FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Number of Facebook 'Friends' Does Not Matter

airh3ad
you have an account on FB , Let’s face it, if you do not have a fb account, you are practically a loser; either that or you do not live in the twenty-first century. Facebook, as if you do not know, is one of the largest social networking websites in which “members…craft an image of themselves as they would like to be seen” by others (Reardon). You create a profile in which you share your favorite books, movies, music, quotes and any additional information you want with the world, all complete with your personal picture, birthday, relationship status, religious views and political affiliation. After you set up all that jazz, upload some pictures into a virtual photo album, add the very popular bumper sticker application and you are ready to use the search bar to find and connect with friends as well as Facebook “stalk” or “creep” complete strangers.
zacky
hahahahha,, laughing out loud... Laughing Laughing Laughing

yeah most people now around the globe use facebook and i think if your not using it, you left behind your brain and thoughts on the 70's 80's or 90's century.

But sometimes i'm just little bit annoyed coz there's a lot of people who wants to add me but i don't know them personally.

By the way, what's the connection of this post in "Relationship" Category here?
AftershockVibe
airh3ad wrote:
Let’s face it, if you do not have a fb account, you are practically a loser;

While I do have a facebook account, I know people who don't and I find your comment hilarious. Facebook is a tool, nothing more - trivialising "friendship" to the click of a button. It is ridiculous to use facebook as any measure of social worth.

Who's the biggest loser? The person out actually living and making genuine connections or the person sat behind a screen clicking "poke" and "i like this". Yes, that was a rhetorical question.

zacky wrote:

Relationships is not just restricted to love-type relationships. Friendship (or even enemies) are relationships too.

Cool
iyepes
As a security basis I don't accept people in facebook that I haven't met in real life before.

Internet gives people the ability to pretend to be what they are not, and I really love real people Smile

Relationships could be started with a chat, but the rule of don't talk to strangers is valid for children and cautious adults.
Insanity
There's a whole South Park episode devoted to this idea, and I think they have succiently explained it.

Facebook is simply a social networking tool; it doesn't, and shouldn't be used as a yardstick to determine how popular someone is. There are plenty of people who are actually spending so much time with their friends that they simply don't have the time for frivolous things like Facebook and Myspace and Twitter. That doesn't mean they aren't popular, or are losers, as you said. It just means they have no interest in these things. While I have a Facebook and I think that it helps a lot in developing friendships, I don't think that criticizing people who don't have one is a smart idea.
pll
You've got 3000 facebook friends. But when you move out to another house there's nobody to help you doing boxes ».«
Da Rossa
Yeah you're right. I agree the # of friends is irrelevant, but I believe that, at least, you have to have an active account. That's the vogue, unfortunately.

But take the good part of the service. You can promote yourself even professionaly if you know how to do it. Also, you can peek at people important to you!! Very Happy
JessieF
Insanity wrote:
There's a whole South Park episode devoted to this idea, and I think they have succiently explained it.

Facebook is simply a social networking tool; it doesn't, and shouldn't be used as a yardstick to determine how popular someone is. There are plenty of people who are actually spending so much time with their friends that they simply don't have the time for frivolous things like Facebook and Myspace and Twitter. That doesn't mean they aren't popular, or are losers, as you said. It just means they have no interest in these things. While I have a Facebook and I think that it helps a lot in developing friendships, I don't think that criticizing people who don't have one is a smart idea.

I was thinking about that South Park episode. Laughing It was hilarious.

I have a facebook myself, but I hardly use it. I mostly use it on my iPod to talk with my friends, because I don't have a cell phone to text. It is better than showing up at their house completely unannounced! ROFL
gandalfthegrey
too many ... you look like you are trying to hard, will add anyone
too few... you risk looking like a friendless loser, or a newbie
zacky
iyepes wrote:
As a security basis I don't accept people in facebook that I haven't met in real life before.

Internet gives people the ability to pretend to be what they are not, and I really love real people Smile

Relationships could be started with a chat, but the rule of don't talk to strangers is valid for children and cautious adults.

But sometimes, it's nice to talk to some strangers. A person who came from thousand miles away from you. Coz for me, that's the beginning of excitement and curiosity. Smile
furtasacra
iyepes wrote:

Same here. I have more acquaintances on Facebook than true friends, but they're mostly interesting people that I've met in person. I do have a few "friends" I've never personally met, but they're mostly family in other parts of the country - several in-laws, a sister, three nieces and a nephew, to be precise.

Facebook isn't loser territory if you're using it for what it was originally intended for; keeping in touch with people you like. The people that constantly play Farmville and Mafia Vampires or whatever and all their updates are about stupid games... LOSER with a capital L. Games are not a substitute for a social life; I use Facebook to find out about cool stuff to do where I live.

Fortunately, I've met a lot of my Facebook acquaintances from going to art events and other community-related activities, so they're mostly educated, witty people who like to have fun.

And by the way, if you hate Facebook because of the Farmville updates ("Please kiss my new sheep!") or quizzes or any of the other idiotic time-wasting BS, you can block the game and quiz and other stupid updates without blocking the person they're coming from.
PureReborn
The south park episode sums up my thoughts about Facebook perfectly.

