FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Photoshop CS5

lethaltriad
Anyone tried it yet? I skipped out on CS4 so i jumped from CS3 to CS5 and i'm really loving the change right now. The content aware is pretty cool for simple images but it will add weird stuff to more complex images but its pretty useful once you know how to use it.

Main thing though for me is with the work flow and hdr integration, its the small adjustments that makes such a huge difference and still testing a lot of it out. Love the dodge/burn option to preserve skin tones which i knew was a feature in cs4. And using the clone tool you can know see an overlayed preview in the brush tip of what is going to be pasted on that section. Will post more findings but please discuss your likes and dislikes.
Ghost Rider103
I too skipped out on CS4. I figure they come out with new versions so often, I'll wait for CS5. I always upgrade my master collection when I get the chance.

I haven't gotten the chance to upgrade my CS3 to CS5 yet, but I will be doing so shortly. Some of the new tools and options look like they are going to be extremely useful for me. I watched the videos on the new CS5 on Adobe's website.

Will let you guys know my personal cons and pros when I get the chance to check it out.
r4inm4ker
Haven't tried it either. Hate the bloated installation of CS package, so unless it's absolutely needed, i'll just stick to CS3 for now...
Radar
Mmm, want to. Fairly soon I'm going to have to buy my own copy of Photoshop, rather than using the version of CS4 that I currently possess, as given to me by the company I work for.

I don't really feel the urge to upgrade to the latest CS though, so as long as it's supported by the operating system I'm on, I think that could suit me for a number of years.
pll
We're having CS3 at school and it does a great job. I had sometime to try a little bit of Creative Suite 5 it's nice but it didn't impress me. But we'll get it as soon as next year in my school!! Cool
dude_xyx
I use CS4 and have no hurry to upgrade to CS5. Adobe releasing new versions way too often. Don't even have huge differences between these versions, most of the time.
todabeat
i got CS4 good stuff,
from the video previews i've seen for CS5. looks very good... worth it
supernova1987a
I use an older version. No money for new one. I did once use CS5. Its pretty powerful. There are also many little things that really matter that are added to CS5. If you are a photographer, Cs5 is a must.
guissmo
Anyone who'd like to list specific differences with CS4 or CS3? So that we may know what to expect if we decide to purchase it?
BlueDeath
I don't tried it yet, but I tried CS4.
Cliffer
PS update too fast
adri
I'm still with creative suite 3 for photoshop. I'm not really keen to update every time they release a new version, although I do download the trials every time. :p

Adri
lightwate
i haven't tried it yet but the smart content aware tool looks very, very useful. I can't wait to have my copy of cs5 Very Happy
ajitha999
'm still with creative suite 3 for photoshop. I'm not really keen to update every time they release a new version, although I do download the trials every time. :p
Embarassed Embarassed Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing
kemal44
very nice and fun to gloat a program to bring what has become of my paintings Painting pictures
ankur209
I too had downloaded CS5 and is loving the change...!! actually finding it more flexible and powerful...1! Cool
catscratches
lightwate wrote:
i haven't tried it yet but the smart content aware tool looks very, very useful. I can't wait to have my copy of cs5 Very Happy
Pfft. GIMP's already had that for years.
LostOverThere
Yeah, bought Creative Suite 5 Production a couple of weeks back. It's my first Creative Suite purchase.

What can I say, Photoshop CS5 is fantastic. Although beforehand, I was using Photoshop Elements 3, so I guess I'm easily pleased. Wink
Radar
Having tried it now, I do feel like I keep having to adjust to how the latest version of Photoshop works. I think I was happiest with some of the manipulation features of Elements 2, really. The newer versions are fine, but I feel like direct interaction with the objects has been slightly lost.
Flakky
In yor first post it wasn't very clear if you meant Content Aware Fill or Content Aware Scaling?
Both are great features and it would be a waste if you only knew one of them Wink
mukesh
Currently i am using CS2 i have no other version and i donot try to download a new version of photoshop. So i have no more idea about CS 4 and CS5 Very Happy

Cs2 i am using about 2 years and more time i like4 it to much no required other version Very Happy
celebi269
My first photoshop software is CS2.
Then I tried CS3 to CS5.

I tried them all because I want to see the progress and changes Adobe made on the Photoshop franchise.
Huntress
is it true that CS5 is easier and user friendly compared to the old ones?
gverutes
I've heard it's better than 3 and 4. 3 was the absolute worst.
It has a new clone stamp tool that is really useful for filling in no data.
drunkenkoz
I find photoshop cs4 to be a lot better than cs5 in many aspects.
celebi269
drunkenkoz wrote:
I find photoshop cs4 to be a lot better than cs5 in many aspects.

