FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Best programming language for making a game?






Which programming language would you use?
Vb.net
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C++
75%
 75%  [ 12 ]
Java
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Python
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

milleja46
Ok right now i am a little confused, i have been told that i should use this or that language for this but i want to see what others think. I was gonna start with doing vb.net(since the fact i already know this language and opengl or directx make it possible). But then i was told to do c++ instead, and gave up because it was too hard. So i was told to use java, and have been in the planning stages, and have been told to do python! Someone please help!
rickylau
My opinion is: use the language [ you are familiar with + suite your need ] most at the top priority.

For a command line game, I think there's no difference among the languages you listed. Just that VB.NET you need to have .NET installed on target machine, Java you need to have the JRE. I think it is not a really good idea to distribute softwares in these two languages.

For GUI, control-based game, VB does have significant advantage - RAD which let you directly "draw" the interface on it, I have loved VB a lot for that feature long long ago, but not now. Since in C++, there's something just like VB, called Qt, it is more advantageous than VB when you want your project available in both Windows / Linux / other platforms.

For 3D games, you are in the hell if you don't use any 3D library. Java can be ignored, its performance is not as good as others. Python... I'm not sure if it is capable, and for VB if you say VB supports DirectX / OpenGL then go for it.

BTW, you should think of what you are going to do first, and how to do it after (although you can plan both in the same time just like me lol.)
milleja46
Well i have alot of plans, it is supposed to be a 3d rpg(maybe morpg once i can get help to develop further). I am really familiar with vb.net if i can just find a design view function for monodevelop. And a little java but i have a hard time with those non oop languages, because i have not done much positioning and creating objects without your gui interface to insert them then put the code behind that.....
Peterssidan
People prefer different languages so you will just have to decide what's yours.

Personally I would never use any .NET/DirectX stuff because I want it to be free and run on Linux because that's what I use. but that's me.

All languages can be used to make games. But if you are not familiar with the language you are using there is greater chance that you make wrong design decisions and have to rewrite parts.
fladry
are you making 2d games or what? If you are making 2d games, you can use allegro. And, c++ is not that hard if you try it. You don't need to be an c++ expert to make games. You just need to learn the basic things.
milleja46
I think i am just gonna go with vb since that is my native language for programming, maybe once i get better at vb switch to java. Then to c++. I don't really know about python though. But still make your suggestions. Also if i were going to make a 3d game in vb.net what library would be best and is multi-platform and can be used in a linux enviorment if nesscary?
Nemesis234
if you are hoping to eventually end up coding in c++ wouldnt it just be easier to start there? i dont know what your skills are in each but it seems to me if your going to eventually want to learn c++ why not learn it now?

also have you considered using a game engine? something like unreal engine, its free and extremely powerfull, especially if this is your first game would prolly make the whole process much simpler/easier to understand. on the front page of the UDK i saw a game created in 7 days, it may not have been the best game around but seeing results that quick has gotta inspire confidence.
milleja46
I haven't decided on an game engine because i plan not to rely on others, i am gonna use vb.net for now, but i need some help on where to start if i am gonna use vb.net.....
[FuN]goku
Peterssidan wrote:
People prefer different languages so you will just have to decide what's yours.

Personally I would never use any .NET/DirectX stuff because I want it to be free and run on Linux because that's what I use. but that's me.

All languages can be used to make games. But if you are not familiar with the language you are using there is greater chance that you make wrong design decisions and have to rewrite parts.

Agreed, the language is mostly a preference. If by 'best' you mean performance-wise, probably C++ or C or something.

As for .NET, there IS MonoDevelop for linux/mac, so technically you can port it to different OS's and it could still be free. Just use something like SDL.NET as opposed to DirectX or XNA, and it would probably work better on linux.

