FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

driver for mobile geforce

elcyron
hi everyone,

here's my problem: i hab a toshiba S2410-404 notebook with an geforce4 go 420 videochip that supports 1024x768 pixels

unfortunatly the original toshibadriver doesn't work very well with some textureshading programs. so i installed the MS driver for the videochip.

the good news: the texturesshader works

the bad news: maximum resoution ist 969x768 - wich means 1024x768 with a big black bar on the right side. hm...

so i tried to uninstall the driver and rebootet, resolution was back to 1024x768 but after a second windows detected the videochip, reinstalled the MS driver and set the resolution to 969x768.

my question is, how do i get 1024x768 (which the chip is obviously capable of) with a recent driver?

problem occured in win2k SP4 and winXP SP2
otiscom
Try drivers.com
elcyron
i did...

it says my videodriver is good. (which it obviously isnt)

it complains about my sounddriver (for the deactivated internal sounddevice) but thats not what i need
Aelita
Uninstall it again and go to that site. There driver maybe a little different from the one you are currently using even though it says that it is good..
SoftStag
The problem is probably not the video driver, but the driver for the screen. Change this to a generic flat panel 1024x768
elcyron
SoftStag wrote:
The problem is probably not the video driver, but the driver for the screen. Change this to a generic flat panel 1024x768

hm, call me stupid - but how do i do this? the screen setup only offers a default display driver (twice) and a plug&play monitor.

i already updated those drivers, no luck.

Aelita wrote:
Uninstall it again and go to that site. There driver maybe a little different from the one you are currently using even though it says that it is good..

i did as you suggested, resulting in a very blurry 969x768 not realy an improvement
SoftStag
elcyron wrote:
SoftStag wrote:

hm, call me stupid - but how do i do this? the screen setup only offers a default display driver (twice) and a plug&play monitor.

i already updated those drivers, no luck.

OK, try this:
Arrow Open Control Panel
Arrow Go in to Display
Arrow Click Settings tab
Arrow Click Advanced
Arrow Click Monitor tab
Arrow Click Properties
Arrow Click Driver tab
Arrow Click Update Driver
Arrow Put dot in "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)"
Arrow Click Next
Arrow Put dot in "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install"
Arrow Click next
Arrow Remove tick from "Show compatible hardware"
Arrow Select "Standard Monitor Types" at the left
Arrow Select "Digital Flat Panel (1024x768)" at the right
Arrow Click Next and it will copy some files
Arrow Click Finish

Now try increasing the resolution.
elcyron
SoftStag wrote:

Arrow Select "Digital Flat Panel (1024x768)" at the right
Arrow Click Next and it will copy some files
Arrow Click Finish

Now try increasing the resolution.

thanks for helping, but:
the "Digital Flat Panel (1024x768)" was not in the list of compatible devices, so i deselected the show compatible flag and installed the driver.

however the maximum resolution is still 969x768 Sad
gh0stface
Well, you can always download drivers from the nvidia website. However certain functions that laptop makers tailor the drivers for their system might not be included when you install the UDA drivers from nvidia.
Quote:

Mobile GPU's like the GeForce Go and Quadro Go family of mobile GPU's use drivers that have been customized to support hot key functions, power management functions, lid close and suspend/resume behavior that are normally found in notebooks. The reference drivers that are provided by NVIDIA on our driver downloads page do not include these custom features. NVIDIA reference drivers are UDA compatible and will run on an NVIDIA notebook GPU but other functions like suspend/resume, display brightness, etc. are not supported.

So either install the ones from your laptop makers website or you can give the nvidia reference drivers a shot. Just make sure to uninstall your current drivers, reboot, turn off your anti-virus then install. Since you have a geforce 4 based gpu, i'd recommend the 4x.xx series nvidia reference drivers. Such as 44.03, 40.72, 43.45 I believe are the best sets. I'd recommend 44.03 myself.
elcyron
gh0stface wrote:

So either install the ones from your laptop makers website or you can give the nvidia reference drivers a shot. Just make sure to uninstall your current drivers, reboot, turn off your anti-virus then install. Since you have a geforce 4 based gpu, i'd recommend the 4x.xx series nvidia reference drivers. Such as 44.03, 40.72, 43.45 I believe are the best sets. I'd recommend 44.03 myself.

unfortantly the most recent toshiba drivers for my notebook are dated somewhere in 2003, that was my first shot - but didnt worl. i already tried to install the referencedriver but it complained about my videochip not being supported by the driver.
i dont remenber which version i used, so i'll just giv 44.03 another try