Why did you say so? For me, CS5 is definitely a big step from CS4.
sentimentvcf
I like a lot of graphic design, so I use Photoshop a lot. Basically I use it to create images, retouch images, and many other things. I must say that in this new version a lot has changed. It may not have changed many things, but I skipped that photoshop CS3 and CS4. Of CS2, I went straight to CS5 and this new version is fine.
kmontano
Photoshop CS5 is great! I've used CS3 and CS4 and they just don't compare.
Robert_Redbeard
I cerrently Use Photo Shop CS5 and After Effects CS4. I like them both and I like the Bridge Program. I haven't gotten used to all the tools yet. But I love it. I use it mostly for my web graphics and for You Tube.

I'm not a big software geek or anything. And for what I do it's prolly more like bringing a howitzer to a gun fight. But it works very nicely for me. I have also done some research on techniques and found that there really are some amazing things I can learn to do with both of the software packages.
Alaskacameradude
Content aware fill alone is worth the upgrade price in my opinion. Just sweet.
Now I can take out that pesky person who walked into my sweet looking landscape
shot and have it look totally like they were never there.
Chellesei
I'm using Photoshop CS5.1 and I really like it. Very Happy I haven't tried CS4 but I installed CS3 before on my laptop. And I like CS5.1 better. Smile
wellerchap
Has anyone upgraded from CS3 to CS5, and if so, does Adobe charge the full price, as if buying CS5 from scratch, or do they charge a lot less & just give you the new bits?
The price really puts me off....though I admit, CS3 has been my most used programme.
Chellesei
wellerchap wrote:
Has anyone upgraded from CS3 to CS5, and if so, does Adobe charge the full price, as if buying CS5 from scratch, or do they charge a lot less & just give you the new bits?
The price really puts me off....though I admit, CS3 has been my most used programme.

I visited the website of Adobe and take a look at the costs of upgrades and full versions.
If you have Adobe Photoshop CS4, CS3, or CS2 and would like to upgrade to CS5, then you'll pay for 199 US dollars.
If you have Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended or CS3 Extended and would like to upgrade to CS5 Extended, then you'll pay for 399 US dollars.
Same price ($399) if you have the non-'Extended'-version (I don't know what to call them Confused ) of CS3 and would like to upgrade to CS5 Extended. Smile

The original price for the full version of Photoshop CS5 is 699 US dollars. It's $500 less! Laughing
While the original price for the full version of Photoshop CS5 Extended is 999 US dollars. $600 less! Shocked

That's a big difference of prices. Very Happy So, I suggest going for the upgrade version. Here's what will happen when you run the installation of CS5 (from Adobe website):

When you install your upgrade, the installer will attempt to detect a previous version of the product on the same computer. You may still need to enter the serial number for the previous product. If a previous product is not detected, you will be prompted to manually enter the previous product serial number during the upgrade.
kenxeiko
Actually i'm not really pro at using Photoshop CS5, only prefer to 3D Modelling (using Cinema 4D) Embarassed
wellerchap
Chellesei wrote:
wellerchap wrote:

I visited the website of Adobe and take a look at the costs of upgrades and full versions.
If you have Adobe Photoshop CS4, CS3, or CS2 and would like to upgrade to CS5, then you'll pay for 199 US dollars.
If you have Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended or CS3 Extended and would like to upgrade to CS5 Extended, then you'll pay for 399 US dollars.
Same price ($399) if you have the non-'Extended'-version (I don't know what to call them Confused ) of CS3 and would like to upgrade to CS5 Extended. Smile

The original price for the full version of Photoshop CS5 is 699 US dollars. It's $500 less! Laughing
While the original price for the full version of Photoshop CS5 Extended is 999 US dollars. $600 less! Shocked

That's a big difference of prices. Very Happy So, I suggest going for the upgrade version. Here's what will happen when you run the installation of CS5 (from Adobe website):

When you install your upgrade, the installer will attempt to detect a previous version of the product on the same computer. You may still need to enter the serial number for the previous product. If a previous product is not detected, you will be prompted to manually enter the previous product serial number during the upgrade.

