FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Taxation without representation

standready
I need feedback before I release to the world press. Is it clear? Point out errors and ask questions.
---
"United States Supports Taxation Without Representation"

If my memory serves me correctly, 230 plus years ago some colony started a revolution over taxation without representation and declared inpendence from their oppressors.

The state of Indiana's property taxes are suppose to be based on “fair market” value of home and I do not mind paying my “fair” share in taxes. The assessed value on my home for 2008 (payable 2009) went up over 17 percent from past year. I could never ever get that price for my home! I went into the Center Township assessor's to complain back in October 2009. I asked them to show me how they arrived at this outrageous number. They said they can't and that I could appeal and “I” must provide MLS listing from that time peroid of comparable houses “in my area” or a certified appraisal of my home. The Indiana tax code states if the assessed value increased by more than 5 percent over the previous year's assessed value, the burden of proof rest with the local assessing official. Both the Center Township and the Lake county assessor offices have refused to provide proof as required. This is “Taxation without representation!” Pay or we will take your house.

I wrote Indiana's Attorney General and Indiana's Governor. I invited the Governor Daniels to come and walk around my neighborhood and we can discuss the assessor's "fair market" values of several homes here. Governor Daniels is not going to run for re-election so he simply "passed the buck" to the Department of Local Government Finance (dlgf) which sent me a letter which basically was a copy of their webpage stating what I already knew.

I have even written United States Attorney General and President Obama about this situation and neither one has yet to respond. The President must feel this is an acceptable practice for government officials.

Plus to pour salt into the wound, I just received a "provisional" property tax bill for this year and they based it on last year's already inflated assessment when everyone knows house values dropped substantially. "Pay more or we will take your house!" I am now in the process of filing an appeal directly to the Indiana Board of Tax Review for all the good that will do.

This really makes me proud to be an American – NOT!
---

Thanks for your comments
deanhills
I say go for it. It is an excellent letter, and I am sure it will resonate with an overwhelming majority of people all over. If I may make a suggestion, in addition to your letter, I would also create separate stories of woe by a few people who were forced to sell their houses as they could not afford the higher taxes that happened as a result of assessments that are out of whack with the actual lower value of the properties. There is obviously something seriously wrong here. Perhaps if you can attract a lot of people with the same dilemma they can create a lobby group of sorts?

I would also write to President Obama, and Oprah. See if she can air a programme about this?
palciere
My wife and I are in the process of selling our house. It is assessed for $480,000 but we have accepted an offer of $440,000. That's because the U.S. economy has collapsed, along with a lot of other economies. I asked the town assessor about this and he admitted the assessments are no longer correct, but he is hoping the economy will improve and the assessments will be valid again. He figures there is no sense trying to assess all those houses until the real estate market gets a little more stable.

So long as everybody's house is over-assessed by the same percentage, approximately, the tax burden will be spread pretty much fairly. Assessing all our houses at this time would be a waste of our tax money and just make the tax burden worse for all of us.
Jinx
Politicians hate bad press, so raising a stink in Indiana newspapers sounds like a good idea. Be vocal, find others in the same situation who are also willing to be "squeaky wheels" on this issue.

Quote:
The Indiana tax code states if the assessed value increased by more than 5 percent over the previous year's assessed value, the burden of proof rest with the local assessing official. Both the Center Township and the Lake county assessor offices have refused to provide proof as required.

^^ And, you might even want to talk to a lawyer to see if you have a case against the city and/or county.

Don't give up - complacency will just tell them that they can get away with it!

Good Luck!
(and document everything! Smile )
standready
Thanks everyone! Keep'em coming!

I have added to the last paragraph:
"This is very incomprehensible that the government would allow what our founding fathers fought with their lives to stop. When did the Constitution get tossed in the trash? Really makes me proud to be an American – NOT!"

@ palciere - the problem here is the unfairness in assessments. There is a larger home in my neighborhood on a larger lot that is $2200 less than mine. Another that is maybe smaller on a larger lot is $70,000 less than mine!! Numbers don't make sense; like assessor just pulled numbers out of a hat or some other place.
ocalhoun
standready wrote:
Numbers don't make sense; like assessor just pulled numbers out of a hat or some other place.

Getting the house's value assessed by a third party may help your case, though it'll cost a little.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
standready wrote:
Numbers don't make sense; like assessor just pulled numbers out of a hat or some other place.

Getting the house's value assessed by a third party may help your case, though it'll cost a little.
Excellent point. My brother in law in South Africa did that actually a few years ago. He got two quotes and he got his way. He got away just with writing a letter and attaching his quotes, however the tone in his letter left no doubt that his next step would have been a letter from his lawyer. It worked like a charm. I'd forgotten about that until you came up with your suggestion.
standready
Jinx wrote:
Politicians hate bad press, so raising a stink in Indiana newspapers sounds like a good idea. Be vocal, find others in the same situation who are also willing to be "squeaky wheels" on this issue.

Quote:
The Indiana tax code states if the assessed value increased by more than 5 percent over the previous year's assessed value, the burden of proof rest with the local assessing official. Both the Center Township and the Lake county assessor offices have refused to provide proof as required.

^^ And, you might even want to talk to a lawyer to see if you have a case against the city and/or county.

Don't give up - complacency will just tell them that they can get away with it!

Good Luck!
(and document everything! Smile )

I think I lost my main point. This is not about the assessed value. I will split off the above quote into a separate paragraph. Thank you, Jinx. I had hope the US or Indiana Attorney General, Governor or President would have stepped up for the Constitution after reading my letters. When I release this to the press hopefully some lawyer will step up.
Ghost900
As far as being over assessed, that is fine as if everybody is over assessed then it washes out as they have a certain amount t of income they need and tax it based of values.

The issue with your statement is that they are raising you by a large amount, that should be released so others who may have the same issue can also make complaints unless the entire country was raised that much which is unlikely. 17% is a huge amount that seems almost as if it is a mistake.
deanhills
Ghost900 wrote:
The issue with your statement is that they are raising you by a large amount, that should be released so others who may have the same issue can also make complaints unless the entire country was raised that much which is unlikely. 17% is a huge amount that seems almost as if it is a mistake.
I thought it had something to do with the fact that properties had a huge drop in value after the real estate crisis, however authorities failed to match their assessments with the decreased value.
weds1
good luck keep up the good work ^_^
hunnyhiteshseth
So finally did your letter got published? What was the result of it?