FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Opera 10.52 is Freaky Fast

jwellsy
Opera has been my favorite browser for the past few years. They have just kicked it up several notches with their latest version 10.52. It ROCKS! I mean it's just freaky fast. They are calling it the fastest browser on the planet, and I believe it. They have Mac, pc and Linux versions. check it out.
http://www.opera.com/browser/
mOrpheuS
jwellsy wrote:
I mean it's just freaky fast. They are calling it the fastest browser on the planet, and I believe it.

It sure is !

Almost twice as fast as "the most loved browser".
And since version 10.51, it's faster than Webkit based browsers as well (Chrome, Safari, Iron etc.).

It could have been the most popular browser too, if they put more effort in marketing and less in actual development and innovations (which eventually get copied by everyone else anyway). Wink
jwellsy
To be honest 10.51 gave me a lot of problems in that ~30% of all the major websites would not render at all for me. They came out with 10.52 pretty quickly after that and it cleared up all those rendering issues and it's just blazing fast now. I love it, and don't mind giving those guys some good PR.

BTW, I'm not affiliated at all with them, except as a loyal user.
mOrpheuS
jwellsy wrote:
I love it, and don't mind giving those guys some good PR.

BTW, I'm not affiliated at all with them, except as a loyal user.

I'm not affiliated with them either, except as a user.
But I do feel that Opera deserves the hype more than FireFox.
truespeed
What stopped Opera becoming the all conquering browser it could of been was their decision to make it an ad-sponsored browser (Unless you paid a fee to remove them). At the time firefox was still a small time player,they could easily have the market share that firefox have now had they just made it downloadable for free back then. (The ads weren't removed unitil 2005)
jilbs
cool. i haven't tried opera browser before on my machine. but now, i think I'm going to give it a try. I use Firefox on my desktop and laptop. I hope Opera will have bunch of plug ins too.. Plug ins for both should also be reviewed.
Iguleder
I don't really believe in Opera's approach, which is also the Firefox approach, of using some cross-platform wrapper for different libraries and APIs to draw stuff. XUL does that with XML so things seem native on win32 and GTK, for instance, but that reduces performance and things will never be 100% consistent and well integrated.

I used Opera and I don't like the way it does things and its looks. For Linux, I'd use Midori as a "fast" browser, simply because it's pure GTK.
silverdown
This is really interesting.... I may downlaod Opera... I just got a Windows 7 home Premuim PC and i been using IE8... since it came with it.
Da Rossa
I'm currentrly trying 10.53. Really appears to be faster than Firefox!
Also, the interface is more beautiful.
ganjour
Many Web services do not work correctly with the Opera, for example services of Internet banks, also it is an almost not expanded browser, a transcendental object.
weableandbob
Wow, that looks fast, but it's still Opera, so I think I'll stick with Firefox =/
Da Rossa
what are the main, essential problems with Opera?
william
Oh my, wow. Looks like I'm switching back to Opera. I've never used anything this quick, ever. Opera has always been quick, easily crushing Firefox (which is one of the main reasons I've prefered Opera over Firefox), but it was still within the vicinity of the Webkit browsers and K-Meleon. Now it's just widened the gap.

I mean wow, I really am impressed by this.
welshsteve
I'm beginning to use Opera more and more. Firefox has become a little bloated and slow now, and I suppose the only reason I continue to use it is because of the wide range of add ons that I use every day such as Web Developer Toolbar, Speed Dial, NoScript etc.
[FuN]goku
I've been using Opera (While still using firefox for web development), since they came out with thei Opera Turbo. That's the main reason I love opera , since I have to put up with a dialup connection for 5/7 days of the week. But yeah, the newest version is pretty sexy too. I doubt I'll actually switch over to opera completely though. Firefox has always been my favorite because of the addons I use with it for web development/security testing.
lethaltriad
I've been a hardcore Firefox user for years and just said I would try out Opera for PC. Been using Opera Mini for my blackberry and it was pretty good, just a bit chunky for a phone though. So far though for PC its been great, i imported all of my bookmarks from Firefox and have my Opera ready for heavy browsing.

It seems to handle memory much better than Firefox so far and its alot more fun to use, much less clutter and more space for browsing. I always used my Firefox without any add ons so right now Opera seems to be a perfect switch for me.

everything just seems sleeker on Opera, even the spell checker options lol
harismushtaq
In my opinion, Opera is the best browser.

