FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Branded or assembled?

Which type of PC do you have?
Branded
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Assembled
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 9

speeDemon
Which one do you use? Which one do you like? why?
I'm personally using an assembled one right now.
czarulit
Definitely assembled. It's cheaper and I'm not dependent on one company's services.
Ankhanu
Currently all my systems are branded, though I've assembled several... so, both.

Sadly, it's often cheaper to buy branded and modify than to buy the same components separately.
deanhills
All my computers have been assembled. I doubt that any branded model could compete on price on the level I am operating at. I don't think it is only the hardware that makes for a really good computer, but how it is configured and how the operating and applications software are put together. I seemed to have lucked out with a really good technician who buys bulk, knows his way with prices, as well as how to put the assembled products together. I would agree however, that if one were to try an assembled version of some of the higher specifications brands, such as Apple computers, that the branded version may be cheaper than the assembled version.
nam_siddharth
My first PC was branded bought back in 2001. Then I had very little knowledge about computer components. Now I buy only assembled PCs.
joostvane
My first PC was obviously branded. My second one was assembled by a friend, and now I buy my components online and assemble my PC myself.

I think its cheaper and I like the freedom it provides in configuring your PC. Very Happy
Parkour_Jarrod
Branded, I use laptops, i don't need the power of a desktop for everything soo yeah...
deanhills
joostvane wrote:
My first PC was obviously branded. My second one was assembled by a friend, and now I buy my components online and assemble my PC myself.

I think its cheaper and I like the freedom it provides in configuring your PC. Very Happy
Wish I could do that! So I imagine you can go anywhere in the world, and do it yourself. You would love Dubai, as there is a computer souk (market) with hundreds of these computer component small shops, you would have a field day shopping and getting really good prices. My PC tower looks like a copy of ghostbusters. It has the eyes and the smile, including a convenient handle on top that is built in to carry it. The "on" switch is a shimering blue light. One finds really interesting products here that aren't branded components.
k_s_baskar
I always go with assembled. Because i am having option combination to select my Processor/ ram / os etc., Smile
Xanify
I have a laptop, so I'm stuck with branded. Sad

My last desktop was assembled, though. Good times ...
sudipbanerjee
I rely on assembled one. I think through this I can choose the best part and I didn't have to be dependent on a particular company's service
rickylau
Assembled, its flexible to suite my needs, plus the branded PCs is not easy to maintain and you can only rely on their warranty IMO
william
Xanify wrote:
I have a laptop, so I'm stuck with branded. Sad

You can still build a laptop, though. Granted there's not nearly as much versatility as building a desktop, but nevertheless, it's way more customizable than a branded notebook. You simply have to buy a barebone which includes the motherboard and shell and often the screen and graphics card. With the barebone, you can add the CPU, RAM, hard drive, optical drive, screen, graphics card, and wireless card.