FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Turn off Remote Avatars.

babumuchhala
Well the 25 KB u have given is more than enough (i feel its more but will do)

But i have seen avatars of more than that size, bcos of remote hosting of avatars. as the board does not have control over te size Sad

I dont have anything against this guy Tepelstreeltje but his avatar is 82 KB, and thats too much for users of dial up & narrowband.
Bondings
I'm thinking of doing that, yes. Very Happy
Jack_Hammer
Yes I also agree that there shouldn't be linked avatars, either that or somehow moderate the size of linked avatars, I would also suggest the size of signitures, I saw somone around with with 3 different singniture images in his sig which took up a fair amount of room,
Jack_Hammer
For exmple user Acath:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2228
dan751
My avatar is 79KB, because it is a Macromedia Fireworks PNG. However, out of courtesy for the Dial-up users, I have saved it as a Jpeg, and it is now 5KB.Smile
bicostp
I believe you should leave remote hosting of aatars turned on, because it will save bandwidth because the images are merely linked to as opposed to being hosted locally.

(for example an image link is just a few bytes long, while a 55k avatar is roughly 55,000 bytes long. It may not sound like much, but when you get many many people coming daily, it adds up...)
Twikki
I agree with the post above BUT make a rule saying your avatar must be no bigger than... and must be ... x ...
bicostp
Well, not posting a 1600x1200 avatar is common sense... right? Wink

I thought there was a phpbb mod that managed the size of offsite avatars as well as local ones, but I might be misstaken...
Jack_Hammer
bicostp wrote:
Well, not posting a 1600x1200 avatar is common sense... right? Wink

I thought there was a phpbb mod that managed the size of offsite avatars as well as local ones, but I might be misstaken...

Not to some people Some people with high screen res. might think that that kind of avtar might be alright, everybodys different and I hate to say this but some people are just plain stupid...
Wink
gonzo
babumuchhala wrote:
his avatar is 82 KB, and thats too much for users of dial up & narrowband.

Speaking of common sense... dialup users have NO business trying to use the web. Now before you start ranting please remind the class for what purpose the web was designed.

A reasonable avatar filesize limit is 300kB.
n0obie4life
I'm not sure about that, but I've seen huge forums, the limit for some are

"Users avatar + siggy size may not be higher than 36kb"
"Eg - n0obie4life has 2 pics in his siggy that total up to 30kb. plus his huge avatar that is 50kb. its a total of 80kb, which isn't allowed"

Maybe raise ours?
babumuchhala
What i have is a 64kbps unlimited line. Here in India speed of 256kbps is given broadband status but thats too costly. And a 512kbps line is still unheard of atleast for home users
Eyre
i think they should be turned off. For me, i always just upload them, because i make them myself. Smile
Sunny
Not just Avatar's , Sign size should be limited to 50kb too.No point if someone has avatar of 15kb but sign pic of 120kb or with large dimension.

@babumuchhala..Just so that you know Few ISP's have recently lowered the broadband prices.

SpectraSmart : 256 Unlimited : Rs. 1400 128 Kbs Unlimited : Rs. 999
Airtel 256 unlimted : 256 Unlim : Rs. 999 128 Kbs Unlimited : Rs. >700
Reliance (Wireless) 256 Unlimited : Rs. 1200 128 Kbs Unlim : Rs. 700
Mtnl is planning to change plans and I'm expecting a 256kb unlimted connection from them.
babumuchhala
Sunny wrote:
Not just Avatar's , Sign size should be limited to 50kb too.No point if someone has avatar of 15kb but sign pic of 120kb or with large dimension.
Well yes thats right. But i donno if its possible and if it is it will be a hell of a task, i can bet on that

Sunny wrote:
@babumuchhala..Just so that you know Few ISP's have recently lowered the broadband prices.

SpectraSmart : 256 Unlimited : Rs. 1400 128 Kbs Unlimited : Rs. 999
Airtel 256 unlimted : 256 Unlim : Rs. 999 128 Kbs Unlimited : Rs. >700
Reliance (Wireless) 256 Unlimited : Rs. 1200 128 Kbs Unlim : Rs. 700
Mtnl is planning to change plans and I'm expecting a 256kb unlimted connection from them.
All the prices u have mentioed r still costly. Not all can afford it. Plus most plans we have is MB based and the unlimited plans are still costly. Only if VSNL didnt put roadblocks in TRAIs move to cut bandwidth prices, the prices e have would be halved.
Jack_Hammer
Most of the plans over here are all quite cheap and fast (Okay not as fast as say sweden) but few are limited and it's much cheaper to get a faster connection than stay with a slow one...
dan751
Awww. I prefered to have my avatar on my site.Sad Oh well.
carl005
you guys are a bit of avatar jerks. i've seen countless forums with avatar sizes 150x150 ablities and larger file sizes. if you don't want people uploading or using avatars larger than your allowed standars, why not just edi the php-script.
Monkeydog
I think you should increase the avatar size to at least 130x130...but keep the 25kb size limit.Since I have plenty of avatars around the 150x150 range that are less than 10 kbs =/
Ahhh this sucks, no wonder my avatar wasn't showing Razz
mOrpheuS
gonzo wrote:
Speaking of common sense... dialup users have NO business trying to use the web. Now before you start ranting please remind the class for what purpose the web was designed.

A reasonable avatar filesize limit is 300kB.

kind of like saying "sick people have no business living".

And for what purpose do you think dial-up was designed ?

Let's not be aristocrats like queen Antoinette...

Have you never had the pleasure of surfing the web back in the days of dialup ? Confused
There are still people who surf that way... many.

300kB seems reasonable to you as per your connection speed, right ?
There might also be people with faster connections who won't be bothered even with a few MB worth of avatars.
And similarly there are many people to whom 25kB is just about bearable.

I think 25 kB is good enough for avatars.
Wink
n0obie4life
Stop whining.

I mean it.

We are very kind with our rules already. Compare it with other forums and you'll see how kind are we.
carl005
pffft... i've seen forums run rampant. i have actually been a member of a forum that was hacked several times because of wars we've waged war on other inferior forums. they would rip a place like this a new one.
n0obie4life
Its done.

-close-