Plus the who (lack of) privacy thing has made me step away from using Facebook. I still have my account (to keep track of events or upload public images/videos) but otherwise I talk to my friends on the phone or skype.

The number of friends you have doesn't matter at all if you know talk to a small portion of them. Does anyone honestly talk to all their 200+ friends?
fahout
752 friends. Eat me.
todabeat
AftershockVibe wrote:
Friendship (or even enemies) are relationships too.

Cool

love it... enemies... hahaha

i also have a facebook account, but mainly i use it once every 2-3 days, to make fun of the people to post EVERYTHING about their lives..

i hate it.
i mean cant go to ttake a dump, buecase they will announce it first before they go, to their "FRIENDS" on facebook, i hate them
guissmo
I've learned from Friendster. I'm not adding random people whom I don't know or I haven't met in real life.

It's weird in Facebook that people find me even though we don't have any mutual friends whatsoever. It's just creepy.
md7dani
I only add people I know and that I have contact with. Though I only have like 100 friends on fb, I'm looking for like 300 or more.
Da Rossa
md7dani wrote:
I only add people I know and that I have contact with. Though I only have like 100 friends on fb, I'm looking for like 300 or more.

What's the point in having quantity instead of quality people?
iyepes
Quote:
Friendship (or even enemies) are relationships too.

Ha, ha, ha, ha I can't imagine a person adding his/her enemies in facebook, how would it be, an unfriend request? ha, ha, ha.

About love relathinships, my experience is that virtual world is really bad arena to find a good one. It's plenty of people looking for affairs, nothing to build. That was the reason I closed all my dating sites accounts, they were useless.
Nemesis234
i have facebook, and probably login about once every 3 months maybe. but i only really do that to see what my friends are up to that i dont see regularly. i did quite a bit of travelling and met some great people and added most to facebook so if i was ever to go back to where i met them i could easilly get back in touch. i wouldnt dream of adding someone i never met, thats just plain sad to try and get a huge friend number. i have 60 and i think that may still be too many, but all of them are true friends, 15-20 i see most days, the rest i hope to meet up with again in the future.
airh3ad
@ zacky you can find your partner in FB hehe. I see your reactions OMG that's really funny, I'm still laughing from all that you have said.Almost everyone I know has suddenly began talking about "what she/he said on facebook". I totaly agree with my post, though a couple of weeks ago i might have thought it was a joke.
But now my gran talks about facebook. What has the world come to? I have a facebook account and realize a huge percentage of what you say is true. I had alot of people on there from high school and previous jobs, former dates that treated me bad.. etc..I suppose to see just how many people I could put on my account. Then I finally realized why do I want a picture of someone's face that once treated me bad that suddenly acts as if they are my friend? Needless to say I deleted the majority of them, and just keep the good people on there..especially the ones who are out of state that I don't get to see very often.....Facebook is not a totally bad thing especially since there are not many things in life that are free.. but some people go overboard like my son claiming to have 800 friends.
toasterintheoven
I have fewer than 100 friends on facebook, I have even fewer friends in real life, I don't let it bother me much
Parkour_Jarrod
I think whats more surprising is when you have heaps of friends on facebook then sit down and think how many you actually do have, you have heaps, its surprising that you actually have so many friends. Its more just in the mind that you have few friends... sit down and think of all the friends you have hung out with in the past 2 months... how many is there?
Nemesis234
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
I think whats more surprising is when you have heaps of friends on facebook then sit down and think how many you actually do have, you have heaps, its surprising that you actually have so many friends. Its more just in the mind that you have few friends... sit down and think of all the friends you have hung out with in the past 2 months... how many is there?

it depends what you class as a friend. you seem to class a friend as someone you know... and not much more. my idea of a friend is a little different, as in see them atleast 2/3 times a week, can spend the whole day with and not get bored/run out of conversation.
Parkour_Jarrod
Nemesis234 wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

it depends what you class as a friend. you seem to class a friend as someone you know... and not much more. my idea of a friend is a little different, as in see them atleast 2/3 times a week, can spend the whole day with and not get bored/run out of conversation.

No, what you see if how i see it, and its true i do know a few people, its why life hasn't been boring lately
loyal
airh3ad wrote:
you have an account on FB , Let’s face it, if you do not have a fb account, you are
practically a loser; either that or you do not live in the twenty-first century.

Or you value your privacy or you dont use a computer or whatever valid reason lol

Quote:

Facebook, as if you do not know, is one of the largest social networking websites in which “members…craft an image of themselves as they would like to be seen” by others (Reardon). You create a profile in which you share your favorite books, movies, music, quotes and any additional information you want with the world, all complete with your personal picture, birthday, relationship status, religious views and political affiliation.

It can be fake. But people can present an image like that in real life too. It's just easier in real life to be found out.

Quote:

After you set up all that jazz, upload some pictures into a virtual photo album, add the very popular bumper sticker application and you are ready to use the search bar to find and connect with friends as well as Facebook “stalk” or “creep” complete strangers.

