FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Quit smoking

ChunkyBustout
Does anyone have a good way to quit smoking? I'm starting to feel like a dope fiend when I'm out of cigarettes. I think if I'm out of smokes for more than a day, I just may smoke some kitchen spices just to get my oral fixation under control. Anyone else have a similar problem?
hahame
buy some electronical cigarettes to instead
dan751
Take Niccorette, Icemint flavor.Very Happy or the Nicoderm Patch.Very Happy Asides those I honestly can't say I know of a good way to quit because I've never even tried smoking and I never plan to.
psycosquirrel
I can't say I have ever smoked, but I can say I never will...

Not to flame or anything, but smoking is a stupid thing to start in the first place...

Supposedly those niccotine patches work only a little bit. As with any bad habit, it takes more willpower than drugs or physical help to overcome.
vlnjodie
First, the fact that you are talking about quiting is great. Keep talking about it and your progress to anyone who will listen. I would suggest finding something you like to do that you can distract yourself with whenever you feel a craving. Don't let any temptation lay around, and find people to help you keep a strong will!

These are links to the American Cancer Society web page. They may have more tips in that I didn't find, but this should give you a good start. Plus maybe a few added incentives for quiting.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_10_13X_Guide_for_Quitting_Smoking.asp?sitearea=PED
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_2_1x_How_to_Quit_Smoking.asp

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

vlnjodie
krazeek
im home alone 15 years old drinking beer while working on my website. and i have the munchies. cheese sounds really good right now and i know i am a under-age drunk, but what can you say when theres a fridgerator filled with good beer and your parents are 40-50 miles away? yes thats what i thought drink all the beer!!
ChunkyBustout
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I'm getting weird with this smoking thing and I would like to kick it. Need to before something goes very bad since I've been very lucky having the good health I've had.
Juppe
It's could be difficul when you have startet :S
Helios
I think that you have to be very psychologically strong.
To be psychologically strong you gotta train it from youth..
as I did.. =P

I mean, i'm sick now(yea.. winter has come) but i can run, lift weights, eat(for god's sake! when did you see a sick dude eating a toast with tea xD)

I have also smoked for some time.. but overcomed in a zap!

You just have to be stronger than yourself i guess.

and it's very hard.

I guess quit smoking is like quit eating for fat people..

But when we think about it, it's all in thine head.
You just have to make those neurons recover and they shalt! cuz the brain is a "powerful" organ.. it can modify itself for your needs.

dude, i'm talking from experience here.
budazz
hahame wrote:
buy some electronical cigarettes to instead

well never heard of that....lol Laughing

my father and uncles are smoker...they've warned many times and i think it's hard for them to quit smoking.. Rolling Eyes
falconfx
psycosquirrel wrote:
I can't say I have ever smoked, but I can say I never will...

Not to flame or anything, but smoking is a stupid thing to start in the first place...

Supposedly those niccotine patches work only a little bit. As with any bad habit, it takes more willpower than drugs or physical help to overcome.

I really agree with you!

I swear I'll never smoke.
SilverDogg
just quit! its all in your head! you dont need any patches or gums to be able to quit. just smoke up your last cigarets, and then let it be. if you have some selfcontrol you wont have that much problem.

like i said, its all in the head.
SystemWisdom
I just recently quit! Yay!!

My method: Get a really bad cold so that each drag feels like it is gonna suffocate you, and then you won't be able to smoke.. keep that cold for a week and you'll find that, after your cold is gone, and you have already forcefully quit for one week, staying away from smokes is alot easier!!

Razz (Worked for me!)
Nameless
The best way to quit is not to start. People who start smoking are weak and are giving into peer pressure. It is a stupid and harmful thing to do for yourself and people around you.

Oh, I'm sorry. I just went into auto-mode when the word smoking came up. My health teacher repeats these things so often.

But anyway, when my grandparents quit smoking they just quit cold turkey. If you're really serious... just stop smoking and lock yourself in your room watching movies until the cravings go away. Yes, I am aware how hard that is and I mean no offence by suggesting it.
ankhezar
try to find something that will replace it
nunosilva
chew gums, It's an idea! or nicotine bands.......
SilverDogg
Nameless wrote:
The best way to quit is not to start. People who start smoking are weak and are giving into peer pressure. It is a stupid and harmful thing to do for yourself and people around you.

Oh, I'm sorry. I just went into auto-mode when the word smoking came up. My health teacher repeats these things so often.