Personally, I use C# with SDL.NET for when I code games, just because I love the syntax of C#
And it IS capable of doing 3D work. (You can actually use blender models with XNA quite easily if I recall correctly)

But it's whatever work's best for you. As much as I'd like to code a game in C/C++, I figure it's quite a bit of extra work (if working from scratch), so I just stick with C#. Is it the best for performance? Definitely not, but I enjoy working with it.
Peterssidan
[FuN]goku wrote:
As for .NET, there IS MonoDevelop for linux/mac, so technically you can port it to different OS's and it could still be free. Just use something like SDL.NET as opposed to DirectX or XNA, and it would probably work better on linux.
.NET in itself is not free software.
milleja46
I may just go with C# and use XNA, but i gotta figure out how to implement a definition file with tilestudio so i can export TS tiles to XNA.......
[FuN]goku
Peterssidan wrote:
[FuN]goku wrote:
As for .NET, there IS MonoDevelop for linux/mac, so technically you can port it to different OS's and it could still be free. Just use something like SDL.NET as opposed to DirectX or XNA, and it would probably work better on linux.
.NET in itself is not free software.
Free in what sense? As in open source free, or doesn't cost money free? Because to my knowledge .NET costs absolutely nothing to use.
Fire Boar
The term used was Free software, not Freeware, so Peterssidan is correct: .NET is not free software.
[FuN]goku
Yeah, so he's talking about open source free, as in, you have the right to make changes to code if you wish. I took it the other way as in you didn't have to pay for it.
tamilparks
C++ is very nice
gdn17
fladry wrote:
are you making 2d games or what? If you are making 2d games, you can use allegro. And, c++ is not that hard if you try it. You don't need to be an c++ expert to make games. You just need to learn the basic things.


In fact the only thing you need is the power of will to make/develop this project. You can have everything but if you don't have power of will then you can't go further
butcher
the decision I made with choosing C++ is only because of excluding all others. In my opinion JAVA isn't efective enough to make good games. It sucks , because of taking a LOT of memory and because of that it's very limited and slowing a program. Other languages I would say aren't purposed for making games and complicated programs either. Python is as I know environment for creating web services or some web based applications, not games which are mostly based on graphic card and calculating millions of matrix.
snowboardalliance
I would use c++ because I am most comfortable with it.

That being said, if I had the time, I would use this as an opportunity to learn something new (seeing as the question is "what would you use?"). I've been wanting to give C# a try because some of the Dev team at work use it and they love it. But I've also really wanted to learn Python so I think I might go with that over c#.

It's probably a good idea though to go with what you know unless you have the time to learn
Pengeszikra
I made game program under Flash. This is really coole development system with slow but useful languages - Action Script 3. That is really good objected oriented programming language. And flash objects give a large collection of graphics, video and sound functions.

With the flash IDE easy can create vector based graphics - the pressure sensitive drawing this system is ultimately best, special if you would like make many draws under short time. Also great for made animation.

Off cours i'm saying about small 2D game development. The 3D game making is total another area, where flash is don't good solution.
Fire Boar
Pengeszikra wrote:
I made game program under Flash. This is really coole development system with slow but useful languages - Action Script 3. That is really good objected oriented programming language. And flash objects give a large collection of graphics, video and sound functions.


I presume by this statement that you have never used a real programming language before. Otherwise I have to ask... really good compared with what?
milleja46
Well i'm going with c#, the games are gonna be 2d until i get good enough to make 3d stuff and convert everything. But may take awhile i have to retake geomatry online because of the stupid notechecks my teacher had. Since i labeled everything wrong most of the time. I'll be gathering info whenever i get a break from the online class and put it on site
pll
If you want a web based game Java can be really great but if you want a full screen size game, you better to go with C/C++ Cool
Pengeszikra
Quote:
I presume by this statement that you have never used a real programming language before. Otherwise I have to ask... really good compared with what?


