FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Cooling system





simon
I just bought a desktop 2 month ago.. the spec of my desktop is :

proc : amd barton 2500
hdd : 80GB
mobo : Gigabyte 7400
ddr : Corsair 512mb pc400
fan : standard
graphic card : HIS ATI RADEON 256mb


the problem is my system is hot when running more than hour.. then it always hanging.. what i should do to make the system work properly..

Should i change system fan or some upgrading ??
Helios
well yea, try buying a nice fat processor fan.

Don't ever use case-fans.. they help in making noise and that's all!

you can try those fancy water cooling systems or liquid hydrogen cooling systems(-130 C will be enough, no?)

but maybe it's not even an overheating related issue.. could be the memory.
gh0stface
Helios wrote:

Don't ever use case-fans.. they help in making noise and that's all!

Uh... case fans do help in cool. As long as you install them correctly. True, that the can add some noise, however there ARE some quality case fans(Panaflos) that are quite quiet.

Anyways, your case fan should be installed something in this fashion. The case fans in the front should intake the cooler air from the outside, while the exhaust fans in the back of the case should export the hotter air to the outside. Pretty much you want something similar the picture shown below.


Make sure you use a quality thermal compound on your CPU and heatsink/fan combo such as Arctic Silver. Here are the instructions on how to apply it.

How to put on Arctic Silver5.
dxhunter
Amd Barton is ussualy hot cpu but maybe your kase air trend is oK. maybe little down your cpu heat I use AMD 3000+ and usually my cpu hot is 27-35 celsius. and maybe you use external cool system zalman or Thermaltake cpu coller.
DriveCrash
Sorry to hear about your heat problem..

First thing.. I'd get MBM4 (motherboard monitor 4) it's free, just do a search on google.. watch your temps. Make sure it's a heat problem and not something else. if your proc is under 55c your ok. i like to keep mine around 37-43 under load, but i take it to an extreme.

Ok on the case thing, that largely depends on your case. If you have channels in the case where air is directed to the area's needed, sure case fans can do wonders for ambient heat. However you still have a problem in motherboard layout. Most MB's these days have a good layout, some still put the ram too close to the processor imo. But overall most cases don't do much on the cooling side. I have 5 computers in one room and all but one of them have the case covers off. The ambient temp goes up way too high otherwise. The intel does fine with heat, they just run cooler (bastards)

Here's my questions:

1) is your computer in a "hutch" or a desk with a door on it? Those suckers get WAY too hot. I suggest a small external fan (5-6inch) in the back of the desk to move air in and out of that cubby. Theres no amount of fans that can cool inside a desk like that due to the ambient temp going up and not haveing cooler "fresh" air to bring it back down =(

2) Whats your cable layout look like? do you have ribbon cables everywhere blocking airflow around the proc? zipties are wonderful things Wink

3) Open the case after a shutdown and put your hand on the harddrive. Is it blistering hot? I've had more problems due to hdd overheating than proccessors.. people often overlook cooling a harddrive. which is sad cause they last so much longer when they stay cool =D

4) And the technical crap. Check your proccessor spec and your bios, make sure your mb isn't overclocking the chip or running +3% voltage.. Most of my amd's are running under voltage and stable. Helps with heat alot. (some mb/proc cant run on undervoltage stable.. )

5) Get a bigger heatsink on your proccessor. Tho i've never had a system that would lock due to heat as long as it had a stock sink on and the fan was turning. They will run hot and heat your room for you that way, but they shouldn't lock up. If all this fails and your computer savvy, you might pull the sink off (get a better one?) and make sure there is some thermal tape or "heatsink grease" between the proc and sink.

Thats all i got.. good luck! =)
gh0stface
DriveCrash wrote:

5) Get a bigger heatsink on your proccessor. Tho i've never had a system that would lock due to heat as long as it had a stock sink on and the fan was turning. They will run hot and heat your room for you that way, but they shouldn't lock up. If all this fails and your computer savvy, you might pull the sink off (get a better one?) and make sure there is some thermal tape or "heatsink grease" between the proc and sink.

Thats all i got.. good luck! =)

That is true, most systems when they overheat, they tend to reboot itself. I know mine did quite a few times back when I overclocked my AMD Duron 700.

You might also want to check out your ram. You may have a bad stick which can also cause lockups. MemTest is an excellent free RAM diagnostic program. You can get the program here. Most people only run the first 5 tests.
Helios
gh0stface,

I always talk from exp. dude Smile

I live in israel and tested the case fans in the summer(35 C)

My motherboard's temp was 36 C..