Thanks for that information - I don't think I can stretch to that sort of money yet, when I consider the additions it will bring....ahh well, have to stick with cs3 for a while.
LostOverThere
wellerchap wrote:
Thanks for that information - I don't think I can stretch to that sort of money yet, when I consider the additions it will bring....ahh well, have to stick with cs3 for a while.

I've never actually upgraded (although my first buy was CS5), but I've always wondered how often people upgrade. I'd be interested in knowing, when you upgrade, how disorientating the upgrade is!
wellerchap
well, a friend of mine installed more RAM on my computer & I got CS5....and it runs fine....there's very little cosmetic difference & all the favourite bits and bobs are there....but they removed the "Extract" filter, which I really liked in CS3, in favour of a seemingly more convoluted process of refining edges to create sharp cut-outs.
So far though, so good.
LostOverThere
wellerchap wrote:
well, a friend of mine installed more RAM on my computer & I got CS5....and it runs fine....there's very little cosmetic difference & all the favourite bits and bobs are there....but they removed the "Extract" filter, which I really liked in CS3, in favour of a seemingly more convoluted process of refining edges to create sharp cut-outs.
So far though, so good.

Yeah, that's always what I'm afraid of happening when I upgrade my software - getting disorientated because something's been moved. Oh well.
kmontano
CS6 is looking pretty awesome. Can't wait for it come out this summer!
Gregoric
Anyone knows or could provide some links to information about what is the difference between the CS5 and CS5.5 versions? Or only the Suite has changed its content leaving Photoshop itself the same? I'd also like to know if price of upgrading from CS5 version to CS6 is the same as is of upgrade from CS5.5.

I am searching for these situations because I can find some bargains for the Photoshop CS5 and then upgrade to 6th - overall it could cost less than buying new PS 13.

Thanks & regards,
Greg
AlexandruEvans
lethaltriad wrote:
Anyone tried it yet? I skipped out on CS4 so i jumped from CS3 to CS5 and i'm really loving the change right now. The content aware is pretty cool for simple images but it will add weird stuff to more complex images but its pretty useful once you know how to use it.

Main thing though for me is with the work flow and hdr integration, its the small adjustments that makes such a huge difference and still testing a lot of it out. Love the dodge/burn option to preserve skin tones which i knew was a feature in cs4. And using the clone tool you can know see an overlayed preview in the brush tip of what is going to be pasted on that section. Will post more findings but please discuss your likes and dislikes.

I have photoshop CS6 now . I love photo editing . I'm good at this . Very Happy Very Happy
playfungames
AlexandruEvans wrote:
I have photoshop CS6 now . I love photo editing . I'm good at this . Very Happy Very Happy

I am still stuck in Photoshop CS5. What are the new features in CS6 that makes it worth buying it?
milkshake01
I find CS3 easier to use than CS4 and CS5. I have not heard of CS6 yet.
wellerchap
It seems crazy to me tha people want to upgrade with every version.....surely we only need to think back 10 years & consider what we used to use to edit, then we would all be very happy to keep on using CS3, 5 or whatever?
kmr_mukund
i have not used cs3 and cs4.i only used cs5 and i like it. my friend use cs3 and cs4. i have seen that there are many features which is present in cs5 is not in cs3 and cs4.after that i suggest every one to use cs5 photoshop.
zaxacongrejo
They are almost all the same but with some new tools and ability’s
Recording and playing actions I believe is one of the new ones
Also the more developed 3D
codegeek
I love content-aware fill and puppet warp. Using the content-aware fill, I have done in seconds what would have taken hours of cloning on previous versions.

Say you wanted to arch someone's hand a little more in a photograph, or tilt their head a little less. This would require an extraordinary level of skill and work on previous versions of Photoshop.

But now, anyone can just use the superior selection technology and make very accurate selections to extract the subject out of the photo. Then, the next step is to fill up the hole left behind using content aware fill.

