FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Greece and Europe, what's up?

cvluong
For some background: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6124EL20100203

So, how do people think the Greece issue is going to unfold? Greece seems to be looking away from the EU recently. Is it possible for them to secede? I know that Germany, and probably many other countries in the EU would be in favor.

I believe it would be healthiest for the economy as a whole if we let Greece leave the EU; because then we could let Greece default on their loans and regain a state of normalcy. I'm not saying it won't be painful: we would probably see some sort of world recession, perhaps even on par with what we saw because of the sub-prime business. But in the long-run, I think this is inevitable. This way, we can let Greece fail without endangering one of the world's most powerful currencies (the Euro)

What does everyone think?

--c
Peterssidan
It can be dangerous if other countries also get where Greece are now. I know to little about economics to really say but I think this affects the EMU countries more than other EU countries. I have never wanted my country to be in the EU or EMU. We are a member of EU but not EMU and this decrease the risk that we will be members in the nearest future, so it's a mixed feeling.
long live independence!
deanhills
Greece's problems are fundamental ones of greed and corruption of a Government that is completely out of control and has very little support of its people. I'm worried that by helping Greece that the help may end up by propping up a bad system. Instead of helping to solve the problems. Hopefully there will be many provisos written into the loans to Greece, including strict rules in getting rid of the corruption by Government officials.
Flakky
Greece is ruining the European economy so it would be better for the rest if they would leave but if that is the case the word Europe should have no meaning.
Peterssidan
Flakky wrote:
Greece is ruining the European economy so it would be better for the rest if they would leave but if that is the case the word Europe should have no meaning.

What do you mean? Greece can't leave Europe, it's a continent. But it can leave EU I guess.
Magicman
I was in Europe recently and the Euro dropped drastically while I was there. The EU has so many resources that hopefully Greece can be back on track again soon.
app893
I think both of the economi system will affect the whole world.maybe it will be worse in the future.
hunnyhiteshseth
I think for Greece to leae EU or for EU to expel Greece would be too detrimental for future of European Union. if this happens, then EU will become a union in good times and a divided house in bad times. I think that will destroy whole concept of having a single union.
standready
deanhills wrote:
Greece's problems are fundamental ones of greed and corruption of a Government that is completely out of control and has very little support of its people.

Sounds like the US!
hunnyhiteshseth
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Greece's problems are fundamental ones of greed and corruption of a Government that is completely out of control and has very little support of its people.

Sounds like the US!

Sounds like any country's problem!!