FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A better alternative to The Gimp?

welshsteve
I really do not get on with the Gimp at all. The interface is messy, and some of the tools, such as the rectangle select just do not work very well, and don't work as they do in other programs I am used to using such as Photoshop and Paint.NET.

Does anybody know of an alternative to the GIMP on Ubuntu 9? I came across Paint-Mono, but that doesn't appear to work for my version of Ubuntu.
AftershockVibe
Have you tried Inkscape? It's a lovely program, and although designed for drawing vector graphics (as opposed to photo manipulation) it may well do what you want it too.

For other alternatives, you can of course check through the section on http://fossfor.us/
welshsteve
Thanks. I'll take a look and see how I get on. As an alternative also, I'm now going to try and install pain.net in wine and see if that works. Don't know if it will or now, but it's worth a try I guess. I might need to upgrade my version of Ubuntu to the new version 10
r4inm4ker
You may try Cinepaint (http://www.cinepaint.org/) . it support 8 bit, 16 bit, and 32 bit HDR images, and actually it came off from professional vfx developer who really needed the alternative of photoshop at linux platform.
weableandbob
As far as I know, Paint.NET is the best free image editor besides Gimp.
ganjour
Adobe Photoshop Laughing
Take down Linux to hell! Windows forever!
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
welshsteve
Paint.NET isn't available for Linux, and it also requires the .NET framework to work Sad I'm sticking to Windows and Paint.NET or Photoshop. Paint.NET for quick stuff (it loads a lot faster than photoshop), and photoshop for longer sessions, layering images etc.
LostOverThere
From what I understand, however, Paint.NET works fine under Linux through Wine. Although I believe there's a Paint.Net equivalent being produced via Mono instead.
Starrfoxx
How about Deluxe Paint for the Commodore Amiga? It lets you work with a maximum of 16 colors! Laughing
ocalhoun
welshsteve wrote:
such as the rectangle select just do not work very well,

Odd, I never had any problems with that tool, and only a small number of problems with the program at all. (Not bad for a highly complex, yet free program.)
Quote:
and don't work as they do in other programs

That seems to be more the problem.
The best solution would be to simply learn how to use the gimp, else you'll have to stick with imitations or emulations of the programs you're used to. (Or simply go back to windows if you're not willing to give the effort to learn new things.)
achowles
Sumo Paint
A highly impressive browser based paint application.

Photoshop.com
Browser based photo editing and album managing online, free from Adobe.

Paint.net
Supports many pro paint package features and is a worthy alternative to GIMP.

Open Canvas
The last free version of Open Canvas.

Art Weaver
Paint program with natural media brushes for that traditional look.

Inkscape
Free vector art package. Excellent drawing tools.

PhotoPlus
Photo editing software from Serif.

DrawPlus
Drawing and vector graphics software from Serif.

Srapbook
Image manipulator from Serif.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
The best solution would be to simply learn how to use the gimp, else you'll have to stick with imitations or emulations of the programs you're used to. (Or simply go back to windows if you're not willing to give the effort to learn new things.)
Agreed. And Gimp has loads of tutorials for learning:
http://classic.gimp.org/docs.html

I used to use a light version of Photoshop for a long while, and found Gimp perfect to work with, I really like the software.
alvarorojas4
I recommend Paint.NET ..
is really Fast and complete, I love it ^^
wombatrpgs
welshsteve wrote:
I really do not get on with the Gimp at all. The interface is messy, and some of the tools, such as the rectangle select just do not work very well, and don't work as they do in other programs I am used to using such as Photoshop and Paint.NET.

Does anybody know of an alternative to the GIMP on Ubuntu 9? I came across Paint-Mono, but that doesn't appear to work for my version of Ubuntu.

Hm, didn't you just list the alternatives? Or don't those work on Ubuntu...? Ah, I'm too incompetent with the OS to know. But a lot of this depends on what you want to use your image manipulation program for. If you're like me and do mostly spriting and the like, then Graphics Gale is pretty good.