FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Democrats loses house seat in Obama's home district!





Voodoocat
More bad news for the Democrats occured when Republican Charles Djou defeated his Democrat opponents in a special election held to fill the House seat in Obama's home district. The Democrat ticket was split between two candidates while the Republicans ran one candidate, so who knows what will happen during the general election in November.

Still, it seems to be another black eye to the Democrat party.
deanhills
Well hopefully something like this will keep both parties on their toes. Probably never good to start with too many wins, as the Conservatives could then overestimate their chances of winning. If they underestimate it, it would give them a greater incentive to do much better. And much better they are definitely in need off. I am saying this under correction, but I wonder whether the wins by the Conservatives have more to do with protest against the Dems than real passion for the Conservatives?
MYP415
At the very least I see the Democrats losing a good amount of seats and having to settle for more compromises and fewer controversial bills from 2010-2012.
Voodoocat
Hopefully the Democrats lose even more seats in November. Congress is stuffing the Afghanistan expenditure bill with billions of non-military related spending. Hopefully the Republican party is listening to the people, and will turn back to their economically conservative roots.
deanhills
Voodoocat wrote:
Congress is stuffing the Afghanistan expenditure bill with billions of non-military related spending. Hopefully the Republican party is listening to the people, and will turn back to their economically conservative roots.
If it is true that Congress is using a bill for the military for non-military spending, then hopefully the Democrats will be doing something about that in the first place. That just sounds very wrong. How did that happen?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Voodoocat wrote:
Congress is stuffing the Afghanistan expenditure bill with billions of non-military related spending. Hopefully the Republican party is listening to the people, and will turn back to their economically conservative roots.
If it is true that Congress is using a bill for the military for non-military spending, then hopefully the Democrats will be doing something about that in the first place. That just sounds very wrong. How did that happen?


1: Politicians add extra spending (pork) to defense spending bill.
2: Bill goes up for voting.
3: If anybody votes against it: "OMG you're against funding our troops!?!"
4: Politicians who vote against it are replaced in the next election by opponents who use this against them.

The more popular a bill is, the less likely anyone is to vote against it. The politicians who make the bill know this, so they often add lots of pork to popular bills.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Voodoocat wrote:
Congress is stuffing the Afghanistan expenditure bill with billions of non-military related spending. Hopefully the Republican party is listening to the people, and will turn back to their economically conservative roots.
If it is true that Congress is using a bill for the military for non-military spending, then hopefully the Democrats will be doing something about that in the first place. That just sounds very wrong. How did that happen?


1: Politicians add extra spending (pork) to defense spending bill.
2: Bill goes up for voting.
3: If anybody votes against it: "OMG you're against funding our troops!?!"
4: Politicians who vote against it are replaced in the next election by opponents who use this against them.

The more popular a bill is, the less likely anyone is to vote against it. The politicians who make the bill know this, so they often add lots of pork to popular bills.
Sounds almost like back-door clauses in legislation? What do you think about this kind of legislation?
Voodoocat
Of course it is politics as usual. As Ocalhoun said, if you vote against this bill, even because you disagree with the billions in wasted taxpayer money spent on pork, you will be demonized as not supporting our troops.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Sounds almost like back-door clauses in legislation? What do you think about this kind of legislation?


Hm, I thought it would be rather obvious what I thought about such legislative tactics.
Lest anyone be unclear on that, I think it's one of the biggest problems our government has.
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Politics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.