FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[LF] Server protecting software

anakonda118
I've recently thought about making a server for backing up all my stuff on various computers in the house. But I would also like to experiment with hosting stuff on the same server (websites/game servers and so on). But, letting people nearly being into my computer gives a huge flaw in the security I suppose. So what I'm looking for a is some software (preferably free) that can keep my backup files and the computer safe from harm.
Jean-Clod
you want free software, so I assume you use Windows

Well, there isn't any special software that could do that, properly configuring your server may be enough

For the websites, Apache (or even IIS) restricts access to it's domains (or htdocs) folder, so visitors won't be able to download your files, else they would be able to do it in every website (+: restrict access to folders (using .htaccess..))

For games, game servers usually consist in some software you must run, so there's no security problem (else I won't host games anymore Razz)

If the "stuff" you want to host includes some type of ftp/file sharing, then you'll need to be extra careful

If not, just use a good firewall, and put the backups in a different partition (or hdd), and lock the access to them (ntfs), allow only a special account (you)
anakonda118
Jean-Clod wrote:
and put the backups in a different partition (or hdd), and lock the access to them (ntfs), allow only a special account (you)

Any chance you'll be able to explain how to do that?
Jean-Clod
well, I have my idea, but it's not so easy to do; and it depends (whether you backup your files manually or automatically, using (for instance) Windows 7's network backup)

the whole idea is to have 2 hdd's (or even 3; or you could partition the only hdd, but that means dualboot, and a single-hdd server is not really a server.. ), to install windows, the "hosting stuff" (apache, game servers, etc..) on the first; and to install linux, (ubuntu server ed, or even debian), and put your backups, all on the second hdd.

that way, when you need your "stuff", you boot into windows, if you need your backups, you boot into linux

if you use a "linux-specific" format (one not supported, at least out of the box, by windows), like ext3/4, windows won't even be able to read your backups, and that means max security
silverdown
Not sure if this was already said but no matter what you do if a hacker wants in badly and had the time and if it's a group of hackers they will gain access. Nothing is unhackable , hackers and evil programmers will use that skill to find a way in. Seeing that many ports connect to the web a pro hacker could use that to gain access even from a computer within a network...

However in the past i trusted

Zonelab FREE verrsion, comdo personal firewall free but hard to setup if you dont know.
anakonda118
silverdown wrote:
Not sure if this was already said but no matter what you do if a hacker wants in badly and had the time and if it's a group of hackers they will gain access. Nothing is unhackable , hackers and evil programmers will use that skill to find a way in. Seeing that many ports connect to the web a pro hacker could use that to gain access even from a computer within a network...

However in the past i trusted

Zonelab FREE verrsion, comdo personal firewall free but hard to setup if you dont know.
Yea ofcourse, but that doesn't mean that I should make my computer a hackers paradise :p