FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you think of Les Misérables?

ato784
What do you think of Les Misérables?

I am currently in the middle of reading it and I really like it, I am kind of surprised that it is so compelling and political, some things even effect us today. When i finally finish it, i will need to read another can anyone recommend another such book, or perhaps something more recient?

I was also shocked by how almost all movie interpretations completely miss the point of the movie.

Edit: I fixed the spelling
zbale
actually "Misérables" (or "Miserables" if you can't have an easy access to accents).
kutekitten
ato784 wrote:
What do you think of Les Meserables? ( i hope i spelt it right)
Les Misérables Smile

ato784 wrote:
I am currently in the middle of reading it and I really like it, I am kind of surprised that it is so compelling and political, some things even effect us today. When i finally finish it, i will need to read another can anyone recommend another such book, or perhaps something more recient?
1) Are you reading it in french or english?
2) Are you reading the complete version? (might want to check, it's surprisingly long)
3) I love Les Misérables, I read it in french (I am bilingual) which means I lost nothing in the translation.

ato784 wrote:
I was also shocked by how almost all movie interpretations completely miss the point of the movie.
I'm assuming here that you mean that the movies completely missed the point of the book.
What exactly are you talking about? Like what do you believe the point of the book is, and why do you think they missed it?
Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions, it's just that there are a lot of interpretations of these things, and I'm curious as you what yours is Smile
ato784
Thanks for the spelling fix Smile

I am reading it in English, and yes the full version.

Also, yes i meant that the movies completely missed the point of the book. ( i was a bit tired when i wrote that)

Also, I believe that the main point of the book is that people are not always what they appear to be, and that people over stereotype each other.

For example,
Jean Valjean is a prisioner, and no one thinks that prisioners can be trusted and that they can do no good.

also M. & Mme. Thénardier (a.k.a. the Jondrettes, a.k.a. M. Fabantou, a.k.a. M. Thénard) are "honest" people who should be highly moral and do no evil, but they do perform evil deeds.

these ideas are almost completely non-exsistant in the movie versions. (although Javert does touch upon it a little)
ato784
Update: I finished reading the book and I loved it. I personally liked it better than The Count of Monte Cristo. While The Count of Monte Cristo had a better plot and I liked the idea better, Les Misérables pulled the story together in a better way and presented the story faster. so where the count dragged, Les Misérables kept on going.

I also read the Count in English and the full version.