FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Free professional video editing software?

milleja46
I am trying to find a good alternative to after effects, but no avail. Can someone help me? It needs to have multi-track editing, lots of effects, count up/down timer(since i will use it for church somewhat), and be able to be supported easily...thanks for any help in advance!
Radar
For *free*? I don't think anything realistically exists out there for free. I mean, best of luck to you in searching for it, but I don't believe it exists.

As a paid alternative, I would recommend Final Cut.

Also, it seems like you may be trying to get several programs in one. The countdown timer may not be part of the same piece of software that you use for video editing.
escritor
Check out this list of free video editing programs by Gizmo's Freeware Reviews: Best Free Video Editor. They try to mention only the best available software.
milleja46
But doesn't aftereffects do what i'm asking? Isn't there a free alternate to that?
AftershockVibe
There are a selection of programs here. Combining them will likely give superior results as they excel at different tasks:
http://fossfor.us/ (Click the video editing link at the bottom)

Unfortunately, the one I was going to recommend, Cinerella is Linux-only so you'll have to stick it on your Ubuntu (/whatever) partition if you have one. It's a bit like Adobe Premier, if you've ever used that, so has nice tracking for chopping and splicing the video itself. Others will probably suffice though.

Effects can be added easily with VirtuaDub.
milleja46
I think i might use cinerella, but i can't figure out how to install it everything i try and find comes out with errors, no matter how much i try. I am in Ubuntu 9.1
chartcentral
Don't really know a lot into this stuff, but on Professional Video Editing Software, you might want to checkout EditShare's Lightworks. And it says their product is to go open source, thus it's free (link).
milleja46
Thanks for that link, can't wait to try it once it goes free! That application shouldn't be too hard to learn.....
Ghost Rider103
Do you need this for long term or short term purposes?

If it's just like a one time thing, then just download the new After Effects CS5 free trial and use it for what you need. It's for 30 days I believe.

If it's for long term, well then you may need to keep searching for something free. I'd recommend one if I knew of one, but I only have and use After Effects.
milleja46
Well i might use it for long term, because i want to make countdowns, and backgrounds for my church, and if i had better development of the game i'm making i would make a video about it.....but right now my site's look is more important because i am having troubles with making it buddypress compatible. But i need the software, i'm just gonna wait till lightworks goes free, unless someone suggests something better....
r4inm4ker
yeah I heard that the Lightworks mentioned above is a formerly professional solution for video editing, but set to be made as open source in the short time. So my advise would be wait for it, because it seems to be a stable and pretty capable tool.
milleja46
It's weird it hasn't gone opensource yet.......
LostOverThere
Quote:
It's weird it hasn't gone opensource yet.......

It's been announced Lightworks will become Open Source and Linux compatible. When that happens however, is hard to say.
milleja46
It was said around this time, but all i've recieved email wise, is the same email technically, telling me almost the exact same thing, "We are going opensource soon, and we are hoping to add linux support too."
milleja46
Well i just got news that by the end of this month Lightworks will be opensource on windows at least then they will port to other operating systems later
FunDa
Its been a long long wait.

I would love to have a good Video editing software. Now that it is really becoming open-source, I hope we can get user created video effects and transitions as extensions.
tamilparks
you can try ULEAD software
milleja46
well there was something good out though had a somewhat complicated gui, which was Jahshaka(now cinefx, and looking dead since last post on site was from 2008 and can't register for the new site either), and it could do some of the things lightworks is planning on being able to do. I'm getting tired of waiting since i partially need a good video editor for school, and i'm sick of windows movie maker and products that just don't seem to hold a good level with other software out there.
jwellsy
I like the way Adobe Premier auto fits in precanned music into the timeline. It's not fre buut you can get a Premier Elements Edition that is very reasonable. They even bundle CS5 Premier Elements and Photoshop Elements together for way under $100.