I start programing with M08X Basic, and continue Z80 Assembler in a Videoton TV computer ( hungarian device - commodore 64 age ). After follow the 8086 assembler and Turbo Pascal.
After that i'm don't programming for a couple of years. So i'm miss the C, and C++.
But when Flash 3 comming out i start programming again. I'm also try few other languages like rebol and C#.

Now i use java for server side programming. And a Groovy a little bit.

I'm really don't have too much free time to use Unity3D for game developing, but also like them. That enviroment is great help for begginers 3D developer. And can be programmed by java or c#.
Pengeszikra
Anybody know some programming language that is can be real match with C++/C in speed? And have a little bit better syntax.

Example i hope Digital Mars language D is one of them. But so few information can be found of D programming http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/overview.html . Another example is GO programming language http://golang.org/.

This two langs is have better syntax than C++. But i don't found enough library for them to make game.
Peterssidan
Better syntax? I think what is better syntax is a matter of taste. C++0x (the next C++ standard) introduces some syntax changes as well as many other improvements.

If you like D has bindings for SDL http://svn.dsource.org/projects/derelict/trunk/docs/index.html
Pengeszikra
Peterssidan wrote:
Better syntax? I think what is better syntax is a matter of taste. C++0x (the next C++ standard) introduces some syntax changes as well as many other improvements.

If you like D has bindings for SDL http://svn.dsource.org/projects/derelict/trunk/docs/index.html


Thanks for the link, I missed them.

You right better syntax is only matter of taste. But meanwhile programming I very like fell this taste is good. Clear syntax is great help to keep code easy understandable. Off course the well documented code is also big help for a coding.
toasterintheoven
writing a game in flash is funner these days for developers, because actionscript 3 introduces more OOP concepts, it's become more popular, but debugging it is a pain
Pengeszikra
toasterintheoven wrote:
writing a game in flash is funner these days for developers, because actionscript 3 introduces more OOP concepts, it's become more popular, but debugging it is a pain


Yes you right, debugging is always hard.

I use following function in my codes:

Code:

package func {

   public function log(pFormat:*,...params){   
      // return // unremark to turn log off             
      if(pFormat is String){
         pFormat=String(pFormat).split(";;").join("\n")
         for(var l=params.length;l>=0;l--){
            pFormat=String(pFormat).split("%"+(l+1)).join(params[l])
         }             
      }
      trace(pFormat)
   }

}


usage this function:

import func.log

and after

simple

log("I look %1 and %2",aVar,bVar)

so aVar value replace %1 and bVar value replace %2
also use like

log("I look %2 and %1 repeat first %2",aVar,bVar)
this way.

i use this function in as2 too

Code:

function insert(s):String {
   s=s.split(";;").join(NL)
   for(var l=arguments.length-1;l>=1;l--)
      s=s.split("%"+l).join(arguments[l])
   return s
}

function log(){
      trace(insert.apply(null,arguments))
}
Pengeszikra
This two log function is good example between AS2 and AS3 cooding.
Pengeszikra
I try go language, and that is a good start. But actually i think capable only write game server side code.

Her is small multi thread go lang example. Can be tested at http://golang.org where you can found a playingfield (copy this code there)

Code:

package main

func main() {

  ch := make(chan int)
  finish := make(chan bool)

  // generator
  go func(){for i:=122;i<323;i+=3{ch <-i};finish <- true}()

  // receiver
  go func(){for{print(<-ch,"\n")}}()

  <-finish

  }



Made two chanel who is communicate each other

second is going endless loop.

main program is waiting for finish sign at code: <-finish
Related topics
Game making - anyone interested?
how did you learn about html, php or other languages???
Best Programming Language to Use
The Best Web Programming Language?
best programming editor
About pascal programming language
Survey on Programming Language
Can c++ still be kald a programming language?
Java, python, or c++?
Language to learn for beginner
Day 02 Preferred programming language?
To learn a programming language: Python
Good Cross Platform Programming Language
*** POLL *** The Best Programming Language?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Scripting -> Others

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.