FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Touring some local War Memorials

wellerchap
My friend and I have ridden round the Leeds (Norhern England) War Memorials over our last couple of days off.
We've photographed all 58 of them, and reading the names engraved into them has been very moving. It's amazing hown many surnames appear more than once together in the lists...doubtless brothers, fathers & sons or uncles & nephews from the same family.
One can only wonder about the emotional devastation caused in these villages, upon losing so many of their young men.
Most plaques are WW1 and WW2, but there's one for a young guy killed in Iraq a couple of years ago, which brings it all right up to date, and makes it all feel very real.
Touching stuff, indeed. Sad
Thorner Church memorial

Kippax Memorial Gardens

Rothwell Memorial Garden
deanhills
Lovely photos. First off, it looks like the equivalent of Herbie and a new friend, do the scooters have names or am I the only one crazy enough to give machines names? The second photo is my favourite. The lay out is amazing. The church in the first photo reminds me of one I saw in Guernsey's St. Peter Port. Smile
wellerchap
I'd never be immature enough to give Stripey George a name

D'OH !! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

The churches are great looking buildings, and while typical of lots of English village churches, they are actually Norman-built, from Normandy in Northern france.....great buildings indeed.