FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

USB ports

Tony The Tiger
What kinds of things could cause a USB port to operate intermittently so as to only allow recognizable connections at random times?
Magicman
It's probably something with improper or out of date drivers. Or it could just have to do with connections inside your computer. Those seem like the two most likely problem. I'm not so sure what else could cause that problem.
ocalhoun
USB has always been a 'flaky' technology... Sometimes it has strange random errors, with solutions that make no sense.

Things to try:
Unplug and re-plug
Plug it directly into the computer, if currently using a hub or daisy chain
Plug it into a different port on the computer and/or hub (especially if there is more than one bank of ports on the computer.)
Restart computer
Restart USB device
Update USB drivers, for motherboard, hub (if there is one), device, and any other USB-connected item.

I've seen any of these things solve such problems... and sometimes I've seen all these things done and the problem persists.
Tony The Tiger
ocalhoun wrote:
USB has always been a 'flaky' technology... Sometimes it has strange random errors, with solutions that make no sense.

Things to try:
Unplug and re-plug
Plug it directly into the computer, if currently using a hub or daisy chain
Plug it into a different port on the computer and/or hub (especially if there is more than one bank of ports on the computer.)
Restart computer
Restart USB device
Update USB drivers, for motherboard, hub (if there is one), device, and any other USB-connected item.

I've seen any of these things solve such problems... and sometimes I've seen all these things done and the problem persists.

What if only one of my four ports is dependable and the other three seem to be intermittent. It seems that the right rear will always respond by recognizing USB devices and the other ports are very hit and miss. Does this narrow down the solutions any. I am not using any external non-direct connection. I am always having problems with direct insertion of device into my computer's physical USB ports.
ocalhoun
Tony The Tiger wrote:

What if only one of my four ports is dependable and the other three seem to be intermittent. It seems that the right rear will always respond by recognizing USB devices and the other ports are very hit and miss. Does this narrow down the solutions any. I am not using any external non-direct connection. I am always having problems with direct insertion of device into my computer's physical USB ports.

Plug everything into that one dependable port through a USB hub?
weableandbob
I suppose it could be the hardware itself. Maybe the connection is iffy or the usb port itself is going bad.
Tony The Tiger
ocalhoun wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Plug everything into that one dependable port through a USB hub?

I don't think a hub is the answer because this is a notebook that I am using on the go all the time. I am going to call HP for some tech support.
FunDa
Yeah .. if reinstalling the drivers doesn't work, call HP and get it replaced/repaired before the warranty runs out.
jwellsy
Did you blow the dirt and dust bunnies out of it? Use a flashlight and magnifying glass to verify that a spider or some other critter didn't take up housekeeping in there.
Tony The Tiger
jwellsy wrote:
Did you blow the dirt and dust bunnies out of it? Use a flashlight and magnifying glass to verify that a spider or some other critter didn't take up housekeeping in there.

This is a new April 2010 machine. I have called Hewlett Packard customer service for technical support. They did some testing and told me that my only option is to reinstall my operating system back to factory conditions. I am not really interested in going through all the procedures I have to go through when I reinstall to factory conditions because it means I essentially reformat my hard drives.
menino
I've seen this problem with an old HP laptop, but couldnt fix it. Reinstalling the OS didnt help either.
It has to do with the USB port sharing an IRQ or some resource with another USB device or something else.
Try changing the resource IRQ in the Device Management (my computer, right-click, properties, hardware Tab, device manager),go to USB, and check the controllers, see if there are any conflicts here, and try to change the resources, if they are being shared.

Good luck!
ocalhoun
Tony The Tiger wrote:
jwellsy wrote:

This is a new April 2010 machine. I have called Hewlett Packard customer service for technical support. They did some testing and told me that my only option is to reinstall my operating system back to factory conditions. I am not really interested in going through all the procedures I have to go through when I reinstall to factory conditions because it means I essentially reformat my hard drives.

Rolling Eyes
Well, my opinion of HP tech support just dropped some.
Telling the user that they have to re-format and reinstall everything should be the last resort, not something you jump to as soon as you see the problem isn't simple.
Tony The Tiger
menino wrote:
I've seen this problem with an old HP laptop, but couldnt fix it. Reinstalling the OS didnt help either.
It has to do with the USB port sharing an IRQ or some resource with another USB device or something else.
Try changing the resource IRQ in the Device Management (my computer, right-click, properties, hardware Tab, device manager),go to USB, and check the controllers, see if there are any conflicts here, and try to change the resources, if they are being shared.

Good luck!

I don't see any conflicts, but I do see a lot of duplicates. I see Generic USB Hub twice, Intel(R) Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B34, Intel(R) Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B3C, USB Composite Device, USB Mass Storage Device, USB Printing Support, and USB Root Hub twice.
ocalhoun
If you can find one, boot the computer up with a bootable OS cd (like a bootable linux cd).

If the problem still happens, it's a hardware (or hardware configuration) problem.
If the problem stops, it's a software problem.

That would give you a good starting point with tech support, especially if it's a hardware problem, as that would give you excellent reason to refuse to format and reinstall.
Tony The Tiger
ocalhoun wrote:
If you can find one, boot the computer up with a bootable OS cd (like a bootable linux cd).

If the problem still happens, it's a hardware (or hardware configuration) problem.

That would give you a good starting point with tech support, especially if it's a hardware problem, as that would give you excellent reason to refuse to format and reinstall.

I run Windows 7. Can I use a bootable linux CD on my machine. If so, how do I get one?
FunDa
Tony The Tiger wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

I run Windows 7. Can I use a bootable linux CD on my machine. If so, how do I get one?

Yeah .. You can use a bootable Linux CD on almost any computer with a CD drive (>384 mb RAM recommended)

If you have any friends or colleagues who use Linux, they would have a CD with them.

If not, it is possible to download the latest version from the internet.
Depending on ur net connection reliability, u can either download directly or use a torrent. Torrents also might have better versions of Linux which are unofficial, but include stuff like VLC and mp3 players which have to be downloaded separately in case of the official one.

Try out Ubuntu Linux from here.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Use the Live CD option when booting up.
Tony The Tiger
FunDa wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Yeah .. You can use a bootable Linux CD on almost any computer with a CD drive (>384 mb RAM recommended)

If you have any friends or colleagues who use Linux, they would have a CD with them.

If not, it is possible to download the latest version from the internet.
Depending on ur net connection reliability, u can either download directly or use a torrent. Torrents also might have better versions of Linux which are unofficial, but include stuff like VLC and mp3 players which have to be downloaded separately in case of the official one.

Try out Ubuntu Linux from here.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Use the Live CD option when booting up.

Well now it seems two of my ports are acting fine so I a bit less stressed about my port capacities.