FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu 10.04 released! How are you finding it?

loyal
Hey all,

Ubuntu 10.04 came out today. It's long-term support, so it should be pretty stable. How are you guys finding it?

I personally am not a fan of the move of the close, minimise, maximise buttons to the left. Is ubuntu suffering identity issues? I hope I don't one day accidentally close a program, e.g. an essay, instead of clicking on file or edit...

What do you guys think?

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download <- download link
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/1004 <- release notes

Peace.
wowfan
i hava installed 9.10.
didn't update anymore!
Iguleder
I don't get close to Ubuntu simply because Canonical uses it to make money. A free software based product should consists of free-software and only free software, in my opinion. Ubuntu includes many non-free components and I don't like it. I also stay away from all other commercial Linux products.

Don't get me wrong, I use Flash and the official nVidia drivers, but I support distributions such as Debian that value free software and not money they can make from it.

For any Linux newcomer, I'd recommend Debian: similar to Ubuntu, totally free software, way friendlier (again, my opinion) and stable like no other. Very Happy
Fire Boar
Igulender: What's wrong with making money? Downloading and installing Ubuntu costs nothing and the default installation is entirely free software, with non-free software readily available if you want it. As for Canonical... well, Ubuntu is extremely popular, and they are a substantial company - they have to be to serve so many people with an operating system and regular updates. Naturally they need to be paid for their work: volunteers only have a certain amount of commitment (an amount that varies immensely among people).
ssweat
i have never tried ubuntu or other operating systems than windows, what is the big reason people use it? It seems that like macintosh that there is limited software developed for these operating systems, I hate windows mostly but love the fact that the software is plentiful. Maybe i'll get a little crazy one day and download and install one just for curiosity to see what they are all about, but for now I am happy with my Windows 7 64 bit
ahnguye5
Quote:
i have never tried ubuntu or other operating systems than windows, what is the big reason people use it? It seems that like macintosh that there is limited software developed for these operating systems, I hate windows mostly but love the fact that the software is plentiful. Maybe i'll get a little crazy one day and download and install one just for curiosity to see what they are all about, but for now I am happy with my Windows 7 64 bit

It all comes down to the fact that Ubuntu, as well as tons of other Linux distributions, is free. Next would be it's ability to run on older/weaker hardware. There's been alot of talk about the fast boot time of this new release for example. I have Debian running on an 10-yr old Pentium III with 128 MB of RAM. Other reasons are pretty controversial and those may include stability, security, etc.
Iguleder
ssweat wrote:

Stability, security, compatibility, freedom, performance ... and fun. Linux is simply fun. Windows is boring, you can't hack stuff or mess with the internals of your software. It takes away your freedom.
william
Heh, times goes by quickly. Feels like I just installed 9.10. Anyway, I have this computer, and I'm thinking about installing Linux and then running Windows inside Linux, as opposed to a dual boot. I've done it once before, and I'm considering doing it again with hopes it runs smoothly. Otherwise I may just have to stick with Windows on that machine (since I have to run some Windows applications, and I haven't had much luck with WINE).

How's performance on 10.04?
loyal
Performance is good. It boots my 1gb RAM, 2.2ghz processor DELL in 40 secs, and shuts it down in 5 seconds. It also does things quite fast.
But what sucks is the wireless. I'm having the same trouble I had with 9.10. The wireless doesn't seem to work "out-of-the-box", and I'm having more trouble fixing it than I did with 9.10. :
It's really annoying when a component doesn't work out of the box.

Peace.
LostOverThere
10.04 feels much more snappier than 9.10. Then again, I really hated 9.10.

I'm still annoyed with the bugs present. 10.04 didn't detect my resolution correctly, and tried to run it (both the Live CD and first boot) at a resolution so high my monitor couldn't display anything. Thankfully, nomodeset fixed that problem.
menino
Ubuntu is based on linux, and has backing by some companies, that want to bring down Microsoft.
In a way, we users are getting the benfit, as we get improved software to use.

Debian is quite stable, but takes a long time to configure, unless you know linux really well, and your hardware as well.
Iguleder
I think you're wrong, Debian is easy as Ubuntu. And Ubuntu isn't a product of anti-Microsoft companies that allied together, that's totally wrong.

By the way, Debian isn't "quite stable", it's probably the most stable operating system on earth.
Fire Boar
Iguleder wrote:
By the way, Debian isn't "quite stable", it's probably the most stable operating system on earth.

One of, definitely. You'll probably find one of the BSDs to be more stable, but as far as Linux goes I have never had a problem with Debian.
loyal
Fire Boar wrote:
Iguleder wrote:

One of, definitely. You'll probably find one of the BSDs to be more stable, but as far as Linux goes I have never had a problem with Debian.

But isn't that at the cost of new developments? Or what fedora people call "bleeding edge" or something close to that?

Peace.
Fire Boar
No. There are always three versions of Debian going around:

Stable (currently "Lenny") - This is the version that lives up to its name. It's hard to tell if it's stable or outdated.
Testing (currently "Squeeze") - This is where all the new software goes before it's ready for Stable. Testing gets a large number of bugfix updates, and the stability of the software here is similar to the repositories in most of the more popular, cutting edge distributions.
Unstable ("Sid") - This is where software is put when it first comes out. This really is the bleeding edge, and definitely not recommended for the average user.

I'm using Debian Squeeze as my main distribution at the moment, and it strikes a nice balance between stability, speed and up-to-dateness.
ahnguye5
loyal wrote:

I personally am not a fan of the move of the close, minimise, maximise buttons to the left. Is ubuntu suffering identity issues?

