FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FLAC support in Apple Ipods?

sunjay
Hi,

Friend of mine has got a Apple IPod Photo 60GB and he wans to know if it's possible in anyway to hack/modify/patch his IPod so that he can play FLAC files. Even better, play loads more files like m4p, ram, mpeg2 etc.

Cheers!
SunJay
gonzo
Nope. Why would someone interested in quality audio have purchased a shiny shiny ipod in the first place?

Have him get his money back and recommend he buy the Cowan X5 instead; it supports FLAC.
sunjay
Hey,

Thanks dude!

Cheers!
SunJay
technology.sponge
i dun think there hav been any mods for ipods made for flac 2 date (i've got 1 myself)

flac on an ipod a bit unecessary
the hardware itself isnt dat gud -lyk if u reeli want sound quality dat gud, u mite as well carry around a dektop wiv a creative sound card innit
2ndly, flac files r still massive - round 18megs a song. wiv that size, the ipod will fill its cache lyk every 10 mins nd the bat lyf will go down to lyk 3 hours

if your friend does want high qualit audio just try using aac 320kbps wiv vbr turned on..yeah its slightly lossy but unless ur using state of the art hardware, u won't reeli b able 2 tell the difference
bananaphone
technology.sponge wrote:

the hardware itself isnt dat gud

The refresh rate of an iPod's screen is about 500 milliseconds - way two slow for FLAC.
technology.sponge
what's the lcd screen ms reponse got to do with audio codecs?
igrowinggirl
This article will introduce a step by step guide on how to play FLAC on iPod in lossless or lossy way at http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-play-flac-on-ipod.html

This guide applies to:

Convert FLAC to Apple Lossless or AIFF to play lossless FLAC on iPod Touch, iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano, iPod Classic, iPod Mini, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad, iPad2, iTunes, Quicktime, iMovie, FCP, FCE.
Convert FLAC to MP3 to play FLAC on iPhone/iPad/iTunes/iPod/Quicktime/iMovie/FCP/FCE/Windows Media Player in lossy way.
Convert FLAC to other audio formats including lossy AC3, AU, M4A, MP2, OGG, RA, and WMA.
sysna
you have two options :
1. convert flac to another file type which ipod supports and has the minimum loss
2. buy another player, some creative players support flac very well and you can find popular ones to buy.
darthrevan
Yeah Apple doesn't like people to customize their product very much it seems. I hear with iPhones you have to connect to iTunes to even change the background or so(I don't know for sure, never owned one). I personally think that is stupid. I don't really want to buy Apple products, though I would like to build an Hackintosh but that would be it.
metalfreek
When it comes to Apple product, tweaking it is a big mess and in most of the case impossible. If ipod doesn't support FLAC than I don't think there is any other way to support it. Just convert FLAC to mp3. I know that quality will not be that great but you will get used to it.
Bkindness
FLAC is favored by many audiophiles who prefer the high quality of sound. However, this audio format can not be supported by any of the apple products like iPod, iTunes, iPad, iPhone.

I know a step by step guide on how to play FLAC on iPod in lossless or lossy way with the help of the powerful FLAC Converter Mac or Windows app here:
http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-play-flac-on-ipod.html

This guide applies to:

Convert FLAC to Apple Lossless or AIFF to play lossless FLAC on iPod Touch, iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano, iPod Classic, iPod Mini, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad, iPad2, iTunes, Quicktime, iMovie, FCP, FCE.
Convert FLAC to MP3 to play FLAC on iPhone/iPad/iTunes/iPod/Quicktime/iMovie/FCP/FCE/Windows Media Player in lossy way.
Convert FLAC to other audio formats including lossy AC3, AU, M4A, MP2, OGG, RA, and WMA.
sysna
Amazing no one said this method : convert FLAC to ALAC which is apple lossless audio codec and then play it in your iPod (first ensure that your iPod supports it, you may need to upgrade your firmware). Even some car headunits are only capable of playing ALAC instead of FLAC.