FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

No HDD found

anakonda118
I'm trying to install Windows XP on a Dell Poweredge 1600sc computer. I get into the boot and it starts loading the files. It then says "starting up windows", after a few seconds it says "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed" Any ideas on what to do? I've read about people saying something about changing some SATA stuff, but I can't find anything like that in the setup thingie (f2)
Peterssidan
have you installed anything on it before? Is the startup on your hard disk or is it from the installation CD?
anakonda118
It's from an installation CD, and no I haven't installed anything on it before (well I bought it used so I'm not realy sure tbh Razz)
infinisa
Hello anakonda118

This probably means Windows XP doesn't have a driver for your SATA disk controller. This happened to me when I installed Windows XP on my PC.

What you have to do is get the right driver from Dell, and load it right at the start of the Windows XP installation when it says "Press F6 if you need to load a third party SCSI or RAID driver".

I loaded mine from a diskette that came with the PC's motherboard.

Hope this is of help
Fire Boar
Check your BIOS too: there should be a section on which storage media are connected. If you don't see anything listed, it could well be that some cables aren't connected correctly.
anakonda118
I Will try that out, now the question is just where to find a diskette Razz
Cliffer
did you check your hard disk is good or damaged?
mukesh
i think problem on Hard disk code or Hard disk connector have some may be fault.

i think hard disk is good.
jilbs
windows XP does not support SATA installation. the hardisk is good if it is detected on the startup.
Nothing is wrong with your Hardisk.

try this link:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml
http://forums.hexus.net/operating-systems-applications/20748-windows-xp-installing-sata-_without_-floppy-disk.html

it might help
WS001
anakonda118 wrote:
I'm trying to install Windows XP on a Dell Poweredge 1600sc computer. I get into the boot and it starts loading the files. It then says "starting up windows", after a few seconds it says "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed" Any ideas on what to do? I've read about people saying something about changing some SATA stuff, but I can't find anything like that in the setup thingie (f2)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can change SATA's parameter to IDE in Bios
k_s_baskar
WS001 wrote:

Shall you please explain how to configure it in bios.
Smile
rickylau
k_s_baskar wrote:
WS001 wrote:

Shall you please explain how to configure it in bios.
Smile
No explanation can be provided at the moment I guess, until specs are given (at least the brand of the BIOS)

General procedure:
- Go to BIOS config (press a key on boot screen - F2, Del, or maybe whatever else...)
- Browse for something saying SATA and / or having options for IDE channels (In my case ,AWARD BIOS, its separated into options "SATA mode" and "SATA ports xx set to [IDE channel]", under section "Integrated peripherals")
- Change the settings until you get options that seem to point SATA ports to IDE channels
- Save it and reboot

Exact procedure:
- Read the motherboard manual or go ask tech support
- Follow the instructions from them

BTW, if its PowerEdge 1600SC, the problem may not be SATA but SCSI...
FunDa
WS001 wrote:

That kind of worked for me.

I found the options for SATA mode as IDE in the BIOS options.

But u might be having SCSI.

Try getting a Windows XP cd that has these drivers inbuilt. XP sp3 installation CD should work fine.
wschleifer
hello,

some bios can emluate a ide drive from an ata drive.

Check this parameter.

wschleifer.