FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Favorite Youtube Downloader

jwellsy
Downloading YT videos is OK per their user agreements and there are a bunch of free YT video downloaders available. Has anyone had a good experience with any of these? I could use Camtasia ( which I already have) and record that part of the desktop as they play. It seems like there must be a simpler more elegant method.
william
There are plenty of good downloaders out there. There are some sites like Vixy that work, albeit slowly since they seem to have a lot of demand on their servers. Normally though, I just use Real Player. Not the best, but it'll get you the FLVs you need and integrates well with Firefox and Internet Explorer (brings up a download button when you hover over the video).
fladry
There is a "get youtube video" button in my firefox that just downloads youtube videos. If you are using mozilla, click the link below and drag it to the area under address bar and release. then, go to the youtube page of the video you want to download and click the button. That should work.

oops can't get it work here. But, you can create a html file, put
Code:
<a href="#">Download Youtube video</a>
there and replace the # with the code below.
Code:

javascript:(function(){if(document.getElementById('download-youtube-video'))return;var%20args=null,video_title=null,video_id=null,video_hash=null;var%20download_code=new%20Array();var%20fmt_labels={'18':'standard%20MP4','22':'HD%20720p','37':'HD%201080p'};try{args=yt.getConfig('SWF_ARGS');video_title=yt.getConfig('VIDEO_TITLE')}catch(e){}if(args){var%20fmt_url_map=unescape(args['fmt_url_map']);if(fmt_url_map=='')return;video_id=args['video_id'];video_hash=args['t'];video_title=video_title.replace(/[%22\'\?\\\/\:\*%3C%3E]/g,'');var%20fmt=new%20Array();var%20formats=fmt_url_map.split(',');var%20format;for(var%20i=0;i%3Cformats.length;i++){var%20format_elems=formats[i].split('|');fmt[format_elems[0]]=unescape(format_elems[1])}for(format%20in%20fmt_labels){if(fmt[format]!=null){download_code.push('%3Ca%20href=\''+(fmt[format]+'&title='+video_title)+'\'%3E'+fmt_labels[format]+'%3C/a%3E')}else%20if(format=='18'){download_code.push('%3Ca%20href=\'http://www.youtube.com/get_video?fmt=18&video_id='+video_id+'&t='+video_hash+'\'%3E'+fmt_labels[format]+'%3C/a%3E')}}}if(video_id==null||video_hash==null)return;var%20div_embed=document.getElementById('watch-embed-div');if(div_embed){var%20div_download=document.createElement('div');div_download.innerHTML='%3Cbr%20/%3E%3Cspan%20id=\'download-youtube-video\'%3EDownload:%20'+download_code.join('%20|%20')+'%3C/span%3E';div_embed.appendChild(div_download)}})();void(0)

Than, open the html page, click the link and drag it... Wink
escritor
For me, a "simpler, more elegant method" is not installing any software. Try out the web service I use to download Youtube videos: Dirpy Studio. It lets you choose some settings and save the content of a video as .mp3, .flv, or .mp4.
nivinjoy
For downloading Youtube videos i just don't use any softwares..!!

What i do is i have added an addon to Mozilla Firefox which makes the download of Youtube videos easier than anything else..!!

You can get this addon from the link given below..

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13990

And then to extract & download MP3's from Youtube videos i use a site called www.vidtomp3.com . What you need to do is that you just paste the link of the Youtube video into the space given at the site and just click Download..It will convert your videos into MP3 and give you..

This is what i do..!! Pretty easier than going for a third party software.It all happens within the browser and while browsing itself..!!