FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who is your favorite director?

Nikolus
I think Ingmar Bergman is possibly the best filmmaker in history. I recently, however, saw Au Hasard Balthazar, and now have an immense amount of respect for Bresson. He might be the most stylistically-purposeful director narrative cinema has seen.
kuad
Hayao Miyazaki. Great anime's, my favourite would have to be Mononoke Hime
Nikolus
kuad wrote:
Hayao Miyazaki. Great anime's, my favourite would have to be Mononoke Hime

That's my favorite Miyazaki film as well. He's a great filmmaker.
Monkeydog
Miyazaki or Quentian Tarantino.
Nikolus
Are there any posters here even familiar with any of the important and masterful filmmakers from cinematic history? Godard? Bergman? Dreyer? Ozu?
drunkfun
james cameron was the ****** shiznit until he made Titanic... what a disgrace of a film.

second best is Sergio Leone. Who made some of the greatest films in 'The Good, The Bad and the Ugly' 'Fistful of Dollars' 'Once Upon A Time In The West' and 'Once Upon A Time in America'
Nikolus
Not a Cameron fan (or an action fan, for that matter).

Leone was great. Once Upon A Time In The West is three hours of consecutive master sequences, with no low points. Astounding.
Tior
Quentian Tarantino,George Lucas,Steven Spielberg
boringest
tarantino, most of spielberg's, miyazaki - they are all my favourite...just watched Howl's Moving Castle in the cinema and it was great!
Caxius
tim burton and peter jackson Wink
amberchanging
Without a doubt Tim Burton
Billy Hill
Monkeydog wrote:
Quentian Tarantino.

x2
Ioana
Bergman, Luc Besson, Andrej Tarkovsky, Tony Gatlif, Terry Gilliam, Luc Besson, Emir Kusturica... I stop here, they're the first that came to my mind. If I would really think would be a big list of favourite directors and I could never tell whom I think is better.
Twikki
the guy that made the matrix
damj
I like directors with a unique visual style. M favotites are Alfred Hitchcock, Alan Parker (The Wall, Angel Heart), and Stanley Kubrick. I liked Peter Jackson's work in LOTR, and I'm interested to see where his career goes.
mrblah
I think Michael Mann is a great director. I have watched Heat so many times. Really great movie. Also Collateral wasn't that bad, even with Tom Cruise.
blueknot
yahoo

i love the director who done LOTR and Matrix

they rules.

haha

i hate midnight sham
guybrush
I like Bergman, Billy Wilder and Woody Allen.
drunkfun
TIM BURTON MADE PLANET OF THE APES.... He sucks. No film will ever gain him forgiveness
Sappho
Lucas Moodyson
boocherry
Orson Wells

He was ahead of his time, and did not do things just to be different, he did them because that was the way he saw them. Could do a lot with a low budget, wrote his own scripts, was not afraid to experiment. His first movie, Citizen Kane is considered by many to be the best ever made, though few people know about it. Used themes realitive to the times and had the guts to stand his ground.
alja
I have to say that spike lee is my favorit director, because of his controversial way of expouse some of the disorders of our society.
Frelina
Well, I guess, that Luc Besson, Emir Kusturica, Quentian Tarantino, Steven Spielberg I like the most =)
Dean_The_Great
I would say that I prefer a certain style of directing more than I like certain directors.

The style I like is the "Complete Package" style. This is when the director really has taken into consideration every aspect of the film, and then follows through 110%. George Lucas did this on the first Star Wars films. Steven Spielburg did it in films such as "Schindler's List", "Jurassic Park" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind".

Robert Rodriguez used to do this when he made the "El Mariachi" series, the best example being "El Mariachi", when he made the film for $7000. He then withdrew from the amazing directing when he did the "Spy Kids" films.

But my all time favourite director is Tim Burton, as he has applied his vision to everything he's created. And the best part is that he's done it knowing that not everyone will like it. He doesn't make films for the box office. He makes films as art and then lets the money happen as it happens. Groovy.

Robert Rodriguez used to do this when he made the "El Mariachi" series, the best example being "El Mariachi", when he made the film for $7000. He then withdrew from the amazing directing when he did the "Spy Kids" films.
lucifertje
I can't believe noone said Kevin Smith yet???

Ok the last two movies he maid flopped but you have to love Clerks no?
neosree
Steven Spielberg, and James Cameron are the best according to me Smile

Also
The Matrix makers:
Andy Wachowski
Larry Wachowski

and
Chris Columbus - old Harry potter maker.
Peter Jackson - LOTR trilogy
Goatmonkey
My favorite Director is Peter Jackson. The
Mastermind behind the Lord of the Rings and the man supposedly directing the 2007 Halo Movie.
engeland
Yeap Peter Jackson.

He's good
therestofus
Caxius wrote:
tim burton and peter jackson Wink
you said it!