Now, using carefully placed pins in the puppet warp, the goal of arching the hand and tilting the head can be achieved in less than 10 minutes. It's just absolutely amazing technology.
ibraltan1
I found a review of Photoshop CS6 that would be helpful for interested people.
Photoshop CS6 is a major upgrade that will appeal to many kinds of users. Montage artists and retouchers will appreciate the new Blur and Liquify filters, the HUD controls and the ability to sort layers by type; designers will value the new text and Shape tools; and anyone with a recent digital camera will find the movie editing functionality a major bonus. Those who fork out for the Extended edition will find 3D object creation is easier than ever, and the new ability to match the 3D perspective with the perspective of a photographed scene means 3D objects can be seamlessly integrated into your artwork. But what really marks out this version is the time-saving nature of the enhancements, which means it should pay for itself in a very short time. Everything feels slicker, smoother and more sure; the fact that so many filters now act in real time means there's no waiting for the computer to catch up with your actions. It's definitely a recommended upgrade. Uppers: Head-Up Display adjustments , GPU-accelerated graphics performance any interface enhancements , Excellent text and shape improvements. Downers: Fast graphics card is essential, Meretricious oil paint filter, Older filters still not updated. Variable Content-Aware Patch results
http://www.creativebloq.com/photo-editing/adobe-photoshop-cs6-review-1233260
Pande
They still haven't rethought their save dialogues, which is the reason I hate to do new work in photoshop, but everything else is good. Still, relative to it's feature set, it's waaaay overpriced and I wouldn't use it if it didn't come as part of a package of apps from university.
mukesh
Cliffer wrote:
PS update too fast

not only ps Adoble product about all update too fast
mukesh
kmr_mukund wrote:
i have not used cs3 and cs4.i only used cs5 and i like it. my friend use cs3 and cs4. i have seen that there are many features which is present in cs5 is not in cs3 and cs4.after that i suggest every one to use cs5 photoshop.

Yes currently working in PS5 and ps5 really working well. But in large file photoshop use processor and ram too much Sad
ibraltan1
Interesting change of name: It is said that Adobe is switching versioning nomenclature and will now be using CC instead of CS. Therefore, for example, the next version of Photoshop will be Photoshop CC, not Photoshop CS6.
Quote:

The “CC” stands for Creative Cloud, Adobe’s new paradigm for delivering and upgrading software that enables for creativity, collaboration, and a sense of community among like-minded professionals across the creative industries.
The rebranding isn’t just a change in name only, however. Adobe is shifting everything about its business, from how it collects software fees and licenses its products to how often its features get updated within the various apps.
There are a lot of big changes coming, but for Adobe to continue to maintain its dominant position in the evolving world of design, those changes are necessary.“The writing is on the wall for where Adobe is headed, but people are surprised we’re going all in as soon as we are,” Adobe marketing director Scott Morris told VentureBeat in a conversation.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/06/adobe-versioning/#fPMws3uYhrYvOwBK.99
Smile
diarte
ibraltan1 wrote:
Interesting change of name: It is said that Adobe is switching versioning nomenclature and will now be using CC instead of CS. Therefore, for example, the next version of Photoshop will be Photoshop CC, not Photoshop CS6.
Quote:

The “CC” stands for Creative Cloud, Adobe’s new paradigm for delivering and upgrading software that enables for creativity, collaboration, and a sense of community among like-minded professionals across the creative industries.
The rebranding isn’t just a change in name only, however. Adobe is shifting everything about its business, from how it collects software fees and licenses its products to how often its features get updated within the various apps.
There are a lot of big changes coming, but for Adobe to continue to maintain its dominant position in the evolving world of design, those changes are necessary.“The writing is on the wall for where Adobe is headed, but people are surprised we’re going all in as soon as we are,” Adobe marketing director Scott Morris told VentureBeat in a conversation.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/06/adobe-versioning/#fPMws3uYhrYvOwBK.99
Smile

Hello, imho Adobe is using a strategy that not allow use of thirdy party software to skip his product licence (crack) and with creative cloud, they are gathering all "our" files to "theyr" cloud. I don't like the idea to store files where somedays can be asked a tip, or an improved tip just for using a database with a couple of additional services imposed by Adobe. Thats my point.
ibraltan1
Adobe continues to develop its products and services. Adobe CC updates almost all of the individual products from CS6 - including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign/In Copy, Dreamweaver, Flash Pro, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, Prelude, Speed Grade, and Story. In addition, Adobe Muse and the Edge family of tools are now also branded with the ""CC"" name. Although the CS6 versions of Fireworks and Encore continue to be available within Creative Cloud, they are not changed to CC. Acrobat XI Pro and Flash Builder 4.7 are also enclosed but remain the identical editions as in the previous case. Adobe CC is sold by subscription principle starting $9.99 a month, which confines of rights for coming upgrades in an automatic manner at no extra cost. The standard Creative Cloud affiliation comprises entire access to all of the program and services for one charge. In an alternative way, fixed versions of 2012's CS6 tools and suites are still available for bought purchase for the people who want normal licensing. For some people, the second choice could be more attractive.
ibraltan1
If we want to have an evaluation of the similarities and differences of two version: CC vs. CS6. There are some important ingredients of what’s new with Adobe CC in general. First of all, a great and solid new Creative Cloud Desktop App that takes place of both the Adobe Application Manager and the Creative Cloud Connection In an unobtrusive manner, and does file versioning likewise. Besides this, Cloud-based synchronization and sharing of all the tool settings (To alter to suit individual requirements or specifications ) like preferences, presets, brushes, shortcuts, workspaces, styles, fonts, colors, and more. On the other hand, The skill or competence to share and issue your study directly from within your productive tools up to Behance in the Cloud as wanted. 680 different Typekit fonts is now be able to be downloaded and installable locally on your computer (a approximately $25,000 value if bought from market). People from different needs may value these aspects at a different level.