But anyway, when my grandparents quit smoking they just quit cold turkey. If you're really serious... just stop smoking and lock yourself in your room watching movies until the cravings go away. Yes, I am aware how hard that is and I mean no offence by suggesting it.

i disagree. while many start because of pressure from friends and whatnot, many starts because it makes them relaxed. it makes them social. it gives them something other things cant.

i do agree though that it is bad for you, but who are we to decide what others do with their lifes?
cnnet
somking is not good for ourselves
but ppl usually can't stop the bad habit
I don't some
so I don't have good ideas for this
speedlikecy
smoke is the work of waste money
and will get a bad body...

i hate people smoke... Mad Mad Mad
so wish you all will never try it.....
silvermesh
it does help to have something else to suck on, like a pen, that replaces the psychological desire to do the action, and as far as the chemical addiction, ive heard the gum can be just as addictive as the cigarettes, so id go with the patch Wink

personally I never smoked. My health is odd enough as it is.
ashok
nunosilva wrote:

yeah heard that nicotine patches will help a lot...
adwya
IAM HEAVY SMOCKER
DarkYuke
krazeek wrote:
im home alone 15 years old drinking beer while working on my website. and i have the munchies. cheese sounds really good right now and i know i am a under-age drunk, but what can you say when theres a fridgerator filled with good beer and your parents are 40-50 miles away? yes thats what i thought drink all the beer!!

Apart from the fact that your underage, drunk, breaking the law and that its really unhealthy, I don't see the relevance to the topic. But anyway...

And the idea about chewing gum, not bad, though maybe you should try some of those cigarrette shaped lollies. God, they tasted niceeeeeee when I was small. Plus, they're nice to suk on. ^^
yzy
MY FRIEND ALWAYS SMOKE,SO HE HAS BLACK TEETH AND AWFUL PNEUMONA ,THAT'S A BAD NEWS.ALL OF US KNOW IT IS NOT GOOD FOR OUR HEALTH,SO DON'T TRY TO SMOKE OR STOP SMOKE.
Zaheer Khan
you can quit smoking by instructing yourself that you wll not smoke again. its something like hypnotism Wink or you can use any medicen for this purpose. many medicens are available for this. i too smoke but i dont like smoking Rolling Eyes
silvermesh
hypnotism is actually a good idea. I've known a couple people who got themselves hypnotised to quit smoking, and it actually worked.

youd have to find a clinical hypnotist to do that(I can't help but wonder if something so odd even exists outside the US)
kung_fu_stu
just whine yourself off of it. If anything you will reduce the amout you smoke and that in itself will be better. Smokeing is also an oral fixation as well as an addiction. Many people start chewing gum or maybe sunflower seeds. anything you can think of to replace the need of putting the cigarette to your mouth.

If you do quit don't be one of those people who quits and then suddenly becomes a preacher. Just be proud of yourself.
tylergram
Deleted
jabapyth
nunosilva wrote:

Yah. Chewing gum is helpful to satisfy that "Oral Craving".
Archetype
Bleh, I have to quit smoking. I've been smoking for about 6 years now, and it's just killing me... literally. Laughing

I rode my bike into work yesterday, because my car's a bit messed up right now. It was hotter than hell (about 38 deg. celsius), and after I finished my trip, my heart must have palpatated about 15 times in a row. I was about ready to call 911. That was kind of an eye opener for me, and I realize that I have to stop, becasue I have already taken years off my life with this dumb habit.

Maybe I'll look into the gum, or patches or whatever. I've heard great success stories about them, but damn are they pricey. Sad
jcvincent
I was once a smoker. To be honest, I never really liked it. But there's something in it that makes me smoke. I don't know why. I quit smioking for about 4 years now. It was our summer vacation when I quit smoking. You know what I did? I never went out of the house for about a month. I forced myself not to smoke that time. Well, it's not that bad at all. I just don't know about you. I'm different from you. But that's how I quit smoking. Just try to minimize it day by day. if today you smoke 20 sticks tomorrow 19, then 18, then 17, and so on.

You can do it! All you need is the will to quit!
Shanghai_Dragon
You should go some place that lets you see tarred lungs from smokers. It will scare you so much that you won't want to smoke anymore. Try drinking green tea everytime you get an urge to smoke... that might help. Confused
leat397
Somehow I think that smoking was just something you are eager to, but not physically want. So, if you could understand this concept, you might not be easily to let your mind take over the situation...

I have smoked for a few years and my last smoke was 5 years before...ne honest smoking really brought me relaxation but nothing good else. At that time, my temper, my health and my life was ruined becasuse I took cigerette as my living dependent.. It was a down time in my life and I even thought of suicide ( in fact the act of smoking is one of this way out, clearly i know how bad it is to my health) smoking is a slow form of suicide.....

In my experience, I suggest you should be clear that you life shouldn't bear with smoking or it would go along with you till your death..
Bear in mind that, you should be mentally mature enough to control stop smoking, be confident! And, start out a healthy life e.g. do more sports, gym, build up your body figure......so make up a good target in your life would let you label smoking is unbearable in your life....