@jwellsy, I am also using Opera version 10.51 but so far, I did not see any website that does not work with it.

@jilbs, From Firefox version 3.6 onwards, XPCOM will not be supported for scripting. Instead NPRUNTIME should be used with NPAPI plugins. Since Opera support NPAPI plugins and NPRUNTIME, technically, all firefox plugins can be run on Opera.

@Iguleder. There is lot of work a browser has to do before it starts rendering objects on the screen. Opera has a core set of components that handle all this stuff and thus it is reusable on all platforms. About rendering, I am not sure, but some analysts say that opera has the ability to use hardware acceleration to improve rendering performance. Moreover, using different browsers on different platforms is not generally very user friendly as it is easier to work with one 'Look and Feel' then several different.

@ganjour, Opera has a very good rank in supporting W3C and other web standards. Unfortunately, bad software developers, instead of developing applications along the standards, do not follow the standards and just test their applications in Internet Explorer and Firefox and and script to allow pages to work only on these two browsers. If you really think that a website does not have this problem and still does not run, then I think it is an issue but mostly it is developers mistake. I agree with you about the expandability stuff. There are some tools to add some custom functions, menus, scripts etc in Opera but not equivalent to Firefox extensions, I think.

@weableandbob, Firefox! wow, that looks slow but still it's Firefox, So I think, I'll stick with Opera Very Happy
Radar
All of this talk is very intriguing, and the most positive reviews I've seen of Opera... well, ever. However, considering that I currently switch between Safari, Firefox and Chrome for different activities, I'm less than keen to add another browser to the list.

Oh, and being a Mac user, I think it's very hard to ever stop using Safari, but you know.
mOrpheuS
Wait ! there's more !

It gets better -

Radar wrote:
All of this talk is very intriguing, and the most positive reviews I've seen of Opera... well, ever. However, considering that I currently switch between Safari, Firefox and Chrome for different activities, I'm less than keen to add another browser to the list.

Oh, and being a Mac user, I think it's very hard to ever stop using Safari, but you know.

Opera for Mac also happens to be pretty good.
http://webworkerdaily.com/2010/04/27/opera-10-5-mac-released-still-the-fastest-browser-on-earth/

[FuN]goku wrote:
still using firefox for web development

Althrough Dragonfly is not as good as Firebug (yet), it's improving.
Iguleder
I still don't like Opera, for many reasons:
1. Not free software.
2. Massive branding and crappy online services integrated.
3. Ugly.
4. Loads pages in a funny way, unlike Firefox ... dunno, it does things in a different way.

I still stick with my Firefox. And ELinks Wink
william
Iguleder wrote:
I still don't like Opera, for many reasons:
1. Not free software.
3. Ugly.
4. Loads pages in a funny way, unlike Firefox ... dunno, it does things in a different way.

I still stick with my Firefox. And ELinks Wink

Not free? I believe it's been free since 2000 when version 5 came out. Unless you mean it's not open source.

Not sure what you mean by massive branding or ugly. If you ask me it's probably the sleekest of the major browsers.

And about loading pages, Opera's Presto engine follows web standards better than Firefox's Gecko engine. However, it seems many web developers don't test Opera, hence slight differences, but it's been improved since version 8.
escritor
Iguleder wrote:
1. Not free software.

Being open source, or at least having some system to let users and supporters improve existing "native" features, would really make a difference. Users like me beg them to update some old features, like the IRC client and the download manager, but instead of improving them, Opera software chooses to release a new feature that will also be left behind in development (the BitTorrent client is an example).

Iguleder wrote:

Massive branding? Where? As for the options you don't use (such as Unite), don't touch them and they won't use any system resources.
Iguleder wrote:
3. Ugly.

There are several skins, and all may be installed without restarting the browser; there are also all kinds of customizations (icons, buttons, panels, and even context menus may be moved and customized) to change its appearance.
Iguleder wrote:

It shows the HTML content while downloading external files (such as .css stylesheets) whenever possible. It helps to make it feel faster (or "funny", as you said). As for doing things in a different way, well, if that's a problem for you, you better stick with your browser traditions. Smile
menino
Opera 10.53 is pretty fast, but doesn't have as many features as Firefox, and soon Firefox 4.0 will be coming out in some time, after which that may be better than the current version.

I like Opera though.