Haha, this was pretty annoying as I kept finding myself heading to the upper right to close a window even though I knew beforehand that those buttons were now at the left. It'll take some time to get used to. I tried out the live-cd on an old laptop with 500MB of RAM, don't know the processor offhand, and it did load faster than the older Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid that I had.
welshsteve
I haven't upgraded yet. I'm on 9.04 and had warnings about upgrading to 9.10 (something to do with my graphics card maybe not being supported), so was advised to wait for version 10. As it's now out, I'll probably download it and use it as a Live CD for a bit to see if there are any issues. I'm new to linux but have enjoyed using ubuntu since my windows laptop went bad and I decided to give it a try.
Diablosblizz
I'm slowly making the switch from Windows to Ubuntu on my desktop, as I'm slowly moving away from PC gaming now. I'm loving 10.04 so far, with just a few minor issues that I'm hoping can be fixed:

- Support for my MX revolution Mouse
- Issue with password screen after screensaver
- having both GRUB and MBR
- booting looks weird

Other than that, with Wine everything is running smoothly! Loving it so far, they did a good job.
welshsteve
I have a question for anyone who has used version 10 so far. Will .NET programs such as Paint.NET run under Wine ok in version 10? I HATE the GIMP with a passion and am desperate to get a decent graphics program to use.
Fire Boar
I'd suggest getting the development version of Wine, and a utility called "winetricks" (info on the Wine website). Then run 'winetricks dotnet20' to quickly install .NET 2.0. As far as I know, this works just fine.
welshsteve
Thanks. I will give that a go when I get the chance, and report back if I have any problems Smile
iman
10.04? It's good, I like it better than suse. You can multi boot anyway if you just wanna test it
silverdown
Hey cool thanks, something new to try heheee Laughing
Donutey
It seems nice, compositing is still kind of buggy, I had to turn it off again (like with 9.10). Annoying.

Whenever Valve gets around to releasing a Steam client for linux (hopefully in a few months) I'll probably be able to use linux more exclusively. As it is, I'm using cygwin on Windows 7 most of the time.
LostOverThere
Quote:

It seems nice, compositing is still kind of buggy, I had to turn it off again (like with 9.10). Annoying.

Interesting, what drivers are you using at the moment? Confused
albuferque
Well, there's less people in support channel than when karmic was released.

It's clear Lucid is on its way to achieving its 10 second boot time goal. Google Chrome received lots of buzz because Google says it will boot and be ready for use in seconds; that is only a browser based OS. Now imagine having a full fledged one booting in 10 seconds. I can only see the smiles on the faces of users, both old and new.
Fire Boar
albuferque wrote:
Well, there's less people in support channel than when karmic was released.

It's clear Lucid is on its way to achieving its 10 second boot time goal. Google Chrome received lots of buzz because Google says it will boot and be ready for use in seconds; that is only a browser based OS. Now imagine having a full fledged one booting in 10 seconds. I can only see the smiles on the faces of users, both old and new.

Karmic can boot in 8 seconds off a solid-state drive with a reasonable speed computer. It's literally breathtaking: you switch on, let grub do its thing, the Ubuntu loading logo appears for about half a second before disappearing again - it's literally "blink and you miss it". After about 4 more seconds, X and GDM have loaded.
mexiwithacan
I visited my parents this past weekend and had to wrestle with an old HP Presario S5000NX that would refuse to boot into Windows XP. Finally, I decided to download and install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on the computer. This appeared to work at first, and I was even pleasantly surprised to find that the new Ubuntu had a compatible driver with the old PCI wireless card in the computer. Things looked good... at first.

Then, I ran into a problem that after using Firefox for 10-15 min the screen would go totally blank and the computer would stop responding. This proved to be repeatable as it happened again and again after the first and second restarts. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Also, I haven't tested this myself yet, but on my laptop running Ubuntu 9.10 I am unable to use the sleep or hibernate features (see http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/item/94/). When I do, I cannot resume the previous session and am forced to perform a hard restart. Does anyone know if sleep/hibernation has improved in the new release?
tamilparks
very good for the news,
misterXY
l keep getting bad MD5 sumchecks Sad So l'm getting a family member too burn it and check and see if they get the issue. Might be Waterloo University's server as l downloaded three times... Getting annoyed.. Mad
Fire Boar
misterXY wrote:
l keep getting bad MD5 sumchecks Sad So l'm getting a family member too burn it and check and see if they get the issue. Might be Waterloo University's server as l downloaded three times... Getting annoyed.. Mad

Some filtering software does something rather unusual: it edits out anything with a rude word in it that passes through the usual filters. This is also often the case with binary file transfers. It could well be that somewhere in the 700MB ISO image for Ubuntu is a word that the filters would block. For example, in dictionary software.
welshsteve
Still not got round to trying it yet. But lan on doing so soon.
misterXY
Fire Boar wrote:
misterXY wrote:

Some filtering software does something rather unusual: it edits out anything with a rude word in it that passes through the usual filters. This is also often the case with binary file transfers. It could well be that somewhere in the 700MB ISO image for Ubuntu is a word that the filters would block. For example, in dictionary software.

What programs would do this though? l tried on OpenSUSE (which l dislike) and WinXP, and l haven't got the family member too bring me the CD yet, but l'm not too happy with 10.4 already lol
chartcentral
Just upgraded my Ubuntu from 9.10 to 10.04. The upgrade was not as seamless. I ran into some errors that probably weren't critical (since the installation continued), but in the end, I have some trouble with a missing mouse pointer after login. Smile
milleja46
ssweat wrote:

Just think about this, if you're windows 7 were to crash how would you recover that data? that's where ubuntu comes in, it can read ANY file from windows and recover it, it also makes good server software apparently....