Stalk? So true. It's scary how easy it is to stalk a person on facebook. Especially being able to view a person's complete photo album.

Peace.
watersoul
AftershockVibe wrote:
airh3ad wrote:
Let’s face it, if you do not have a fb account, you are practically a loser;

While I do have a facebook account, I know people who don't and I find your comment hilarious. Facebook is a tool, nothing more - trivialising "friendship" to the click of a button. It is ridiculous to use facebook as any measure of social worth.

Who's the biggest loser? The person out actually living and making genuine connections or the person sat behind a screen clicking "poke" and "i like this". Yes, that was a rhetorical question.

zacky wrote:

Relationships is not just restricted to love-type relationships. Friendship (or even enemies) are relationships too.

Cool

Agree with that, I recently deleted my facebook account and the total number of my real friends is unchanged. A particular platform or means of communication does not determine the sum of the people a person actually communicates with.

The "tool" is the electronic internet communication, facebook is just a different and more successful brand of tool so far. Does anyone remember myspace.com? Laughing Wink
recked
Why would it matter? Isn't facebook used mainly for communication amongst peers, family who are far away? To keep in touch?
watersoul
recked wrote:
Why would it matter? Isn't facebook used mainly for communication amongst peers, family who are far away? To keep in touch?

...any social network brand will be many many things to many people fella, if you can think of a reason to use that particular "free" service then someone will be doing that for the same reason, especially if they have many millions of members.
iman
I think your facebook friends should be limited to your real friends, or acquaintances.
But it's never a measurement of anything.
LittleBlackKitten
I think it's very dangerous to have many facebook friends; If I don't know them personally, or through a really good friend, I will NOT add you. If some creeper ads me, and I don't know who it is, then they get denied. I've heard horror stories of people being kidnapped and stalked by strangers off facebook. I either have to a) know you through another website and know for sure you're safe and have spoken to you before, b) know you personally, c) be related to you, or d) you are a friend of a good friend. If you're not one of these, hello denied and blocked vile.
abhinavgakhar
its useless ...we can make huge freindlist very easily but its of no use............this guy belongs to our coll that girl is from my hometown ...we just send freind request wether we know that peson or not....
abhinavgakhar
i would like to add that facebook is not that safe ....almost all stars have their account on twitter rather than on facebook
Bluedoll
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I think it's very dangerous to have many facebook friends; If I don't know them personally, or through a really good friend, I will NOT add you. If some creeper ads me, and I don't know who it is, then they get denied. I've heard horror stories of people being kidnapped and stalked by strangers off facebook. I either have to a) know you through another website and know for sure you're safe and have spoken to you before, b) know you personally, c) be related to you, or d) you are a friend of a good friend. If you're not one of these, hello denied and blocked vile.
I agree, you need to be careful careful, also, I think in general you can never have too many friends but I would rather have one good friend than 100 so so friends or people you will never get to know very well anyway. It is sad when you loose one.

I think in general you can never have too many friends but I would rather have one good friend than 100 so so friends or people you will never get to know very well anyway. It is sad when you loose one.
R-Alalia
I am also using facebook and the list of my friends is a large one.I got 897 friends in my list.But i have seen number of friends does'nt matter because you cannot interact with every one there.You can interact with some of them.Ingrown hair
eday2010
Contrary to the dummy in the opening post, Facebook is not the be-all end-all of your existence, or whether you are a loser or not. If anything, you are less of a loser than people using Facebook since you are very capable of maintaining friendships and making new ones without some web site.
Insanity
I don't agree with the assessment that having a lot of Facebook friends makes you a loser. I will agree that people who judge others and themselves based on the number of friends they have on a social networking website have some serious issues. Facebook receives a lot of flak because everyone uses it and that creates a norm, and everyone who doesn't gets immediately shunned. It's all part of the following the herd mentality.

It's a great tool for keeping in touch with friends while they are far away at school, touring the world, or have just moved far away. It lets you share photos with people and have groups that you can keep up with easily. A lot of this might be hard or impossible with other options like telephone or email, because it's not as easy.

Anyways, I think that having a lot of Facebook friends doesn't mean anything, and people shouldn't be judged for it. But Facebook is useful for a lot of things.
mk12327
I share the same sentiments as most of you regarding how the number of friends on a social networking site does not define how popular you are, and that Facebook is totally unsafe. In addition to that, I remember reading an article claiming that Facebook reduce work productivity.

However, that being said, I do still keep a Facebook account, mainly to keep in touch with family and friends whom would be difficult to contact offline. (Other than skype) I had set strict privacy controls over my account so as to minimise risk of exposure and exploitation. In fact, I made it such that even my friends are not able to view my friend list. (So that different circles of friends don't simply add my other friends whom they do not know)

For photos, I only allow people related to the photos have access to them. Eg. my family and relatives have access to most of my photos but my school friends probably only have access to school-related event photos. Likewise for office-related photos for colleagues.

In fact, there is a separate post here in Frihost that talks about boss facebook request.
macky
it is not that people who do not a face book are looser it is that not all people are interested to some of

the social networks are widely incurring now...