I've installed the 2 fans in 3 different positions.

The temp. stayed on 36 C.


So for me it's a waste of good hearing and money ^^

But, thou can do as thou wish Rolling Eyes
gh0stface
Helios wrote:
gh0stface,

I always talk from exp. dude Smile

I live in israel and tested the case fans in the summer(35 C)

My motherboard's temp was 36 C..

I've installed the 2 fans in 3 different positions.

The temp. stayed on 36 C.


So for me it's a waste of good hearing and money ^^

But, thou can do as thou wish Rolling Eyes

I also talk from experience too. I found without case fans, the ambient temperature inside the case is higher without the fans. Why do you think case fans are such a big deal? Because they actually do help keep the system cooler. Not to knock on your judgement, but perhaps your thermometer on your motherboard isn't working correctly.
gonzo
- next time don't buy an AMD space heater
- hopefully you've learned how unwise overclocking is

Better fortune next time!
simon
oo.. i.c .. that mean.. even i'm not using a door ( casing) the temperature is still hot.. if i choose to change cpu fan.. what type of fan may value and good for me to choose?? And Is it memory 512 enough to support on my system??
Helios
Quote:

I also talk from experience too. I found without case fans, the ambient temperature inside the case is higher without the fans. Why do you think case fans are such a big deal? Because they actually do help keep the system cooler. Not to knock on your judgement, but perhaps your thermometer on your motherboard isn't working correctly.


and I think that my motherboard doesn't overheat.
etan
buy a fan for ur CPU
gh0stface
Helios wrote:

and I think that my motherboard doesn't overheat.

I'm not saying that your motherboard isn't overheating. I'm just saying that it's a possibilty that your motherboard isn't recording the ambient temperature correctly. It's not uncommon for motherboards to do that.

simon wrote:
oo.. i.c .. that mean.. even i'm not using a door ( casing) the temperature is still hot.. if i choose to change cpu fan.. what type of fan may value and good for me to choose?? And Is it memory 512 enough to support on my system??

Since you have an AMD Barton, a good heatsink I recommend is Thermalright's XP-90 or a XP-90c. The only the difference between the two is that XP-90 is made out of aluminum whiel the XP-90c is made out of copper. Copper is a better heat conducter which is why copper heatsinks tend to be a bit more expensive. These heatsinks coupled with a Panaflo 80mm fan, you have a pretty low noise, high CFM(cubic feet moved per minute), really good air cooling.

A stick of 512 megs is good enough for your system. However, more RAM is always good. 512 is pretty much the standards for now a days, but soon 1 gig will be the norm. If you're going to purchase another stick of 512 megs of RAM, you want to try and stay with the same brand and model.
jawker
nice diagram ghostface also to add up with your cooling system try installing exhausts which will help sip out the warm air in the casing or try using casings with holes on the sides this is quite helpful or the easiest way is to leave your casing open
jawker
also i forgot try to observe what part of your pc is causing it to heat up...the harddisk is one possible cause why its heating up and the most common is the AGP/video card..if you read your motherboard's manual it shows there how many volts coming from the video card it could support.
If your video card releases more volts more than what your motherboard could support it will surely heat up. If that's the source i recommend you buy a video card with just enough voltage so as not to burn your motherboard.
cnnet
I still use the computer I bought 7 years ago
fits me well
I don't play games
Helios
gh0stface wrote:
Helios wrote:

and I think that my motherboard doesn't overheat.

I'm not saying that your motherboard isn't overheating. I'm just saying that it's a possibilty that your motherboard isn't recording the ambient temperature correctly. It's not uncommon for motherboards to do that.


My mother board is 100% fine. =)
waiteck
Add a heatsink.
Bladenet
As someone above said get motherboard monitor, speed fan, or a similar program. Look at the temperatures when the PC isn't doing anything, and shortly after you've played your favorite game for some time.
If everything looks ok, or you just not sure what is going on:
look at control panel/ administrative tools/ event viewer and see if there is a major error just before the computer hangs (time is included too)

If everything is leading to temperature, try installing a cpu cooling software just until you buy a proper fan (i'm not sure are these programs work at all).
Related topics
your specs
Overclocking.....
How do you clean your pc from dust?
Possible Overheating
AGP Graphics Cards - Laptop/Mobile
centrino cpu
Your dream computer?
P4 5GHz at -190deg !!!!!!!
laptop-W511A (company:GIGABYTE )
I want to buy a new CPU cooling
overclock
Aprill RSV 1000
What was the most AMAZING thing you have ever done in life ?
CPU Water Cooling Suggestions:
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.