FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

North Korea (Allegedly) Succeeds at Nuclear Fusion

AftershockVibe
Quote:
North Korea has announced that it has made significant progress towards the development of thermo-nuclear power.

It is a claim that is likely to be met with some scepticism. Despite hopes that the technology can produce large quantities of cheap, clean energy, no country has so far succeeded in making it work.

Quote:
[...]Not the first time it seems that the laws of nature have been bent in his honour. According to official biographies, when his son, the current leader Kim Jong-il was born, a new star appeared in the sky.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8676678.stm

----

I'm always torn between amusement and sadness with stories like this. It's insane that a modern country exists like this.
deanhills
AftershockVibe wrote:
I'm always torn between amusement and sadness with stories like this. It's insane that a modern country exists like this.
Right, but also some concern, as it is probably not a good idea for a country which is not that clued up to be playing with dangerous toys like these.
SonLight
deanhills wrote:
AftershockVibe wrote:
Right, but also some concern, as it is probably not a good idea for a country which is not that clued up to be playing with dangerous toys like these.

Based on the source (and I'll admit I haven't read the information), North Korea's claims seem about as likely as cold fusion. I do not think it is very dangerous however. Unless lighted with a nuclear fission match, fusion reactions are very fickle, either exploding while still minimal and scattering the material and extinguishing the fire, or failing to maintain a reaction.