FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Advice on a domain name service

TVme
I have researched most of the latest posts in this forum section and I think I need a little more info. I'm thinking of paying for a more memorable domain name. My host (of course will be frihost) , My CSM is Wordpress. I think all I need is a simple redirect to the front page, I can't think of an advantage (to me) to have a full switch over to have all the pages named with the domain. I don't think I need anything except that when someone types in the domain name to get to the site. I don't want to pay a lot of money.

Two companies look good and have my desired name available.

Dot.tk looks good, but can I trust them with the credit card info? I can get three years for $24.95.

With go daddy it looks like I can get a domain name (.us) for ten years for $18.49 that sounds too cheap, will there be other charges?

If anyone has done business with these companies or has a better idea, any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Parkour_Jarrod
.us domains are cheep because no-one goes "ohh have you been to google.us" Nah they go to .com .co.uk .net .org .biz .info the latter less than the previous.

.tk is absolutely horrible don't go with them if i see a .tk webdomain i refuse to go on it...
TVme
From the Answering my own questions dept.:
I found out why they can't sell .us domain names. Apparently there are U.S. laws that require public ownership information to be available to WHOIS sites. In other words you may not use a private registration firm to protect your name, home address and phone number being seen as the owner of the domain to anyone who wants to know it anytime. That's really horrible.
menino
Yes, I wouldn't go with .tk
Godaddy is one of the topmost registrars and I don't see a problem with it.

WHOIS will also show the information for any domain, including .com., .net, right?

Good luck on your site.
k_s_baskar
dot.tk is free. Now it comes with control panel to change the nameservers. But it requires minimum hits to maintain it.
TVme
menino wrote:
Yes, I wouldn't go with .tk
Godaddy is one of the topmost registrars and I don't see a problem with it.

WHOIS will also show the information for any domain, including .com., .net, right?

Good luck on your site.

Yes I used Godaddy and it looks pretty impressive.

No. WHOIS will only show the information of the private registration firm if you pay extra. I paid an extra $7.00 for one year to keep my address and phone number from appearing on the WHOIS registry.

If you go to http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp for example you can type in any wabsite and the information of the owner is there. It's their real name real address and real phone unless they pay for private domain registration.

And only .US may not use these services by United States government law.