If we continue to talk about the other aspects that is worth mentioning, what is more Customers with yearly memberships will be usable all CC productions for up to 99 days offline without confirmation or needing to be linked to the Internet (around 180 days). The new CC applications will install and start running alongside any previous versions of Adobe software such as CS6, CS5, etc., and will enable to backsave or export to CS6 file formats. Indeed, Creative Cloud members will have the right or ability to download and install prior versions from an archive of desired desktop products beginning from CS6 onwards. What are the Major New characteristics in Adobe CC. Ýf we want to have a quick run-through of some of the most significant new features in CC for major applications: Photoshop CC: New Camera Shake Reduction (Image Deblurring), Conditional Actions, Improved 3D painting & effects, Copying of CSS attributes, Editable rounded rectangles, Sync Settings and Save to Cloud, totally-new Smart Sharpen, Intelligent Upsampling, Camera Raw 8 support,Multi-shape and path selection, all “Extended” features now contained.
Gregoric
I hoped it will be far more 'Cloud' than it is at the moment. Well, maybe not 'hoped' but expected it to be so, as I not really going to buy/subscribe to their monthly payment.

I just though that if they literally move main functionalities to cloud, piracy will eventually stop and allow Adobe gain credits and thus the prices will lower so that eventually I will be going to be able to afford Photoshop or Illustrator myself Smile
ibraltan1
As fort the Illustrator CC we can see Auto corners for pattern brushes, Sync Settings/Fonts/Colors, Touch Type tool, Font search, Multiple-file place, CSS extraction, Links panel options, File packaging, Unembedded images, On-art Free Transform, Area and point type conversion, Faster type performance, Images in brushes, Expanded a more connected Illustrator.Besides this, InDesign/InCopy CC comprises a new modern user interface, Native 64-bit support for fast performance, Font search and filter, HiDPI and Retina display support, InCopy now included in CC, QR Code Creator, EPUB enhancements, Font favorites, Adobe Exchange panel, Sharing with Creative Cloud, Instant font preview, Sync Fonts. Onee of the most wanted; Dreamweaver CC has also some good specifications: New CSS Designer Tool, enhanced Fluid Grid Layout interface, Modernized & streamlined workflow, Edge Web Fonts support, Behance Integration, Modern platform support, Sync Settings & Preferences, Source Code Pro font for Code View, jQuery UI widgets. Apart from these Muse CC has the following features that produce perfect effects with new Parallax scrolling, Live in-browser editing, a much better linked Adobe Muse as becoming part of the CC product group.
dude_xyx
I don't think I will ever upgrade Photoshop again. I have Photoshop CS5 and that's probably the last version I have bought. But not a big fan of this Cloud thing or paying a monthly price for that. It was down for days few weeks back. Also can't use in places where you don't have a good net connection.

I hope there will be a good open source one will come foreword something like and better GIMP.
ibraltan1
The New Adobe CS6 is really a big enhancement from its preceding life; the changes and new structures that have been shaped for CS6 are plentiful sufficient to fill a dozen pages. For example Photoshop CC is the newest version of Adobe’s best photo-editing instrument, but it is not for everybody. It supplements a group of new structures, but most of these aren’t essential. Cloud cooperation is fine, but not necessary by all users. The pricing model, but, makes it much easier to meet the expense of Photoshop, especially if you buy individual apps and not the whole Creative Cloud. More prominently, you will get lifetime upgrades, so you’ll get right to use to more structure when and as they roll out. Whether CS6 is worth its price label for the whole set of programs and apps is a personal choice. The Adobe website itself presents per-program upgrades for those designers and program writers who just desire to change up for only a few of their CS5 apps. This provides a nice budget option for having the new features of CS6.