FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GIMP

Tony The Tiger
I am not much of a photoguy and still use a point and shoot Canon Powershot TX-1. I was wondering, in terms of photo editing software, where does GIMP rank? What about just compared to free software. I just need software good enough to do minor manipulations to files for use in wikipedia articles and the like.
jwellsy
Gimp rivals photoshop in flexability and complexity so there is a pretty good learning curve when just starting out with it. There are some pretty good free gimp training videos available online that can get you going pretty quickly. Gimp isn't as obvious as say microsoft paint.
LostOverThere
GIMP is a quality piece of software, there's no doubt about that. For some, however, its complexity prevents it from becoming great, notably those born and bred on Photoshop, due to interface differences.
welshsteve
I think GIMP would be much more popular and "useable" if the interface was more user friendly i.e. ONE application window instea dof all the confusing floating windows. The interface is certainly messy. I've tried and tried to get on with it, but I just can't. Even GIMPshop is messy and this is supposed to appeal to Photoshop users. When on Windows I use Paint.NET and Photoshop, but am yet to find a decent working Paint.NET equivalent on Linux, so I just don't do any graphics work when working in Linux now.
Tony The Tiger
jwellsy wrote:
Gimp rivals photoshop in flexability and complexity so there is a pretty good learning curve when just starting out with it. There are some pretty good free gimp training videos available online that can get you going pretty quickly. Gimp isn't as obvious as say microsoft paint.

It is my understanding that there are no free versions of photoshop. Is this correct? I may not have stated this explicitly, but I do not want to pay for any more software since I can get GIMP for free. Is there anything else comparable for free?
meep
As far as free software goes, I would say gimp is the best, if you can find the interfaces lol.
I used it before I got photoshop, and I was pretty decent at it even though i didn't know where most of the fancy stuff was located. I still remember switching to photoshop, I was like "what the heck is up with this interface, I'm going back to gimp" at first.
and I still use gimp sometimes, but mainly because I don't like photoshop's guide system so I do that stuff in gimp Smile.

But if it's only for minor photo manips I would say gimp is the way to go.
jwellsy
For those having a tuff time getting started with Gimp, check out these eleven free Gimp tutorials.
http://www.designyourownweb.com/gimp-tutorial.htm
ProwerBot
For some reason I prefer Paint.NET's interface over GIMP, though that's just me.
welshsteve
ProwerBot wrote:
For some reason I prefer Paint.NET's interface over GIMP, though that's just me.

I couldn't agree more. Paint.NET is a great program. The one and only let down with it is the poor support for layers. If you could layer images and easily edit them like in photoshop, paint.net would be a killer application. For instance, if I'm building a header for a webpage, I'll have my logo, maybe something else on the right hand side, and maybe a gradient background, plus header tex as well. Each of these can be removed or edited easily, but in Pain.net they can't. Everything else I think is great in Paint.net
Tony The Tiger
What about Gimpshop vs. GIMP?
nvision
well gimp is quite better thn photoshop...!!!
welshsteve
nvision wrote:

Have to diagree there. Photoshop is a brilliant program, but obviously it's costly. Gimp's interface is a big spoiler for me, makes it difficult to get to grips with if you're used to photoshop or paint.net
Tony The Tiger
welshsteve wrote:
nvision wrote:

Have to diagree there. Photoshop is a brilliant program, but obviously it's costly. Gimp's interface is a big spoiler for me, makes it difficult to get to grips with if you're used to photoshop or paint.net

I am now a Hugin user and have basically abandoned use of GIMP. I have never tried photoshop because I can not afford to pay for proper registration/licensing of the software.
welshsteve
Yeah Photoshop is very expensice, which is why I use paint.NET. I do have an old verison of Photoshop CS2 which I use when I need to create a layered image.
surdy
GIMP is an excellent image manipulation tool. It can do almost anything that photoshop can. I cannot afford photoshop. GIMP works for my needs (hobby work , nothing professional).
Moreover there are so may video and web tutorials for it , I just google around and find the exact tutorial of what I want to do Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
dude_xyx
Well GIMP is no match for Photoshop but at least its free. Photoshop in other hand too expensive for personal use. The problem is its pretty hard to adjust to GIMP if you had been using photoshop for years.
Tony The Tiger
dude_xyx wrote:
Well GIMP is no match for Photoshop but at least its free. Photoshop in other hand too expensive for personal use. The problem is its pretty hard to adjust to GIMP if you had been using photoshop for years.

Yes and it is pretty hard to adjust to paying for software when you have been using free software such as GIMP or hugin for years.
deanhills
dude_xyx wrote:
I can well believe that, and the other way round. I've been a GIMP user for years, and it has worked almost perfectly for me. I realize however that there are probably plenty of bells and whistles that I have been missing out with Photoshop. There are three reasons why I have never purchased Photoshop so far: price, too bulky software, and too impatient to learn all the steps of the bells and whistles. I like fast and GIMP does that for me. But Photoshop is always something that hopefully one day I will get to ....
amperx
i have been using photoshop for years now, since our office migrated to ubuntu, i was stuck at gimp, how i detested using gimp the first time, but when i focused on it, it is comparable to photoshops functions, if not, its even faster i think when doing digital work, (in an illustrators pov)

so i'd suggest you use gimp for those task that you mentioned, it can do well with those Very Happy
adri
@Deanhills: That's correct, Photoshop (and all the other Adobe Products that aren't free) is way to expensive. But in Belgium you can buy Adobe Photoshop (CS5 Extended) for 225 (which is 315USD) if you're a student. So that's like waaaaaaaayyyyy cheaper. Smile And therefor I use Photoshop. Smile

