeah i agree. Very Happy
misterXY
There isn't MS-DOS anymore, mark me if l'm wrong but l think it's sailed away since the 90's
Fire Boar
misterXY wrote:
There isn't MS-DOS anymore, mark me if l'm wrong but l think it's sailed away since the 90's

The operating system certainly isn't available any more, but you can still bring up a DOS prompt to issue commands to a Windows computer. To find it, hit Meta+R (or Start -> Run if you dislike keyboard shortcuts) and type cmd. Then after using it for a while, realize that you should be using CygWin instead due to the sheer suckiness of DOS.
misterXY
Fire Boar wrote:
misterXY wrote:

The operating system certainly isn't available any more, but you can still bring up a DOS prompt to issue commands to a Windows computer. To find it, hit Meta+R (or Start -> Run if you dislike keyboard shortcuts) and type cmd. Then after using it for a while, realize that you should be using CygWin instead due to the sheer suckiness of DOS.

That's command prompt though not MS-DOS (uses cmd.exe)
Fire Boar
misterXY wrote:
That's command prompt though not MS-DOS (uses cmd.exe)

Bash is also a command prompt, but it's not called "command prompt", it's called Bash. "Command prompt" in Windows is simply the name given to the launcher: it is in fact an MS-DOS-based shell, hence everyone but the most picky refers to it as MS-DOS.

Also, post number 1000. Apparently that's something to celebrate or at least vaguely acknowledge.