FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Random 100% CPU load for no apparent reason.

Aredon
I've been researching/troubleshooting this for a couple days, and I should note that 98% of the time my computer runs fine and normally. Here are a few things I can say for sure about the issue:
1.) Right before it happens my system fans roar to top speed for about a second, then drop to not spinning. (running a laptop, fan speed is temperature controlled) this suggests to me that the CPU is not running hot during this moment.
2.) I am able to open/close some programs, bust i must wait for some sort of cursor response, and it is always significantly delayed. (Up to a minute in some cases)
3.) I am able to show desktop after a short wait, and see that my CPU monitor reports a 100% CPU load.
4.) I am able to open task manager, but half the time the issue will cease upon it's opening.
5.) I cannot ever identify a process that would be using 100% of the CPU, and the total never adds to the 100% shown.
6.) I cannot find any logs of the error.
7.) I cannot duplicate the error at will.
8.) I have found no related hardware issue that could be causing the problem.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm getting pretty frustrated with it.
Fire Boar
I can think of two possible reasons. Either it's performing delayed processing (which happens when you're idle) or you've got a virus.
Aredon
I've run extensive scans in both regular and safe mode using a variety of different scanning tools. I'm clean :/. My suspicion is that it is some windows service eating up all the CPU. (since no process is shown to be) If I can manage to link it to some windows update I can uninstall it.
Bondings
Could it be your antivirus? It could be scanning for viruses and weird processes at those moments.

What about keeping the task manager running constantly, sorted by cpu usage. And check it when the problem happens?
Marcuzzo
use process explorer, this one is less of a memory hogg then the taks manager

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
5aia
It's probably a virus or a problem with your CPU!
Aredon
Bondings wrote:
Could it be your antivirus? It could be scanning for viruses and weird processes at those moments.

I do not run an active AV, they're annoying for that very reason. Smile
Bondings wrote:

What about keeping the task manager running constantly, sorted by cpu usage. And check it when the problem happens?

As I said, sometimes I'm able to have task manager open while the problem is happening. No process ever appears to be using very much of the CPU power. (50% at most usually, nothing above normal for a game.) Which is why I suspect it's a windows service, but I haven't had the issue happen for a short bit.

Marcuzzo wrote:
use process explorer, this one is less of a memory hogg then the taks manager

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

I really don't find task manager to be much of a memory hog at all, but thank you for the suggestion.

5aia wrote:
It's probably a virus or a problem with your CPU!

I have now runs scans with Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, Dr Web Cure It, Windows Live Onecare (online scanner). All come up clean, I really doubt it's a virus. Aside from that a hardware issue with my CPU should show itself when I stress test the processor, but it doesn't. I am able to push the CPU to 100% load without issue.
Aredon
Well it's been a short bit without issue, so here's an update. After many many hours of pouring through google pages I found someone that said they had a solution. That the issue was somehow related to "audiodg.exe" - "Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation". After looking for this I DID see it in the process list during these times, however it wasn't utilizing much of the processor. I decided to go ahead and try the "fix", which was to disable all "enhancements" on my audio device.

This seems to have corrected the issue for now, though there was one small flub immediately after it only lasted a second and could easily have been unrelated. So at the moment it seems to have worked.

I don't really understand why it started happening in the first place, I've used speaker fill to play music out of my 5.1 system for a long time without issue. Why it would just start causing issues recently is beyond my understanding.