FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

finding your ip address

menino
you can find your external ip, by going to this site = http://www.whatsmyip.org

This will show your external IP.

If ping / tracert is blocked or a rule exists on the firewall not to show the ip, you might not get it, but this is mainly from banking institutions and major security concerned companies.

Hope this helps.
Denvis
Ahh, I was looking for a way to do it manually. I've read guides which involves using dos but nothing seems to work. Sad
Nemesis234
if you can login to your router it will detail what IP it has been assigned, this is your external ip.
jdelfire
www.ipchicken.com
Denvis
jdelfire wrote:
www.ipchicken.com

Denvis wrote:
manually
rickylau
Manually:
Open "Network Connections" via Control Panel -> Double click on the connection you are going to find IP address of to open the status dialog -> your IP address is listed in "Support" tab

If your IP address is not the following, normally that is your external IP
- 10.0.0.1 ~ 10.255.255.254
- 172.16.0.1 ~ 172.31.255.254
- 192.168.0.0 ~ 192.168.255.254

Otherwise the computer is connected with a router, you have to log into the router control panel to check the external IP address (normally the IP address of the router is the "Default gateway" of your computer's network connection)
Denvis
rickylau wrote:
Manually:
Open "Network Connections" via Control Panel -> Double click on the connection you are going to find IP address of to open the status dialog -> your IP address is listed in "Support" tab

Otherwise the computer is connected with a router, you have to log into the router control panel to check the external IP address (normally the IP address of the router is the "Default gateway" of your computer's network connection)

I think you meant 'Network and Sharing Center' opposed to "Network connections". I also think you mean click once on the hyperlink by which the user can then proceed to click 'details' and then manually determine their 'LOCAL IP ADDRESS' whether it be IPv4 or IPv6 opposed to senselessly trying to locate the support tab.

Anyway, thanks for that. You basically told me how to figure out what my local IP address was. That information was worth null. There is a much simpler way involving the ipconfig command in dos.

You'd imagine ALL nodes within any network that has internet access need to be connected to a router/modem in order to access the internet. So yes, my computer is connected to a router, via cat-5 cable.

I logged into my router and under "WAN IP Address" it stated my external IP address. Thanks Very Happy The question now is... Is it possible to find out what your external IP address via dos or a 3rd party software?
menino
From what I can figure, if you want to do it manually, using dos, you can use a tracert command, i.e.

c:>tracert google.com

it will start tracing to google.com starting with your local ip, then to the router and then to the ISP router and so forth.
From here you have to check it.

Hope this helps.
Fire Boar
menino wrote:
From what I can figure, if you want to do it manually, using dos, you can use a tracert command, i.e.

it will start tracing to google.com starting with your local ip, then to the router and then to the ISP router and so forth.

Hope this helps.

This. The tracert/traceroute tool lets you see the IP address of every "hop" on the way to a server, including the router.
Denvis
menino wrote:

Hope this helps.

It doesn't seem to display my external IP address however it does display 8 other individually different IP addresses, two of which include my local and router. Confused
rickylau
Denvis wrote:

I think you meant 'Network and Sharing Center' opposed to "Network connections". I also think you mean click once on the hyperlink by which the user can then proceed to click 'details' and then manually determine their 'LOCAL IP ADDRESS' whether it be IPv4 or IPv6 opposed to senselessly trying to locate the support tab.
(OK you mean you are having Windows 7 / Vista (?) instead of the old-school windows XP...)

Anyway, thanks for that. You basically told me how to figure out what my local IP address was. That information was worth null. There is a much simpler way involving the ipconfig command in dos.

You'd imagine ALL nodes within any network that has internet access need to be connected to a router/modem in order to access the internet. So yes, my computer is connected to a router, via cat-5 cable.

I logged into my router and under "WAN IP Address" it stated my external IP address. Thanks Very Happy The question now is... Is it possible to find out what your external IP address via dos or a 3rd party software?
Well, before my previous reply, you did mentioned almost nothing about what you are expecting, so sorry for raising that worthless advice first, I don't know that you believe command line is simpler then a few mouse click (being an used-to-GUI guy, I don't think so a lot, although i do sometimes).

In my knowledge unless you log into the router's control panel or let outside to tell where you are connecting to there from, you are unable to check your router's external IP address.

Command / program checking WAN IP from router is possible, but the detailed procedure differs among router brands, i think there is no single universal command to do so.

These are the solutions I can think of (These should be works with 99% of networks)

- P2P softwares like e-mule, BT clients, they should be able to tell your external IP address
- A program to grab IP address from website telling you your IP address? (http://www.whatismyip.org/ is quite good for this case - it only returns the IP address without any markups)
- You may want to download this app, in fact it does the above point
- For command line, you may wget those IP-telling website
(----All of those should be the similar in the way they find your external IP address...----)
- If you want a more complicated way, maybe you can set-up a dynamic DNS, then nslookup your dynamic DNS host name...(lol I loved this way... but the dynamic DNS update client (if applicable) itself should be able to tell the IP address too, thus you don't have to nslookup it, then dynamic DNS did nothing...)
mugundhan
there are various method
1)visit these site www.whatismyip.com
www.showmyip.com
2)by sending a email to yourself
3)telnet to any website
anirudh
tat'll do it... Laughing Laughing
mukesh
you type "my IP is?" in google and find IP.
ProfessorY91
1. Windows Key + R
2. Type: ipconfig
KHO
ProfessorY91 wrote:
1. Windows Key + R
The only way that would show the external IP address is if you are connected directly to the modem. With dos you could simply traceroute onto the localhost (127.0.0.1)
nam_siddharth
Denvis wrote:
rickylau wrote:
Manually:

Yes, it is possible. There are many 3rd party software available for this purpose. I personally use OpenDNS Updater.
http://www.opendns.com/support/article/90
wschleifer
hello,

you can look in your router. There you can see the actual ip adress from your internet provider.

