FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

O.o Email / Webmail help!

Parkour_Jarrod
Okay in the past 3 days i have gone from having 20 spam emails and getting 1-2 a day to having and most of the emails are saying

Quote:
<removed>

How can i stop it?!
Only reason i posted it here is because its being sourced from my <default> address which is the cpanel login email for the hosting you have given me.
SonLight
A first suggestion, which may help you in the future but not immediately, is not to post your email address on a publicly readable page. If you need to provide it, even a minor modification such as using <at> instead of @ will prevent most spam harvesters from seenig it.

What appears to have happened is that a spammer has sent many emails using your address in the "from:" line. When the email goes to an invalid address, the recipient mail system sends a message to notify the sender that the email couldn't be delivered. In this case, due to the forged address, it thinks you sent the email.

If you are willing to do some extra work, you might consider sending the emails to a site such as knujon.com or spamcop.net where they can use it to identify and stop spammers. Otherwise, I would suggest just waiting for the barrage to run it's course and be thankful that they are going into your spambox, not your inbox.
Parkour_Jarrod
SonLight wrote:
A first suggestion, which may help you in the future but not immediately, is not to post your email address on a publicly readable page. If you need to provide it, even a minor modification such as using <at> instead of @ will prevent most spam harvesters from seenig it.

What appears to have happened is that a spammer has sent many emails using your address in the "from:" line. When the email goes to an invalid address, the recipient mail system sends a message to notify the sender that the email couldn't be delivered. In this case, due to the forged address, it thinks you sent the email.

If you are willing to do some extra work, you might consider sending the emails to a site such as knujon.com or spamcop.net where they can use it to identify and stop spammers. Otherwise, I would suggest just waiting for the barrage to run it's course and be thankful that they are going into your spambox, not your inbox.

The thing is this email address has NEVER been given out as i don't use it, Frihost is the only site to have it, as i use a forwarder with a different name, that sends it to my gmail from a different site.

Yeah, thanks GMAIL for being snazzy and sending all 100,000 of them to my spam box.

I don't think i will send them to spamcop or knujon because well. there are about 400 different types of messages, and each email is a different email address
Bondings
I have create an Alert about this. Please discuss this there. I have also removed the email and the email addresses to prevent them from spam bots (they crawl the whole internet for email addresses to spam).
-closed-