FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Remember apple's weirdest Logo

royvalera
twas the multi colored apple logo. seems sheap to look at but i can eat my words if i teel it to them now
socceraggie
Amazing how far that company has come. I remember using old macintosh computers in middle school. They would freeze up regularly and remember every key stroke. So if you got frustrated and hit enter a thousand times or just hit the key board randomly, you had to wait until every key stroke was processed before the machine would unfreeze. Very frustrating. They all had the colored logo on them though. I think it would be cool if they came out with a modern computer but with the retro logo on the back. I'm sure you buy a sticker or something but that wouldn't be original.
LittleBlackKitten
Actually, all computers process every keystroke, still. The difference is, hitting enter a million times comes nowhere near overwhelming the CPU, so there is no freezing effect (or, slowing recovery if already frozen, depends on the curcumstance) at all. So, in essence, they all do the same thing; modern computers are just too fast to get bogged down from it.
Radar
I remember the multi-coloured Apple logo well. Apparently one of the main reasons that they phased it was the difficulty of printing it, without having the colours of each section bleeding into the others.

And no, it really wasn't the most unusual Apple logo. If you look back a bit further, their original logo was amazingly different to their current version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Apple_first_logo.png
mexiwithacan
Is anyone else sad that Apple doesn't include the 4x4 sliding tiles puzzle that used to be included in the Mac operating system? I tried to find a picture on Google but was unsuccessful. The game I think could be accessed by looking somewhere in the main OS menu around the "About this Mac" menu option.

I recently got a MacBook Pro (my first ever Apple computer), and I was greatly saddened by the absence of this puzzle game. It's like Windows shipping without Solitaire or Minesweeper.
pll
Damn! I thought they first real logo was the really colored apple.

I was wrong, I really believe that their first logo was by the time they still we're in the garage of the family house of steve jobs!
misterXY
i remember when mac's are computers and not dumbified...........

Update
Here's a logo from Apple, and a old poster

Flakky
How come this all reminds me to WWII. Are these posters real?
eday2010
I prefer the old rainbow Apple logo to the current one they use now, which is extremely boring. But I was never a fan of Apple to begin with.
deanhills
Wow, now that is the last thing I would be able to associate Apple Computers with, Nazis. I guess this logo must have been put together in a garage somewhere. I can't remember ever seeing that logo. I'm more familiar with the current one.
imera
I think their boring white logo is pretty and simple, not all logos needs to be colourful and detailed, often the simple ones are the ones we remember Razz

Right now I'm looking at my screen logo, it's from LG, and the round logo that looks like a face is something I will always remember.
rogue_skydragon
Radar wrote:
I remember the multi-coloured Apple logo well. Apparently one of the main reasons that they phased it was the difficulty of printing it, without having the colours of each section bleeding into the others.

And no, it really wasn't the most unusual Apple logo. If you look back a bit further, their original logo was amazingly different to their current version.

Holy smokes! I never knew they had a logo before the multi-colored apple. Interesting find.
socceraggie
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Actually, all computers process every keystroke, still. The difference is, hitting enter a million times comes nowhere near overwhelming the CPU, so there is no freezing effect (or, slowing recovery if already frozen, depends on the curcumstance) at all. So, in essence, they all do the same thing; modern computers are just too fast to get bogged down from it.

While this seems logical, it isn't entirely accurate. The mode with which the mac handled keyboard entries differed from the old PCs. In fact, if you pounded on a PC's keyboard when it froze it would not remember every key stroke, it would return to status quo once it finished what it was doing. I remember this very clearly because I worked with both machines back then and there was an obvious difference.
Flakky
socceraggie wrote:
LittleBlackKitten wrote:

While this seems logical, it isn't entirely accurate. The mode with which the mac handled keyboard entries differed from the old PCs. In fact, if you pounded on a PC's keyboard when it froze it would not remember every key stroke, it would return to status quo once it finished what it was doing. I remember this very clearly because I worked with both machines back then and there was an obvious difference.

Also note that not all keystrokes are remembered of course. It has a limit, which depends per system.
quex
LittleBlackKitten wrote:

Wanted to say this. I actually know an ailing PC that DOES get bogged by repetitive keystrokes; always have to tell my dad not to hit enter a million times when the system freezes, and he still never listens. Rolling Eyes
quex
imera wrote:
I think their boring white logo is pretty and simple, not all logos needs to be colourful and detailed, often the simple ones are the ones we remember :P

Right now I'm looking at my screen logo, it's from LG, and the round logo that looks like a face is something I will always remember.

Did you know what LG actually stood for at the company's inception? Lucky Goldstar... a combination of two brand names the company established for consumer products in Korea. So the cheap old "Goldstar" TVs and microwaves of the 80s and 90s were actually made by the same historical manufacturer that is LG today. Come a long way, eh?
captainsuperdude
os/2 was ibm/microsofts big comeback against apple right? I think both companies sort of realized the immortalness of the decisions they were making super hurriedly in cola-stained cubicles back in the early 90's...

...and today, a generation of angry bluecollar nerds after gates and jobbs and all them made it rich.

I sincerely hope the heads of that industry can keep people with them..

I mean there are a lot of wanna-be computer hacker kids who've almost been defrauded of their time for that dream of innovation and electronic pioneeringness.

Hopefully we don't get any more bubbles.
emanuel2
as already mentioned the cloured apple logo wasnt really the first one apple had.
here you can see the first one, which is ways stranger :

here is a great blog entry which shows a lot of such logo changes:
http://www.neatorama.com/2008/02/07/the-evolution-of-tech-companies-logos/

Just look at the old microsoft or nokio logos, very amazing how time has changed Very Happy
sketteksalfa
Radar wrote:

Whoa that logo is so classic! Isaac Newton there!
kainster
I like all of them, different styles, but all good
cybersa
I think current logo is better than old.
Because it is simple.
Then I'm not Apple fan.
codersfriend
I like the first one.. it reminds me of newton ...Smile
D'Artagnan
i was kinda thinking about it, several companies had weird logos in the 80s, i think the 80 were the age of weirdness
Radar
Okay, say what you will, but that logo is a part of my initial exposure to Apple computers, so I'm a huge fan of it. It is the classic era to me.
gh0strec0n_legit
These are so strange for me to see. I was born after those logos and didn't really know much about apple until iPods became popular. haha. It's interesting to see how logos change over time. Look at how Microsoft just changed their logo.
johans
emanuel2 wrote:
as already mentioned the cloured apple logo wasnt really the first one apple had.
here you can see the first one, which is ways stranger :

here is a great blog entry which shows a lot of such logo changes:
http://www.neatorama.com/2008/02/07/the-evolution-of-tech-companies-logos/

Just look at the old microsoft or nokio logos, very amazing how time has changed Very Happy

Thanks for this preview.. its nice actually..
milkshake01
Apple has changed a lot when it first started. Using Macbook Pro 13" (Late 2011) running Mac OS X 10.7.