FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to handle dead pets?

mk12327
I'm not sure if this issue had been raised before but from a quick search nothing much appeared except for one dated 2007 about pet cremation.

Recently, the hamsters my sister and brother were keeping died. Not sure the actual cause of death though. We were quite unsure how to handle the bodies of the dead pets and the associated equipment so i thought maybe i could gather some common practices by Frihosters.

Cremation? Burial? What if you live in high-rise apartments and do not have access to a "burial ground"?
jwellsy
Cremation would cost money. Have a little burial ceremony for the kids. You could take them to a vets office and leave them there. The vets office will just toss them in the trash. But, at least the kids won't see it.
badai
i just buried my cats in my backyard.

my mother used to plants tree on the grave, but nobody will eat the fruit from those trees.
menino
I think its a good idea for a burial.

It might be a good idea to have a similar burial to how we humans have it, i.e. put the pet in a shoe box, then busry it, and each person including the children say what they loved about the pet and possibly throw some sand into the hole where the box is lying.

THis burial ceremony can teach the kids about death as well.

I don't know if you want to have a wake,... maybe that will be too much.
Its how the kids will take it.

If your pet has died, then I'm sorry for your loss.
deanhills
If they are hamsters, and they died from suspicious origins, maybe that should be brought to the attention of a vet? Maybe the vet can give the best advice for how you should be dealing with the bodies.
ocalhoun
For a utilitarian solution, you can drop them off at most veterinarian offices.

Other than that, you have to deal with it on your own, or find one of the rare businesses that functions as a 'pet undertaker'. (If there is such a business in the area, the vet can probably refer you to them if they don't do it themselves.)
mk12327
I wasn't around when the hamsters died, neither was i around when the "disposal" was done.
In fact, the "disposal" was rather a black box to me. I only know that it had already been taken care off by the time i was home. Honestly I didn't want to know too much either, since i highly suspect it would not be very nice. Burial is highly unlikely since i live in a high-rise apartment.

@jwellsy: I believe it is a good idea not to let the kids see if the "disposal" is unhumane like throwing into a trash bin. It would make them think lightly of the death of animals.

@badai: I think i would not want to eat the fruits as well. =X

@menino: A simple burial ceremony would be nice if the younger ones are very affected by the loss of the pet. It puts a closing and hopefully they would get over the death after the ceremony.

@deanhills: So far it seems like your reply is the most "technical" one. It does seems important to know the real cause of death and the best way to deal with the bodies. I wouldn't want to cause problems or diseases to others due to inappropriate disposal.

@ocalhoun: I'm not sure if my local veterinarian offices does these services. Even if they do, i'm really afraid it would be like what jwellsy had said.
nigam
we usually bury dead bodies of our pets. we can't throw them anywhere...
ocalhoun
mk12327 wrote:

@ocalhoun: I'm not sure if my local veterinarian offices does these services. Even if they do, i'm really afraid it would be like what jwellsy had said.

It would be just like that; they'd probably toss them in a biohazard bag and then in a dumpster... but you don't have to tell the kids that part.
airh3ad
Im sure your pets is already i n heaven its really hard to handle dead pets like for example your pets is important etc its like your baby, brother many pet owners report seeing, hearing, smelling or feeling the presence of their beloved pet after its death.Maybe We can easily say that thousands of people have experienced the spirits of deceased pets and animals. However, these phenomena have been poorly investigated from a scientific point of view; therefore we cannot know what percentage of them are credible.
driftingfe3s
A hamster is too small to cause any kind of concern if you buried it yourself to cause something like ground water contamination. My family buried my two dogs that have passed away in the back yard.
paul_indo
When our hamsters died and then a few years later two of our puppies died we buried them in our yard.
Generaly it's pretty unlikely that a dead pet would have any disease that could infect a human. If you have other pets it would make more sense to keep them away from the bodies.
It is much more likely though that they would transmit a disease while they were still alive I would think.

We wrap ours in cloth then bury them and then you feel not quite so seperated. It's silly really but you do get attached to your pets.
andysart380
ive gone through 4 rottweilers in my life time and i tell you.. there is no easy way to go about the death of a pet. They become a member of the family, you get attached, you count on them to be there every day for you, make you feel better when your sad, and enjoy the best moments along side of you... an animal deserves the most upmost respect for loyalty. love them till the day they die.. and continue to love them forever
TurtleShell
Yes, when I was a little girl, we used to bury the dead hamsters. This issue has been raised again now that I'm an adult and my partner is a teacher who keeps classroom hamsters. The first class hamster died just a few months ago. She was in the care of a family when this happened, and we never found out how the family disposed of the body. I was wondering how they took care of it because we're in Los Angeles, and I don't know if this family had a back yard to bury it in. Had the hamster died in my apartment building, I wouldn't have had the slightest idea what to do.
LittleBlackKitten
I'd suggest burying them, if local bi-laws allow. It almost seems like you're saying goodbye with a note of respect for them; not just "whatever" with the body. Every pet I've lost (with the exception of fish and frogs) have been buried in the back yard, housed in a pickle jar or shoebox. There's even a little makeshift headstone made out of a rock and a sharpie. Smile
selena
we have dog before that we are taking care of for more than 15 years he passed away due to aging what we did is we buried him just like a normal people do to their family members..
coolclay
Even in a high rise apartment I would assume there has to be dirt or grass around somewhere? It doesn't take too much area to bury 2 little hamsters.
ajitha999
i just buried my cats in my backyard.
Radar
Alan Alda - a famous actor, for those who need some context - wound up naming his biography 'Never Have Your Dog Stuffed'.

As far as my memory goes, his father decided that when their dog died, it would be a good experience to go out and bury the dog. However, Alan as a child simply ended up crying excessively, and so the father changed his mind. Instead, they had their dog stuffed. Except for some reason, the dog was stuffed in such a way that it's face was frozen in a growl. This apparently was rather disconcerting.

I'm not sure whether or not there's a lesson to apply from that story. Maybe.
zbale
If you're not sure about technical details you may try to call your vet or the municipality. They can probably tell you about the options you have.