FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you ever buy generic drugs? (No, this is not spam)

microkosm
Consumerist has posted an interesting article on the issue of brand name versus generic drugs. Basically, both are chemically identical, but the "filler" (inactive) ingredients are different. There's also the issue of cost, which is where the brand name companies make a killing.

The underlying issue is the psychological impetus to buy brand name. After all, nobody wants to sacrifice quality when it comes to medicine and health. Of course, no one remembers recalls on brand name drugs either (for example, Johnson and Johnson as of May 2010 in the States).

Full article: http://consumerist.com/2010/05/brand-names-vs-generics.html

BTW don't blank out and miss the impressive poster also featured in the article above.
escritor
Generic drugs are very popular in Brazil. Most people will ask pharmacists if there are generic alternatives when doctors prescribe them "branded" drugs.
Greatking
no i don't think its advisable. the best is to buy prescriptions given by authorized doctors
escritor
Greatking wrote:
no i don't think its advisable. the best is to buy prescriptions given by authorized doctors

Do you know what you're talking about? You seem not to know what generic drugs are. Read the article pointed to by microkosm.
bloodrider
generic drugs have become important here in portugal
nebunaticu
drugs are so bad don't take drugs
escritor
nebunaticu wrote:
drugs are so bad don't take drugs

Lost in translation?
Quote:
drug
a substance that is used as a medicine or narcotic
driftingfe3s
I usually get the generic brand of lots of things unless I know for a fact the quality is sub-par from reviews or first hand experience. It's always cheaper that way. Why not save some money when you can? If both work equally well, why pay more?

I recently got some cold medicine that wasn't brand name but the store brand and it works great.
macky
yes, we always buy generics but i think it is not that effective... mostly the branded medicines are more

effective than the generics... although branded medicines are expensive...
deanhills
macky wrote:
yes, we always buy generics but i think it is not that effective... mostly the branded medicines are more

This can be true, but there are some generic drugs that are just as good, so better follow the advice of a medical doctor, as if he/she is a good doctor they will through experience know how good the generic version of any particular medicine would be.
c'tair
macky wrote:

Uh, not really. Did you even read the original poster's article?

Go ahead, go into any pharmacy and ask for a generic brand head ache tablet and a 'brand name' head ache tablet. And bam, both have 200mg of ibuprofen! So why would the brand name one be better? Those tablets have to pass the same kind of rigorous tests before being introduced into the market as "brand name" drugs.

Does more research go into brand name drugs? Uhm, like it's been said, the art of making ibuprofen has been figured out be chemists decades ago, and the art of making aspirin is over a hundred years old and it's even included in some high school level text books so you can make it yourself if you have a little bit of equipment at home.

They are chemically the same. Thanks to regulation, they must be the same in all aspects as brand name drugs, thus yes, I buy generic brand because I have better things to spend my money on then on brightly colored boxes.
watersoul
Some of the opposing views here made me chuckle, I really wonder how someone can ever think that a 500mg tablet of paracetamol can be more effective if it's supplied by a brand that spends loads on advertising than one that doesn't.
Brainwashing I guess. The difference between 15 pence for 16 tablets or 1.20+ for exactly the same number of tablets with the same amount of active ingredient?

LOL I say! Wink
ibeadorkable
I get generic drugs whenever possible. I've honestly never had a problem with it (and I fill 10 different Rxs per month). I am on 14 medications, only 4 do not come in generic form.
Part of it isn't really in my control. If there is a generic form, that's probably what your insurance is going to cover, unless you have a compelling reason for needing brand name. Plus, generic are cheaper and when you are on as many meds as I am, it's just financially smart.
kitsrock
I always buy generic whenever I can. Especially with common things like aspirin, acetaminophen (tylenol) and ibuprofen (advil).

It seems to be true that not all generic brand medications are on par with brand name drugs (especially for drugs that have recently come out of patent). On the other hand, many if not most drugs can be interchanged without any noticeable decrease in effectiveness. Quick google search on double blind study of generic and brand drugs will lead most people to the same conclusion.

If you are really concerned about a specific medication, do a pubmed search (your local public library will likely have subscription access to pubmed and/or other resources similar to it if you do not) on your brand name drug and the generic counterpart, or better yet ask your doctor.