FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A good Electric guitar for metal?

speeDemon
Well, I recently made a point to buy a new guitar.
When the thought of buying a new guitar comes to mind, two aspects take the lead- 1)Tone 2)Looks.

I want both, of course, but I'm leaning more towards a bit different shape(as in, anything other than a strat kind of shape which looks good).

I'll be playing metal/rock mainly.
I'll probably buy a black warlock or something.
Any Ideas people?

I live in India, and will be visiting Mumbai(the city where I will most probably get the guitar I want) within the next few weeks.

My budget is around Rs.20,000-30,000 i.e. around 400-600$
I was recently looking at some guitars from jackson, ibanez, BC rich etc. but anyway, I wanted your advice.
liljp617
I'd stick with the generic shapes. Odd shapes are just a nuisance to play assuming you're not playing big shows where that extra flash is fun and cool. ESP or Ibanez in my opinion. Ibanez makes pretty damn good low end guitars, so I would definitely consider them. EMG pickups could be worth checking out, but you should try them first because they're somewhat narrow in my opinion and may not be what you want.

I'll assume you know this already but I'll say it just because:

It's difficult to say "get this guitar." No matter what anybody suggests, you HAVE to go find it in person and play it to see if it fits you. There are minor differences in necks and bodies that some people simply don't like. The shape of the neck, whether it's finished or unfinished, what the fretboard is made out of, etc. should all play a role in your decision...and you can't make those decisions without trying the guitars. Play it through clean and distorted channels, preferably through the amp/pedals you'll be playing through.

At your price level, there's not a gigantic difference in what you purchase. Much of the true metal sound is found in the amp and pickups, so keep that in mind.

Check out some Ibanez RG series and ESP LTD:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/ibanez-guitars-pedals-gear-electric-guitars?N=100001+201105+304275+10

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/esp-guitar-basses-guitars?N=100001+201358+10+304262

I would also recommend staying away from any guitars with tremolos, especially given your price range. They'll likely be cheap and poorly made tremolos that will destroy your tuning constantly and just be an annoyance over all.
speeDemon
liljp617 wrote:
I would also recommend staying away from any guitars with tremolos, especially given your price range. They'll likely be cheap and poorly made tremolos that will destroy your tuning constantly and just be an annoyance over all.

Hmm, thats bad, I was really considering getting one with a whammy bar.. What price range would get me one with those?

Anyway, I guess going to the shop myself is the only way..
Ankhanu
At your price range, a good tremolo unit ALONE would almost cover the whole price of what you have Razz Cheap trems are really nasty. A hardtail is really best, especially if you're learning. Trem systems require a fair bit of maintenance to keep them sounding good and stable... if you can't do it yourself, you'll have to pay someone else to do it.

The brands that you're looking at are fine for metal... humbuckers are pretty popular in metal, particularly hot wound pickups (high output, essentially, they're louder than other pickups), and those brands tend to build guitars with hot humbuckers.

ESP
Jackson
BC Rich
Ibanez
Schecter
Even some Epiphones are pretty sweet and well made, but the cheap ones are, well, cheap Razz
liljp617
speeDemon wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

Hmm, thats bad, I was really considering getting one with a whammy bar.. Whst price range would get me one with those?

Anyway, I guess going to the shop myself is the only way..

At least near the $1,000 range for a well-made tremolo that isn't a detriment to the guitar, and even then it depends on what type of tremolo you get.

Seriously, just stick to hardtails unless you absolutely have to get a tremolo. As was said, any tremolo is going to require maintenance and tuning/changing strings with a tremolo is a nuisance. It's really not worth it if you're not going to make near constant use of it in the ways Satriani/Vai/etc. do. It's definitely not worth it if you're only spending $600. I'll say it directly: You'll be sorry if you get a $600 guitar with a tremolo. It's just a bad idea.
speeDemon
Ok then, no tremolo for me!
I have a G2.1u, so I do get some of the 'benifits' of the tremolo.. so i guess i can let that slip away for now..

Any specific models in mind?
I am going to visit singapore, and may buy my guitar from there, but only if i decide my model beforehand, as i've heard that a lot of people get ripped off there. So I really need to keep a small number of options, and then, after actually using these guitars, short list, and finalize.

So... any specific models?
Ankhanu
While emblash9 is almost certainly a spam bot, Agile does make good value for the money guitars.

From another thread:
speeDemon wrote:
Free day?

FREE DAY = ... maybe play my guitar....

What did you end up getting?