FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A question about ADC and DAC

Denvis
Will the quality of an audio file that has been continuously converted back and fourth from analog to digital, digital to analog degrade in any form?

Personally, I do. I think it will degrade. I don't use any converters except video converts and I don't notice any differences between each format.

Why I think it degrades?

Because of the sampling rate. When analog is converted to digital (in terms of audio) that is sampling. What i'm concerned is the sampling rate. Sampling rate is when you take a slice (so to speak) of an analog wave, measure the volume and you convert it to a digit number which in term represents digital audio resulting in the digitizing of sound.

I know that the higher the sampling rate, the better the sound quality. Let's say I take an analog wave and I digitize it (ADC). I use a high sampling rate. Will that degrade the quality of that file?

Then, if I take that digitized file and I convert that back into an analog file (DAC) will the quality still be the same?
SonLight
Analog transmission and conversion of any kind risks loss of quality. There may be no practical degradation in some cases, but there is undoubtedly some difference in the files. It is wise to convert any media file to digital, and maintain it in a high-resolution digital format until ready to perform.

Of course if the sampling rate is high enough, the file might be converted back-and-forth numerous times without noticeable video or audio degradation.
Denvis
SonLight wrote:
Analog transmission and conversion of any kind risks loss of quality. There may be no practical degradation in some cases, but there is undoubtedly some difference in the files. It is wise to convert any media file to digital, and maintain it in a high-resolution digital format until ready to perform.

Of course if the sampling rate is high enough, the file might be converted back-and-forth numerous times without noticeable video or audio degradation.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.