A lot of people swear by Sony Vegas for about $40. It will even do chromakey green screen stuff.
milleja46
Uhh....no, i'll wait for lightworks. Lightworks is probably my best bet when it comes out since is was used for alot of famous movies(including braveheart for those who didn't know). It can't be that bad if it's used for movies like that. But i've got to wait until the 29th to get it of november. And no one can ever convince to ever use Movie maker UNLESS it's a last resort!!!!!! But yet again i find a software that makes it look free but it's really not...(and i mean avs video editor they don't show price until you've installed and go to run it for the first time....)
recked
I don't think you'll be able to get something "free" and "professional" lol
milleja46
Well there is lightworks(which is professional and going free) and vlmc(vlc's video editor that is supposed to be really good once they get it coded fully)...i'm just getting tired of waiting i've been waiting on lightworks since someone told me about it....
FunDa
recked wrote:

It is very much possible. Linux is a free and professional OS. Firefox is free and professional.
Video editing is just another aspect of computing.
Alerrandre
windows movie make is a nice one.

Bye
milleja46
No it is not, it may be good for simple things, but other than that it is horrible. Lightworks(formerly professional, now open source) is finally out. When christmas(or if this lady that works with my mom still has this laptop she doesn't need anymore i'll be able to install it, i installed on computer that i have right now, and found it to be very good, though my computer cut off during the use since it really doesn't like to hold a charge. I'd recommend lightworks to anyone who wants something more than movie maker
FunDa
Alerrandre wrote:
windows movie make is a nice one.

Bye

It is a free bundled one, but not really nice.

It has trouble when syncing audio and video and forces you to use WMV format.
Also crashes without warning if you add multiple clips (even small clips)
I got past this obstacle on a last-minute video mashup by combining a few clips (4-5) and then exporting it out.

Then again making a fresh output adding the next 5 clips over and over till i got the photo video mashup.

I have used it quite a bit but that was because there was no other option.

Whenever I got a chance, I used my friend's video editor which came with the capture card.

No format restrictions, everything worked well.
loyal
recked wrote:

Exactly. Isn't it an oxymoron lol?

Peace.
milleja46
recked wrote:
I don't think you'll be able to get something "free" and "professional" lol.

not when it comes to lightworks. It IS professional, and is now FREE.
funda wrote:

It is a free bundled one, but not really nice.
It has trouble when syncing audio and video and forces you to use WMV format.
Also crashes without warning if you add multiple clips (even small clips)
I got past this obstacle on a last-minute video mashup by combining a few clips (4-5) and then exporting it out.
Then again making a fresh output adding the next 5 clips over and over till i got the photo video mashup.
I have used it quite a bit but that was because there was no other option.
Whenever I got a chance, I used my friend's video editor which came with the capture card.
No format restrictions, everything worked well.

so true. exactly why i hate wmm, so many restrictions, doesn't work that well, crashes alot, and format restrictions suck. when using a video editor you shouldn't have to convert to this or that format just to use it, that is just plain stupid. Plus the effects you are limited to sucks, because you can't make a amazing video in it with the simple stuff they provide, and don't allow for much changes to be made to it
milleja46
Well lightworks is great so far, i'd recommend it. The only problem is it takes a while to get used to, but you can change the keyboard stuff to match other popular video editors
FunDa
milleja46 wrote:
Well lightworks is great so far, i'd recommend it. The only problem is it takes a while to get used to, but you can change the keyboard stuff to match other popular video editors

The keyboard thing will not be a problem for me coz I never got used to the Windows Movie Maker's weird settings. I hope Lightworks will be the one video editing software that I will need.

Cool Big thanks to lightworks for going free.
milleja46
I know right? with the fact that i'll be able to use for school, and personal reasons as well it has to be one of the best video editors once i get hang of it...i've also started a list on their site if anyone wants to either check it out or help add to it, of effects around the web that should, unless by some weird error, work with lightworks.

Link to the topic: http://lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=155&Itemid=202

If you do try to add, try and make them free because i want to test them without pay money(trust me there are alot of effects that are offered for free), if they are paid you must test yourself, then tell me if it works properly. Make sure the plugin for the effect is not a cracked effect i cannot add a link to a cracked effect to the list one i added recently got removed because of that fact, but i would enjoy the help from anyone if you can help.

Maybe soon i can start making my own professional videos once i get the chance to start and find the right graphics that i would need.

Later