Wschleifer.
hillio
Go START->RUN and type cmd into the text box and hit OK. Once the terminal window opens, type IPCONFIG and hit enter. Your ip and other information will be shown.
rockpan
try wget, it will download the web page,
and then, you can parse the document in cmd.
Fire Boar
rockpan wrote:
try wget, it will download the web page,
and then, you can parse the document in cmd.

Wot? Why would that tell you your IP address?

... come to that, does Windows cmd even have a wget command?
portoskt
if you are online, just write what is my ip in google
portoskt
just write whatismyip in search engine, if you are online
k_s_baskar
start -> run - > cmd
from dos prompt type ipconfig/all
this will list your ipv4 and ipv6 ips of your computer.
sansam
Denvis wrote:
I'm stumped. I don't know how to find out my IP address. I want to know my external IP (foreign) not local IP.

Thanks to anyone that knows how.

Hi friend am here to help,you don't worry about that just you try to reach here by use this http://www.zippozap.com/domain-name-to-ip-address/link and enter the ip address after that it gives the exact details of particular you entered website full details like administrator name,address,etc..I also got the details from here only ..Hope its helpful....
mukesh
You can find IP by to help help of website and if you want to know the system Ip then go to Lan properties and go to details or by go to command more and type ipconfig or ip comfig all then your can easily find out ip.
baboosaa
why don't you simply google it? Or did you already?
If so and still you cant find anything for yourself then here a tip:
Normally your ISP is responsible for providing data through their router and they have all the infromatin of the routers they have. They may have what you need in their official site or you can access the information by asking with the respective person of the company...
kirii
i usually use http://ipchicken.com
Aredon
ProfessorY91 wrote:
1. Windows Key + R

actually you'd need to Windows key + R -> cmd.exe -> type ipconfig
using the "run" command to execute ipconfig will simply flash a prompt window faster than the user can read. Razz

KHO wrote:
The only way that would show the external IP address is if you are connected directly to the modem. With dos you could simply traceroute onto the localhost (127.0.0.1)

False, any computer behind NAT can see what the external IP address is. I'm not sure where you got your information, but it's absolutely not true that the computer must be directly connected to the modem.

Also of note, a lot of internet service providers are upgrading to IPv6. So while you may be looking for an IPv4 address (255.255.255.255) you may actually have an IPv6 external address. (###:###:###:###:###:etc)
neelgo
Denvis wrote:
I'm stumped. I don't know how to find out my IP address. I want to know my external IP (foreign) not local IP.

Simple

CLICK here-->> http://www.cmyip.com
sultana
[url]checkip.dyndns.com[/url]checkip.dyndns.com
u16888
simple www.ip168.com
pioneer987
I use [url]manoip.lt[/url]

whole website will show you users counter and your ip address..
nothing else Smile
pioneer987
u16888 wrote:
simple www.ip168.com

very simple :O
mukesh
Denvis wrote:

Go to run and open Command Prompt and type

ipconfig or

ipconfig \all

These both commands you can find out your computer ip, subnetmask, gateway, DNs and more .....
savable
menino wrote:
you can find your external ip, by going to this site = http://www.whatsmyip.org

This will show your external IP.

If ping / tracert is blocked or a rule exists on the firewall not to show the ip, you might not get it, but this is mainly from banking institutions and major security concerned companies.

Hope this helps.

Hey Can you explain me whats the difference between static and dynamic IP address ? There are companies when they give connection they say we will give you dynamic IP , we will give you static IP. And also you said you can find external IP through that website so what is over internal IP .
ProfessorY91
KHO wrote:
ProfessorY91 wrote:
1. Windows Key + R

I stand corrected. I can't conceive of a situation where a computer would either not be connected to a router, a hub, or a modem. In which case, I'd point out that a router automatically forwards an IP to each computer it's connected to. The only way this becomes an issue is if you're on a condor cluster or something similar, where a pool of computers is recognized by a block of IP addresses. In which case I'd amend my original answer to

ipconfig /all
savable
Denvis wrote:

If we are using internet in some campus or in university hostel where we have a complete network and administrator with a server controlling all the systems, then by checking our IP from the website people told here, which IP that website will give us ? it would be our server's IP or our PC's IP ? I have confusion so I asked.
sanalskumar
savable wrote:
Denvis wrote:

If we are using internet in some campus or in university hostel where we have a complete network and administrator with a server controlling all the systems, then by checking our IP from the website people told here, which IP that website will give us ? it would be our server's IP or our PC's IP ? I have confusion so I asked.

Any sites mentioned here to check the IP address, will only show the IP which is exposed to the outside world. It can be the NATed public IP of your proxy server or if you have got a machine, which has a direct internet connection given through a firewall, it can be the NATed IP of your machine as well. In such cases, if you use dynamic NATing, you may see different IPs every time you check. Things would have been simpler with IPv6. Smile
tidruG
Hey, glad that your query was resolved, but in the future, it would be advisable to not delete your entire first post. It's possible that other people might have the same questions and can refer to your thread when they search. Smile

-locked-