Adri
Tony The Tiger
adri wrote:
In Belgium you can buy Adobe Photoshop (CS5 Extended) for 225 (which is 315USD) if you're a student. So that's like waaaaaaaayyyyy cheaper. Smile And therefor I use Photoshop. Smile

Adri

I don't think I have ever paid half that price for any software. I only pay for Microsoft Office, Symantec Norton Ghost, Intuit Quicken and Symantec Norton Internet Security. For any other software that I need, I try to find free trial versions, freeware or software that I can acquire at a nominal cost.
Peterssidan
adri wrote:
@Deanhills: That's correct, Photoshop (and all the other Adobe Products that aren't free) is way to expensive. But in Belgium you can buy Adobe Photoshop (CS5 Extended) for 225 (which is 315USD) if you're a student. So that's like waaaaaaaayyyyy cheaper. Smile And therefor I use Photoshop. Smile
I hate software companies that tries to get young people into bad habits.

By the way GIMP is very good I think. Only thing I miss is a feature that allows you to define your own image format.
ham65
photoshop is the best,but if you dont want spend money,use GIMP,gimp is the best software free.
FunDa
Yes, GIMP is pretty good. Paint.NET is also another very good one for free.

We should promote free on open source software like GIMP more. They are good, but since not many people know about them, most people opt to use photoshop
Tony The Tiger
FunDa wrote:

We should promote free on open source software like GIMP more. They are good, but since not many people know about them, most people opt to use photoshop

How is Paint.NET related to Microsoft Paint? I use MS Paint to edit a lot of my images (especially cropping and removing watermarks).
ankur209
GIMP,being a freeware is absolutely one of the photo editing software i've found out can be compared with Adobe Photoshop in some terms and features... Cool

I used GIMP for a year but now i'm using Adobe Photshop CS3... Wink
FunDa
Tony The Tiger wrote:
FunDa wrote:

How is Paint.NET related to Microsoft Paint? I use MS Paint to edit a lot of my images (especially cropping and removing watermarks).

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy You cannot compare Paint.NET to Microsoft Paint.
Paint.NET is more like Photoshop and less like paint, meaning it is much much more advanced than paint.

I use paint only for cropping and screenshots. By removing watermarks, you mean cropping them out rite ? Smudging out watermarks in paint is time-consuming.

Try it

http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

Paint.net also has layers and stuff like GIMP and photoshop does, which is very important in major photo editing.
debjitbiswas
its a good one! found easy to use and not complex at all.
Tony The Tiger
FunDa wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
FunDa wrote:

I use paint only for cropping and screenshots. By removing watermarks, you mean cropping them out rite ?

Often I eliminate them by cropping and sometimes by using a solid block of color to obscure.
michael12345
it depends on what you need, how often you use it and of course which system you are using.
if you just need cropping images, paint will do that job for you too Smile
jussisi2
If i don't use photoshop then i use GIMP Smile
FunDa
So, looks like the best free softwares as a replacement for photoshop are GIMP and Paint.NET

GIMP - open source GNU licensed

Paint.NET - not an online software like the name would have you suspect. It is a perfectly self-contained downloadable software and works very well. It has layers and stuff like Photoshop and GIMP and is in no way to be compared to the Windows default Paint software.
keyman
I was hoping to try out paint.net on Linux in Wine, but it needs .net framework 3.5.x to run which isn't yet possible with Wine. Bummer!
FunDa
keyman wrote:
I was hoping to try out paint.net on Linux in Wine, but it needs .net framework 3.5.x to run which isn't yet possible with Wine. Bummer!

It's possible to use a modified one, especially since it is open source

Try these :
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/02/how-to-install-mono-paint-in-ubuntu.html

http://www.webupd8.org/2009/09/paintnet-for-linux-paintmono.html

http://code.google.com/p/paint-mono/

Or Pinta :
Pinta - A Lightweight Paint.NET For Linux (But Also Works On Windows And Mac OS X)
http://pinta-project.com/

They seem to be quite useful for the average user.
keyman
I played with Pinta for a while, that's a good one with much promise. Still a bit buggy--if I typed an upper-case V while in Text mode it thought I was trying to paste an image and returned this error:
http://i.imgur.com/Q0JSH.png

I'll contact the developer and see if they know about that or not, it's still alpha software so they likely have a bug reporting setup.

It has much of the basic editing features that I use Gimp for, and opens much faster. By the time the Gimp is done starting up, I can open, crop, and save an image in Pinta and be done!

Cool, the possibility of using mono for Paint.net entered my mind but I didn't know where to look. I'll check that one out.
Thanks for the leads Smile
Tony The Tiger
michael12345 wrote:
it depends on what you need, how often you use it and of course which system you are using.
if you just need cropping images, paint will do that job for you too Smile

I am using Windows 7, and I use MS Paint only a few times a month. I will be using it far less frequently going forward since I am going to be less active on wikipedia in the coming months and I had been using the software to edit images for use on wikipedia after uploading them to wikimedia commons.
FunDa
Hmm ... then I think Picassa would be perfect for Tony the tiger. It does auto-color and auto-contrast with a single click.

Also it has an "I'm feeling lucky" button to fix a photo quickly.

Paint is too simple to do much useful work. Picassa's photo viewer is very nice and the editor is quite convenient.
I recommend Picassa for you Tony
ham65
If you want learn a profissional program,use photoshop my friend,But gimp orks fine too.

Bye
oTricKsteRx
With gimp, you can do a really nice work. I saw my friend using it and it was really nice. But I dont know if it is a good software.