FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Questions and Best Answers

mexiwithacan
When searching for solutions to technical problems, sometimes a rather lengthy thread will contain the information sought. However, in a lengthy thread it may be difficult to identify the "best" answer to the original question.

Would it be possible to implement a feature in the forum like Yahoo! Answers?
Bondings
The difference is that on Frihost we are actually discussing the question/topic, while on Yahoo Answers there isn't much discussion, it's rather everyone trying to give the best answer. In a discussion you can hardly re-order the posts and place the best one on top. Maybe a link to the best answer is the solution.

Otherwise we could make one or more special question-answer forums, similar to Yahoo Answers. The problem is that I actually prefer the discussion format, as the answers in Yahoo Answers aren't debated/nuanced, while in a discussion that is the case.
mexiwithacan
Actually what you say is very true. I like the idea of posting a link to the "best answer" instead, and that link can actually be appended to the first post on the thread as an edit.

Cool!
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
Otherwise we could make one or more special question-answer forums, similar to Yahoo Answers. The problem is that I actually prefer the discussion format, as the answers in Yahoo Answers aren't debated/nuanced, while in a discussion that is the case.
Agreed. Sometimes it is the whole of the discussion that is the best answer, rather than one posting.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Bondings wrote:
Agreed. Sometimes it is the whole of the discussion that is the best answer, rather than one posting.

And if the question is important to you, reading the whole topic isn't that difficult most of the time.
Most simple question-asking topics don't go over 10 pages tops.