FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Broadband modem crash

t0d
Any of you Brits out there. I have a BT Voyager 150 modem and every so often when I'm listening to music and surfing the web and chatting n stuff, my computer gives the reknowned BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH.

The error reporting thingy says it's me modem giving me troubles. Any ideas of a cure? I have the latest drivers already and use a Mcafee firewall, but it's working fine.
king007
do yrself and your pc a fav throu out the modem and get a router, i have a dlink 604gt and its the best 50quid ever spend.
Simulator
Well, 99.9% of the time it is something to do with your firewall, get yourself Zone Alarm and uninstall Mc, then set the settings of ZA to Medium on both types
otiscom
Try turning off firewall and try again without it.
If your trouble goes then get a different firewall.
t0d
Thank you very much people!
sibbahz
If this is one of them USB modems id reccomend a replacement one supporting ethernet. If it also accepts ethernet, connect using this instead of the USB cable as i had nothing but trouble with USB cable modems and ADSL is most likely similar with USB.
SoftStag
USB ADSL modems are notoriously bad for crashing systems. The problem is down to the amount of power they draw from the PC. Most ADSL modems draw their power from the USB socket. They require 500mA to function correctly, this is the limit the PC can supply to ALL USB devices simultaneously. Because the current draw is so high, if more power is required, then the PC tries to deliver it, but the chipset cannot do so, and as a result the PC hangs, reboots or blue screens. Sad

There is a way round this though. The secret is to use a POWERED USB hub, and plug the modem in to that. This way the hub is supplying the power to the modem, not the PC. Powered hubs are usually able to provide more power than the PC can, so the modem works correctly, and the power drain is not there on the PC, so it does not crash! Very Happy

Incidentally this appears to happen more often on systems with VIA chipsets.
drpiga
I have USB modem and no problem in everyday work...
Don't know,maybe it is true that SoftStag say,but for me no problem at all
Try to screenshot a blue death screen to know excatly what is error and post here that
Maybe some drivers get caused errors...
SoftStag
drpiga wrote:
I have USB modem and no problem in everyday work...
Don't know,maybe it is true that SoftStag say,but for me no problem at all
Try to screenshot a blue death screen to know excatly what is error and post here that
Maybe some drivers get caused errors...

Many modems do work fine. Some (especially the free ones that come from your ISP) do not always work well with some chipsets. I am not saying this is a problem for everyone, far from it. It is quite common though.
computersteve
Very likely it will be your Software (windows) but whatever you do dont turn off your firewall.

Try reinstalling windows, format your hard drive and start again, is one way. Keep your windows updated using windows update, run a anti virus and firewall (AVG and Kerio are good and free)

Also keep your drivers upto date, drivers for your motherboard and modem. Many driver dont work with every windows setup and your own programs which can give you blue sreens. More time you spend setting up windows and keeping it updated longer it will last. Most tech's reformat once a month.

Dont forget to backup first before formating.

Hope this helps.